NT service
Nov. 28, 2005, 12:26 PM
NT service
Hi,

it was luck that I found BFilter and I tested it and was very surprised! It's a great tool, really!
It would be a nice feature when you would be able to install BFilter as a native service on NT based machines. There are only very few programs available that are able to run as a servcie (I only know one, 'Adextinguisher') OK you can use a service wrapper like srvany.exe but that's not that nice I guess ;-)
Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 28, 2005, 06:32 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what advantages would this feature bring?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 29, 2005, 05:19 PM
Service ..
Hi Jart,

the advantage would be that I would be able to run it on my server without a user logged in to that machine. I can schedule it to stop during backup and start it again by skript ...

;-)
Nov. 30, 2005, 05:05 AM

OK, now I see this feature would be useful. I am going to research this subject further. If I decide to implement it, it will probably be in 0.12
Dec. 02, 2005, 09:50 AM

Hi Jart,

that would be great! I have a small Windows 2000 resource server that works as a mail and print server and I would also like to use it as a proxy that can remove ads. That server works dammed good (I didn't touch it for almost half a year). It is a quite secured machine, so there is no user account setup on that server (instead of a renamed Administrator) it would not be that nice to create a user just for the automatic login to run the proxy application ;-)
That is why I am looking for an application that can run as a native service to work in the background without a user needs to be logged on.

So I just can encourage you to keep on developing that application, you already did a very great job! I will keep track of BFilter and wait for a service implementation … but in the meantime it will stay on my client without running as a service ;-)

Regards Thomas

PS: Is there a problem forwarding to another proxy that needs NT based authentication? I also tried BFilter on my company notebook, but when the authentication popup comes up to forward the username and password it did not work.
Dec. 02, 2005, 01:05 PM

Currently BFilter doesn't support NTLM authentication, or any other proxy authentication. That's because nobody requested it until now. I can add it to my TODO, but don't hold your breath for it. My TODO is already big, and it grows faster than I can implement new features.
Dec. 02, 2005, 01:52 PM

Hi,

proxy authentication would be ‘nice to have’ but I can imagine that people always asking for new features ;-) But as you can see we are very interested in what you are doing ;-)

regards Thomas