Cannot delete file
Mar. 16, 2006, 04:14 PM

Ralph Wrote:this time selecting yes ; thought to myself : SUCCESS , VICTORY at hand ! . Rebooted , checked C: partition
*Before* you rebooted, did you check to see if the file was gone?
If "del c*0 /p" worked, something may be recreating the file at boot.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 16, 2006, 04:34 PM

here are a two freebie apps that may do the trick:

http://www.programurl.com/delete-doctor.htm
http://www.programurl.com/dellater.htm

edit: oops, start w/ delllater, if memory serves, delete-doctor was already mentioned in this thread...
Mar. 16, 2006, 05:28 PM

JJoe wrote :
Quote:Before* you rebooted, did you check to see if the file was gone
DOH ? I tried it again ; it is present on the dos screen as before , but when I retype the del C*0 /p , I get " file not found " . No y/n choice . I rechecked the Purgee application and cannot find the file in any of the folders . The Purgee application shows only folders not the entire contents of the C: partition . It may be hidden in one of the folders but I sure as heck can't find it . I'll check out ProxRocks suggestion . The C?^_f_w0 is laughing at me !
Mar. 16, 2006, 09:25 PM

BTW , Like my new avitar ? My Ruby
Mar. 16, 2006, 09:34 PM

sorry, my Prox config blocks all avitars - I just don't see "the point" in them...
same goes for those "signatures" as well, lol...
Mar. 16, 2006, 09:38 PM

Ralph Wrote:I tried it again ; it is present on the dos screen as before , but when I retype the del C*0 /p , I get " file not found " . No y/n choice .
Hmmm.
Do you have a file
C:\WINDOWS\WINFILE.EXE
?
It is the old File Manager. Being a little closer to DOS, it might allow you to delete the file via a GUI.
You may need to enable "Show Hidden/System Files" under View>By File Type.
Otherwise, you could try:
del c* /p
Be ready to press "N" a few times.
or
del * /p
Be ready to press "N" a few more times.
You may need to boot into DOS mode.
Ralph Wrote:I rechecked the Purgee application and cannot find the file in any of the folders .
The Purgeie app doesn't show files in the root directory which leaves you out.
Most of the apps suggested need a 'good' name. I think the "file not found" error shows that this does not exist.
Mar. 17, 2006, 12:38 AM

JJoe wrote :
Quote:Do you have a file
C:\WINDOWS\WINFILE.EXE
Wow ! I had no idea that I had some thing like that . Seems better than the Purgee propram .
Quote:You may need to enable "Show Hidden/System Files"
I had " show all files " already ticked . When I tick " do not show hidden or system files " C?^_f_w0 " is gone !!
Quote:You may need to boot into DOS mode.
I was doing that in DOS mode . Boy , has this been a learning experience !! Now for some relaxation at E's House ! Thanks again , everyone
Mar. 17, 2006, 02:52 PM

Ralph Wrote:When I tick " do not show hidden or system files " C?^_f_w0 " is gone !!
But I think it is still on the drive. All you've done is tell the interface not to show it.
Have you defragmented the drive recently?
Mar. 17, 2006, 05:08 PM

JJoe wrote :
Quote:But I think it is still on the drive
Oh , I know because it pops up whenever I choose " show all files " ; but it bugs me less Smile! . I have defragmented sevearal times , ran scan disk thorough mode , even erased unused space with Heide 's Eraser . Still can't get rid of it . But at least now it's hidden Crazy
Mar. 17, 2006, 10:09 PM

Ralph Wrote:ran scan disk thorough mode
On the "Advanced" window of scandisk are "Invalid File names" and "Report MS-DOS mode name length errors" checked?
If not, run scandisk with them checked but don't let scandisk fix the errors yet.
Mar. 17, 2006, 11:53 PM

Both items have always been checked . I have always autimatically fixed errors . However , I just ran it , did not fix errors and logged the results . There were 6 macromedia flash errors and 2 Java update errors .
Mar. 18, 2006, 09:29 PM

Ralph;

Throw out the hard drive, buy a new one and start over! I just wanna see more pictures of Ruby! Cheers

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Mar. 18, 2006, 11:24 PM

I thought you would like her . My 10 year old , Himalayan ; rules the house . The hard drive is fine . It's just me that's got quirks .
Mar. 19, 2006, 01:31 AM

Ralph Wrote:JJoe wrote :
Quote:Before* you rebooted, did you check to see if the file was gone
DOH ? I tried it again ; it is present on the dos screen as before , but when I retype the del C*0 /p , I get " file not found " .
The thought that this file may have returned with a new name or as a hidden or system file after maybe being deleted in dos makes me wonder about viruses and such...

Anyway, I created a zero-byte file C?^_f_w0 on my machine and deleted it with Windows Explorer , no problem...
However, the "_"s are not necessarily "_"s and characters after "space" were not displayed so I can't know if I used the same name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Alt_keycodes
For the key codes, you could also use Windows' Character Map in Accessories->System Tools. Try the "Terminal" font.

Hmm "File not found" maybe we need to strip the attributes:
cd\
Attrib -s -h -r -a *^*
Then
del *^* /p
If dos reports "not found", try a different expression for the name but don't change the attributes of the original "system" files.

FileManager (winfile.exe) might let you do all this with a GUI.
Properties are in the File menu after you select the file.

If the above doesn't work and you want to keep trying you may need a boot disk and/or disk editor. Of course, when messing with things one should always consider the possibility of thoroughly messing things up versus just living with it. Wink

Norton's diskedit.exe (not freeware but everywhere) is found on SystemWorks/NortonUtilities disks and the web (careful).
http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3/too...html#PTSDE
http://www.diskman.co.uk/about.aspx (Free with registration for noncommercial use)

Have fun?
HTH
Mar. 19, 2006, 02:35 AM

Microphone Rocker Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers TADA !! Would you believe it ; it's GONE ! I followed your directions exactly
Quote:File not found" maybe we need to strip the attributes:
cd\
Attrib -s -h -r -a *^*
Then
del *^* /p
The file came up , chose y , rebooted and it was gone . I am truly grateful for your help and perserverance . Many , many Thanks !