The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum

Full Version: Safe FTP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
FTP is a dark corner I have yet to explore.I remember the very first time I used Hyper Terminal to upgrade me firmware...think I must've been wearing my clever-trousers that day because my mind goes totally blank when I attempt to recall the procedure.

So,clearly,I need educating otherwise I may compromise the security of my computer-and that's bad news for the Internet Community.

What I would like to be able to do is transfer files to my friend.I'm being perfectly honest-I haven't got a clue how to get it all set up.

Clearly,I need an FTP application.Since I am the one transporting the files to my friend,does that mean I need a file server,as opposed to client ?

What does my friend need?And how does she "check in" to download the files?

Yes,I have heard of Google,but by and large when I *try* researching a topic,I end up even more in the dark than when I began.Hope you don't mind me consulting you all.

Thank you in advance for any insights.
Odds are, she is *already* set up to download the files...
IE will view FTP sites by default - just type in "ftp://Jaded_Goth" into the address bar...

Now, as far as setting it up on your end, I'm afraid I too need to wait until others chime in...

I used to use a program called "CuteFTP", but that was a LONG time ago...
If you want to FTP between your machine and your friend's, both would need to have a local FTP server.
I use Sambar, also because it supports FTPS (secure FTP). After that you would need an FTP client.
FileZilla is open-source and speaks FTPS as well.

If that is too much hustle, you could use an IM that supports secure mode (incl. file transfers). I mostly use AIM (inside the Trillian shell).

Edit: Just saw that we are in the "Proxomitron Filters - Others" subforum. Smile!
Note that there is a new "Other - General Security" subforum. -- Moved there.

sidki
Jaded_Goth;

in re: FTP Services

Installing an FTP server on your machine is somewhere between a no-brainer and rocket-science, to be sure. I have a couple of possible alternatives for you to consider before you make up your mind, and Option Three has a link to a page of downloadable server software.

Options:
One, ask your ISP if you can use your personal space for this purpose. My ISP allows me to have anonymous or authenticated FTP, but many people don't get this benefit.

Two, you can use your regular HTML website host to act as a server, in a back door fashion. Just upload a page to your host server, and on that page, a javascript would contain the code to present the d/l option to whomever views the site. Fairly straightforward, but very little to no security.

Three, you can install a tiny FTP server. Many such beasts can be found at FTP Servers, a page from http://www.download.com. Most of them are at least free to try, and a few are genuinely free.

And Four, there is another possibility - you could try P2P, instead of the client/server scenario. In the past I haven't been fond of this, for all the usual reasons, but it does make sense in this situation.

I've recently become involved with some fellow working musicians, and all of them are using WinMX. (Looks like I'm the odd man out, yet again. Big Teeth) The proggie appears to be pretty well thought out, and they claim that they're having no problems with "outside influences", if you get my drift. Perhaps this might suit you and your buddy, and be easier on your frayed nerves. :P

Good luck!

Oddysey
Having not installed my IMs again after this last flush, I'm happy just using P2P in conunction with Protowall and Sygate. Of course, this puts your file(s) out on a network, so make sure they aren't of you sunbathing nude.

As far as filesharing between friends, I just give them remote control of my machine for however long it takes to DL or use IP addys to add them to my network.

Of course, I can get a new IP any time I want. You may not have this luxury.
sidki3003 Wrote:Edit: Just saw that we are in the "Proxomitron Filters - Others" subforum. Smile!
Note that there is a new "Other - General Security" subforum. -- Moved there.

sidki
Ooops,yes..sorry."My bad" as they say in these yar parts.

Well,thanks you all for your comprehensive answers.Plenty of options,there.

Mmmm..I do have Filezilla-plus on disc I have the other Filezilla-looking thing that's actually a server.

Admittedly,instant messaging programmes scare the life out of me-but this does sound like the most simple option.I may well be up for learning something complex,but my mate might not be.

I suppose,if I let just a select few friends know my handle,and restricted I.M.s to only folks on my friends list,I wouldn't get hassled by 23 year old Egyptian Engineers..(Sheer
hell).Might be rather nice...

There again FTP Jaded_Goth sounds kewl...

Oddysey,I'm off to suss out WinMX,in a mo.

a_s_b,you cheeky young pup.As if I'd ever been photographed under such lurid circumstances.
Had I been,and those pics went on general release,it'd be the equivalent of the most fearsome virus out there.

I like your idea of granting remote access to my computer to my friend,though.I had also offered to store files for her so she wont have to shell out for online storage.

I more or less know how to implement that,too.

Thanks for taking such good care of me,you guys!
Quote:Oddysey,I'm off to suss out WinMX,in a mo.

I suggest you use Shareaza. Aside from a general unease about my IP being given out on the network, it's the finest p2p program I've ever used. If you have a firewall and Protowall, you'll be fine.

Quote:a_s_b,you cheeky young pup.As if I'd ever been photographed under such lurid circumstances.

Ahh, but you never say such circumstances don't exist Wink

Quote:Had I been,and those pics went on general release,it'd be the equivalent of the most fearsome virus out there.

I've seen the horrors on the internet. I've been subject to attrocities which make goatse and tubgirl look like children's entertainment. I've viewed things which should be classified as war crimes. If a virus, your pic would at worst be comparable to a cold.

Quote:I like your idea of granting remote access to my computer to my friend,though.I had also offered to store files for her so she wont have to shell out for online storage.

I more or less know how to implement that,too.

As much as I hate it, there's something to be said for Microsoft's "user friendly" mantra now and then.

Quote:Thanks for taking such good care of me,you guys!

Any time. Sorry I couldn't be of much more help on the FTP front. Last I used it was before CuteFTP existed, and I'm sure that by now the standards have changed.
Reference URL's