Will not install, 64bit autopacjage not found
Jan. 21, 2007, 03:38 PM
Will not install, 64bit autopacjage not found
I'm running Suse 10.2 64bit, I have bfilter 1.0.6 installed, the 32bit version.

When I dl the bfilter-gui script for 1.0.8 and run it I get the following error:

atempting download of http://www.allaboutgames.co.uk/autopacka...opackag... ...

--18:44:57-- http://www.allaboutgames.co.uk/autopacka...opackag...
=> `autopackage.tar.bz2'
Resolving http://www.allaboutgames.co.uk... 82.165.123.208
Connecting to http://www.allaboutgames.co.uk|82.165.123.208|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
18:44:58 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Download failed.

Why? Thanks,
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 21, 2007, 04:49 PM
RE: Will not install, 64bit autopacjage not found
BFilter 1.0.6 was using Autopackage 1.0.x, while later versions are using Autopackage 1.2.x. Looks like they broke something in 1.2.x series. I'll ask at their mailing list, but as far as I remember, none of them have a 64bit system, and neither do I.
Jan. 21, 2007, 04:53 PM
As I am currently running the 32bit (on my 64bit system) without any problem how can I force the script to install the 32bit version instead of attempting to install a non-existant 64bit?

thanks,
Jan. 21, 2007, 04:58 PM
The real question is: Why does it try to download 64bit support code if such thing doesn't even exist? That's the question I'll be asking on Autopackage mailing list.
Jan. 31, 2007, 01:23 PM
myBB RE: Will not install, 64bit autopacjage not found
jart Wrote:The real question is: Why does it try to download 64bit support code if such thing doesn't even exist? That's the question I'll be asking on Autopackage mailing list.

As you've released 10.9 and I'm unable to upgrade past 1.06 I gotta ask if there's any progress in resolving this.

thanks,
Jan. 31, 2007, 02:31 PM
No progress, unfortunately.
I asked on the autopackage mailing list, but got no response.
Jan. 31, 2007, 03:17 PM
am I the only one with this issue? could it be something specific to my configuration? I can't be the only one running 64bit and installing a autopacked program

have you ever considered using klik as a way to distribute bfilter?

would you consider using an earlier version of autopackage that didn't have this issue?

lastly how problematic is it to compile both ace and bfilter from source?

ok one more, is 1.09 considerably better than 1.06

thanks, really like the program
Jan. 31, 2007, 03:45 PM
You are not the only one. The reason because few people face this problem is because most people run 32bit distributions on their 64bit hardware, at least that's my theory.

What I am going to do is to install a 64bit distribution inside qemu and try to reproduce and fix the problem.
If I don't succeed, next BFilter releases will use Autopackage 1.0.x again.

As for staying with 1.0.6: If you don't see many false positives (usually on blogs) and you don't need multiple forwarding configurations, then you don't miss much.
Feb. 02, 2007, 04:23 PM
Installing a 64bit distro in QEMU almost worked, but not quite - installing a boot loader failed. Apparently Grub crashing in QEMU with 64bit emulation is a known problem.
Anyway, I took a look at autopackage sources, and found one problem. You can workaround it by downloading autopackage.tar.bz2 manually and putting it next to the *.package file. There can be more problems, but you should still try it.
Feb. 04, 2007, 07:19 PM
"Installing a 64bit distro in QEMU almost worked, but not quite - installing a boot loader failed."
-You could try VmwareServer or Player, they are both free but I'm not sure about the quality of 64 bit client support

"You can workaround it by downloading autopackage.tar.bz2 manually and putting it next to the *.package file. "
- I don't understand this, do I run "install" for autopackage? I think I'll wait

thanks,
Feb. 05, 2007, 02:52 PM
VMWare only supports 64bit guests on 64bit hosts, so that's not an option for me.

Quote:- I don't understand this, do I run "install" for autopackage? I think I'll wait
Let me clarify. You download autopackage.tar.bz2 from the link in my previous post, put it to the same directory as bfilter-gui-1.0.9.x86.package, then install the package file as usual. This may work.
Feb. 05, 2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks, that worked. I just assumed that if it's a tar file I'm supposed to extract and install it (especially if there's an install script).

Will let you know if there's any probems, so far it seems fine.

thanks,
Feb. 19, 2007, 02:01 AM
did you see this article http://specialreports.linux.com/article....38&tid=113 ?
Feb. 19, 2007, 06:14 AM
Yes. The article says autopackage is dying, which may be true. However, there are no good alternatives, so I am going to continue using it.
Two possible alternatives are Klik and Zero Install.
Klik has 3 big problems:
1. It's a centralized repository, so when you release a new version, you email the Klik people and ask them to update your listing.
2. It offers no desktop integration beyond a menu entry. Now, this doesn't affect BFilter, as it needs nothing more than a menu entry.
3. You may not run more than 8 Klick applications at a time. Again, not a problem for BFilter, but still a problem with Klick.

As for Zero Install, it's far from a point-and-click installer.
Feb. 19, 2007, 01:03 PM
Isn't there one other? Package it like FireFox, OpenOffice, Flash, Acrobat, etc ...... This would be a "static compile"?

Or maybe http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2086589,00.asp