[S] Videos at IMDb
Jul. 04, 2011, 02:30 PM
RE: [S] Videos at IMDb
(Jul. 04, 2011 07:57 AM)zoltan Wrote:  But I thought the 0=a_jslink was for javascript links that were part of the html page and had nothing to do with doubleclick. They got an exception for every imdb page with your code suggestion in post #2 above. I had been using that until now.

But imdb adresses that have doubleclick in their path do not appear to need the exception so why add it blindly? Am I wrong?

(Jul. 04, 2011 07:57 AM)zoltan Wrote:  The key was understanding that "$OHDR(referer:" is necessary if you want to allow a URL only when it's called from a page at another site. Quite an important thing to know actually.

A complication is that some Proxomitron users' browsers don't send referers.

(Jul. 04, 2011 07:57 AM)zoltan Wrote:  I'm not sure what's being suggested here.

You asked "does activating it somehow deactivate other filters?", I was suggesting that you could see that the answer is yes.

(Jul. 04, 2011 07:57 AM)zoltan Wrote:  Can a background .gif really be blocked in Exceptions-U ?

Code:
## various redirects
##
## example:
## this.site.com/foo/bad_pic.gif        $RDIR(http://local.ptron/killed.gif)
##
## example with log line:
## [^.]+.pheedo.com/(img.phdo|feeds/tracker.php)
##   ($OHDR(Referer: \3)|)$ADDLST(Log-Rare,HDR_Out IncEx\t\u Ref: \3)
##   $JUMP(http://local.ptron/killed.gif)
## ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So adding

Code:
prxbx.com/*logo.jpg $RDIR(http://local.ptron/killed.gif)

should block the prxbx logo. Could also block a requested background GIF.

Code:
prxbx.com/*logo.jpg $RDIR(http://local.ptron/killed.gif?prxbxlogo)

should add a tag so that you could follow events in the Proxomitron's log window.

HTH
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 07, 2011, 06:00 AM
(Jul. 04, 2011 02:30 PM)JJoe Wrote:  But imdb adresses that have doubleclick in their path do not appear to need the exception so why add it blindly? Am I wrong?

I may still be thinking of the expression incorrectly. Example: An imdb page with a doubleclick video. Below the video on the same page are js links. I assumed that the OR in the expression meant that 1=adpath:0 will be applied to the video, but that 0=a_jslink will not be applied to the links. Actually this may be irrelevant now because I've just noticed that imdb seems to have abandoned the javascript links they had a month or so ago.

JJoe Wrote:  You asked "does activating it somehow deactivate other filters?", I was suggesting that you could see that the answer is yes.

Got it. So definitely not a good idea to delete the adpaths/adhosts entries. And the $RDIR to killed.gif does block the background. I may use that if Block Ad URLs breaks too many pages. Thanks for the explanations.
Jul. 08, 2011, 01:44 AM
(Jul. 07, 2011 06:00 AM)zoltan Wrote:  Example: An imdb page with a doubleclick video. Below the video on the same page are js links. I assumed that the OR in the expression meant that 1=adpath:0 will be applied to the video, but that 0=a_jslink will not be applied to the links.

Ah, the entries in the Proxomitron's lists may match the address that the browser displays or the addresses of the files that the browser requests to create the "web page" that the browser displays.

For example, the imdb webpage contains some js links and an iframe that displays a video. To modify the iframe's content, a list entry may need to match the address of the file that builds the iframe. List entries to modify the js links in the file coming from the address displayed by the browser, however, need to match the address displayed by the browser.

Some make this mistake with the bypass list. The address to bypass may not be displayed by the browser.
Jul. 08, 2011, 09:16 PM
I do understand that the main page (listed in the address box) often has a different address than some of the files used on the same page, but in the case of this exception below

Code:
www.imdb.com/(*doubleclick$SET(1=adpath:0.)|$SET(0=a_jslink.))

both would obviously be hosted at imdb.com, so it would seem that if the imdb...doubleclick part matched, then the jslink part could not, since both are at imdb.com, the same domain.

If that isn't true (and apparently it's not), what specifically is the "or" expression excluding?
Jul. 09, 2011, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: Jul. 09, 2011 01:51 AM by JJoe.)
(Jul. 08, 2011 09:16 PM)zoltan Wrote:  
Code:
www.imdb.com/(*doubleclick$SET(1=adpath:0.)|$SET(0=a_jslink.))

both would obviously be hosted at imdb.com, so it would seem that if the imdb...doubleclick part matched, then the jslink part could not, since both are at imdb.com, the same domain.

You are correct. When the doubleclick part matches the jslink part can not.

However, from what I saw, when the doubleclick part matches the jslink part was not needed and vice versa.

So I don't understand why you think the doubleclick part could affect addresses that don't contain doubleclick...

I must be misunderstanding something.
Jul. 09, 2011, 06:53 AM
I think I just had one of those light bulb moments and finally get it. As I learned in post 2 of this thread, once an address is matched in a list, it can't be matched again. That concept had gotten hazily merged in my mind with the idea of 2 potential addresses from the same domain separated by an OR. Because of that, I was thinking that matching the video from imdb.com would (because of the OR) prevent the js links from imdb from being matched down the page.

In other words, I was thinking that it ran the whole page through the exception expression in one instance. But the new understanding is that it looks for matches one at a time. So even if the doubleclick part matched, it wouldn't matter because when it parsed the js links URL, it would be a fresh instance of checking the expression for a match. The doubleclick match would be irrelevant. Of course, by this understanding it's amost impossible to think of a situation where the OR would matter.

Hopefully this isn't totally off base.
Jul. 09, 2011, 02:13 PM
There you go. Smile!

Each request (as shown and numbered in the Proxomitron's log window) begins a new filtering instance.

Have fun