Where are Kye-U's filters?
Jan. 16, 2007, 02:49 AM
Question Where are Kye-U's filters?
for some reason, i can't download kye-u's latest browser security pack (v4.57). i'm getting a 403 error (forbidden). is something perhaps wrong with my browser? the link i used:

http://74.53.146.215/paFileDB/index.php?...load&id=57
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 16, 2007, 07:35 AM
RE: Where are Kye-U's filters?
jumproper;
Quote:for some reason, i can't download kye-u's latest browser security pack (v4.57). i'm getting a 403 error (forbidden). is something perhaps wrong with my browser? the link i used:

http://74.53.146.215/paFileDB/index.php?...load&id=57

Hey, Welcome to the forums!

What you're getting is the result of a database screw-up. Sadly, only Kye-U can fix this, I think it has to do with security procedures or some such thing, I dunno. All I know is that I can't fix it for you, sorry to say.

Hang tight, Our Fearless Leader will be checking in shorly, I'm sure, and no doubt he'll fix the problem mosh-kosh. Tooth Left

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Jan. 16, 2007, 08:54 AM
Smile RE: Where are Kye-U's filters?
thank you so much for the prompt reply! i was actually surprised that nobody else had mentioned it (at least i couldn't find any posts about it)! it has been around 2 to 3 weeks since i've known of this, as far as i can remember. i thought at first that i had the wrong link, but after following many sources to the same page, i felt that something was either wrong with my browser or the download itself. at any rate, other threads seem to indicate that kye-u is currently busy at university, so i'm very grateful that someone has noticed!
Jan. 17, 2007, 07:26 AM
jumproper;
Quote:......
I'm very grateful that someone has noticed!
No problem. Smile!

It's a bone of contention for Our Fearless Leader that he can't hand over the database administration for repairs like this. Or at least it was at one point in time. I doubt that he's placed a high priority on moving the forums to some other server, just to get over this hurdle. D'oh! We used to experience this a lot, in the early days, but then the host provider finally settled down, and the servers stopped "glitching" so often. Applause But every once in awhile...... Sad

Kye-U usally checks in at least once a day. If he's not yet seen this, after 36 hours, then he's probably doing some family get-away thing between semesters. Whistling Don't worry, he'll be back.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Jan. 21, 2007, 06:32 AM
Hi!

The folder has been chmodded to "000", which means even I cannot access it...strange...

Anyways, my security pack hasn't been updated for a while now, so if you are using up to date browsers (Opera 9, Mozilla 2, IE 7), then you are secure =]

I find that a major variable in preventing exploits from executing is Javascript, so Firefox + the NoScript extension is highly secure (http://www.noscript.net/)
Visit this user's website
Jan. 21, 2007, 03:26 PM
Kye-U Wrote:I find that a major variable in preventing exploits from executing is Javascript...
Amen to that (but no need for Firefox + NoScript to attain such an end-in-mind) Big Teeth
Jan. 21, 2007, 10:55 PM
Kye-U Wrote:Hi!

The folder has been chmodded to "000", which means even I cannot access it...strange...

Anyways, my security pack hasn't been updated for a while now, so if you are using up to date browsers (Opera 9, Mozilla 2, IE 7), then you are secure =]

I find that a major variable in preventing exploits from executing is Javascript, so Firefox + the NoScript extension is highly secure (http://www.noscript.net/)

does this mean we will never again see another security pack released after 4.57? is there another source if we do need 4.57 (perhaps another link)?

maybe i should try out firefox. meanwhile, are there things your filters can do that noscript can't?
Jan. 22, 2007, 12:49 PM
you don't need a Firefox "extension" to kill scripts (not a big fan of "extensions" in general)...

if you "must" use Firefox, go to Tools -> Options -> Content tab and merely uncheck the Enable JavaScript checkbox...

of course, that assumes that the "extension" is killing any and ALL scripts, including those inserted by Proxo (of course, it "appears" that the extension is emulating Internet Explorer's 'block ActiveX' feature, so you can handpick which scripts to allow and which to block as IE does for ActiveX)...

in Opera, go to Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced tab -> Content section and merely uncheck the Enable JavaScript checkbox...

in many other browsers, the option is a "download control" and you tell the browser to not download scripts...

all that aside, your "best bet" is to actually ALLOW scripts per your browser's settings (so that Proxo scripts can do their thing) but have Proxo "block scripts by default" (ie, in sidki's set, not sure how Grypen's set handles scripts)...

I HIGHLY recommend blocking scripts by default...
allow them on your "daily" trusted (keyword) sites, but don't allow them on random sites you land upon that you don't know are trustworthy until AFTER visiting them, at which time it has already ran any unwanted scripts that you would have otherwise allowed by default... sidki's Prox menu allows you to refresh the page and allow the scripts if you yourself decide to do so... Can't stress it enough, don't allow the websites you visit to run scripts until you yourself decide to do so...