active -- passive
Sep. 09, 2006, 09:50 PM
active -- passive
i am a new user of bfilter 1.06

in the sys.tray, if you right-click mouse on bfilter-icon, you can choose to turn "active" into "passive".

Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

(i feel silly for asking, but i tried looking in documentation, as well as
doing a google-search)

thanks.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Sep. 10, 2006, 04:16 AM
RE: active -- passive
Active / Passive is the current status and you can switch between them. In passive mode, no filtering is done. If BFilter breaks a site, which is possible although unlikely, the easiest thing you can do is to switch to passive mode and reload the page. A long-term solution would be to create a NOFILTER rule in Advanded Configuration.
Sep. 10, 2006, 09:30 PM
-Thank You Jart-
Oct. 18, 2006, 01:10 PM
I already wrote once that the way it's worded is somewhat confusing. If BFilter is currently passive, then clicking on the item "passive" is perceived as making it passive. I.e. If I click "X", it means that I select X. I think it would be more clear if the menu item read "activate/deactivate", or (worse) only "active" with and without the checkmark.
Oct. 18, 2006, 02:37 PM
Activate/Deactivate would be bad because the checkmark would lose its meaning. I really don't want to remove the checkmark, because it allows me not to read the text next to it.
In the Linux version I did the following:
When this item is highlighted (mouse over it), its Activate/Deactivate, otherwise its Active (with checkmark)/Passive(without checkmark).
I would do the same thing for Windows, but it turns out there is no way to detect the "menu item loosing its focus" event.
Oct. 19, 2006, 05:34 AM
It would seem to be much easier to interpret on a Macintosh. If it is filtering, the location has (BF) in front of it, if not, the location is without the (BF).
Oct. 19, 2006, 08:04 AM
For those who don't have a Mac, here is a picture:

.jpg  locations.jpg (Size: 50.9 KB / Downloads: 451)

OSX has system-wide network profiles aka Locations. The Mac version of BFilter doesn't have a GUI at all, but the installer creates those (BF) locations and configures them to use BFilter.

BTW, selecting a non-(BF) location is not the same thing as passive mode. In passive mode, traffic still goes through BFilter, while when using a non-(BF) location, it doesn't.

Too bad other operating systems don't have system-wide network profiles.
Oct. 19, 2006, 10:06 AM
jart;

Then the solution should be obvious..... If you don't want to have the word on the menu execute its meaning (select Passive to make it go into passive mode), then you could simply put a "non-executing" line of text above the current menu item. It need only say the single word "Toggle". Or you could combine that with the two action descriptors on the same line, that would work pretty well. Although inserting the word "between" in the sentence would make it grammatically correct (for English speakers, anyway), but that probably wouldn't fit. Wink

And there's no reason not to include a note to this effect in the documentation, preferably in bold. While developing for cross-platform compatibility is cool, the fact remains that most of the computer-using world is used to, and broken in to the idea of using, the word "Bypass" in order to take something out of signal path. This happens all over the place, but the closest example is Proxomitron itself. When we go into Bypass, it is still in the circuit, it merely stops filtering, which is how I perceive your intent with "Passive". But Bypass is the standard, and there's no reason to not use it.

Except that you want your menu item to report it's current status. (IOW, Passive would translate to "Bypassed".) Oooops, that's a Romper Room No-No. Menu items are for executing actions, reporting status is a secondary consideration. (I mean, adding a tick or check mark to let the user know which item is currently selected and active.) If you'd think about it for a second, you'd realize that you don't have to scrimp and save on layout room on the meny, no matter what OS you're desiging for. Simply offer both options, supply a tick mark next to the currently chosen option, and let the user make his/her choice as he sees fit.

It really is that simple. Whistling Smile!

The call for losing focus is usually named onSelectionMove() or something similar, but that's meant more for executing a routine immediately upon losing the focus. From your description above, it should suffice to merely call isSelected() with the appropriate GUI element or control ID.

HTH

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Oct. 19, 2006, 12:04 PM
Currently we have this:
Code:
+-------------+     +--------------+
| v Active    | <-> |   Passive    |
+-------------+     +--------------+

If I got it right, your proposals are:
Code:
+--------------+     +--------------+
|   Toggle     | <-> |   Toggle     |
| v Active     |     |   Active     |

+-----------------+     +-----------------+
| v Toggle Active | <-> |   Toggle Active |
+-----------------+     +-----------------+

| v Active     | <-> |   Active     |
|   Passive    |     | v Passive    |
Maybe we could stick "Bypass" somewhere, although I am not sure where exactly.

The problem is, I don't like any of these 3 options.
The first one is a little confusing, especially considering that "Toggle" will look exactly the same as "Active" and be selectable. The only alternative is to make one of them greyed out.
In the second one, it's not obvious what a tick stands for. Well, if you think about it, it becomes clear, but we should not force users to think Smile!
The third option requires you to read the labels, at least initially, until you get used to "Active" being at the very top of the menu. Getting used to it may take a long time, because BFilter breaks sites very rarely, so you won't be switching back and forth often.

Quote:The call for losing focus is usually named onSelectionMove() or something similar, but that's meant more for executing a routine immediately upon losing the focus. From your description above, it should suffice to merely call isSelected() with the appropriate GUI element or control ID.
Unfortunately, onSelectionMove() can't be used for detecting focus-out events. It doesn't notify you when you move the mouse away from the menu.
As for isSelected(), it's not implemented for menu items.
Oct. 19, 2006, 01:26 PM
I think the way it is in Proxomitron, is the most straightforward - both design and wording. I never recall myself 1% confused by it.

Passive Active

.png  Capture-10-19-00002.png (Size: 3.42 KB / Downloads: 486)
.png  Capture-10-19-00001.png (Size: 3.79 KB / Downloads: 453)

Note that the tray icon also changes indicating active/passive status. Since bfilter's icon already changes when bfilter can't connect, it would be nice to change it reflecting active/passive status as well.
Oct. 19, 2006, 01:51 PM
This one looks OK to me. Although "Bypass" term is technically wrong (because traffic still goes through the program), if all of you agree that it's more intuitive than "Active/Passive", then I'll switch to "Bypass".