Setting up Tor with Freecap and Proxomitron
Nov. 07, 2005, 08:26 PM

Ralph, I was just wondering how your progress with the opera browser-tor-freecap combo was comin along? Hope you're having some luck Rocker
Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 07, 2005, 11:44 PM

Thanks for asking Chrome_waves , but I'm still not able to get it to run with Opera . I have no idea why I can run Tor with Privoxy and not with Freecap . I've given up after reading Oddysey's post . If the bad guys are after you , they'll get you ! I feel like I should kick myself for not checking out Opera sooner . The program used to have some advertising which I didn't like so I dumped it a couple of years ago . I've got ver. 8.5 up and running . It's incredible ! I was also playing with version 9.0 this weekend , but it's a little buggy for me . I read in another forum that JD 5000 who has written some great filters for Proxomitron finds that Opera 9.0 is so good that Proxo is no longer necessary . Regards , Ralph
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 08, 2005, 03:17 AM

Sorry to hear that you can't get it working correctly ralph, I wonder whats up with that. Course, you could always forgo tor altogether, and just use charon or any proxy finder to find your proxies, verify them with aatools, and then manually paste the addresses into proxomitron- course proxies dont last too long so youd be doing this every day or so. One good thing, though, is that I converted you over to the opera browser Rocker Once you feel comfortable using the program and have looked through all the options etc (which may take a good month or so) you may want to customize it with skins etc, and by dragging your toolbars of preference up to the browser window-you can even define your own customized search engines in lieu of those predefined in opera. For learnign about customizing opera, I encourage you to visit:http://my.opera.com/community/customize/

also, for more advanced customizations:http://nontroppo.org/wiki/Opera

Lastly, you may also wanna check out the proxy blind site, at:http://www.proxyblind.org/

Good Luck Rocker
Nov. 25, 2005, 12:27 AM

Finally after many hours/days I have resorted to using Sockscaps over Freecap to get poxomitron to talk to Tor.

Freecap seems to have (for me at least) a fairly major bug in that whenever I select the Socks4 option in the settings panel, next time I load to program up it automatically selects Socks5 option.
Now this may or may not be the reason why cannot get Freecap and Proxomitron to work, but it doesn't bode well.

After logging the Freecap output this is the error message I get from it when I run rpoxomitron via Freecap...
Quote:[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [CONN] WSAStartup (2):
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [CONN] wVersion : 2
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [CONN] wHighVersion : 514
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [CONN] szDescription : WinSock 2.0
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [CONN] szSystemStatus : Running
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [CONN] iMaxSockets : 0
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [CONN] iMaxUdpDg : 0
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [WARN] <exception class="Exception">
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [WARN] <message>No proxy servers in use. Please select at least one. Program will be terminated.</message>
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [WARN] <location address="00000000" module="" procedure="" unit="" line="0"/>
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [WARN] <stack>
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [WARN] <location address="00E8FA8C" frame_address="00E8FA88" type="efkUnknown" handler="no" module="" procedure="" unit="" line="0"/>
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [WARN] <location address="00E8FA98" frame_address="00E8FA94" type="efkUnknown" handler="no" module="" procedure="" unit="" line="0"/>
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [WARN] <location address="00E8FAE0" frame_address="00E8FADC" type="efkUnknown" handler="no" module="" procedure="" unit="" line="0"/>
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [WARN] <location address="00E8FB14" frame_address="00E8FB10" type="efkUnknown" handler="no" module="" procedure="" unit="" line="0"/>
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [WARN] </stack>
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [WARN] </exception>
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [SOCKS] [152] Removing socket from our table
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [WARN] TProxyArray.Add exception! No proxy servers in use. Please select at least one. Program will be terminated.
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [INJ] FreeLibrary(0x5AD70000) = True
[proxomitron.exe] 22:51:32 [INJ] Module cleanup()

I am now stumped as to how to get past the "no proxy servers in use" error.

Tor is definately running BEFORE I run freecap, in Freecap the chain is set to 127.0.0.1:9050 and socks4

Shutting down freecap and loading up sockscap and running proxomitron that way shows an instant connection with Tor and all is good (TorCP bandwidth monitor shows throughput, various IP checkers all report different IPs, and none report my actual IP)

There is a new release of Freecap out soonish (appearently) so I may try it again, but for now it seems a little too flaky.

(Other info - running XP Home SP2, Athlon 2800)
Nov. 25, 2005, 04:49 PM

Magician wrote :
Quote: whenever I select the Socks4 option in the settings panel, next time I load to program up it automatically selects Socks5 option.
Exactly what was happening to me . I've been playing with Aphoxy http://iamaphex.net/downloads/ But still no joy !
Nov. 25, 2005, 09:37 PM

Ralph Wrote:I read in another forum that JD 5000 who has written some great filters for Proxomitron finds that Opera 9.0 is so good that Proxo is no longer necessary .
Yeah. Same way as Jor previously. Not sure what to think about that.
Nov. 26, 2005, 10:43 PM

Hi Sidke ; I've been using Opera for a few weeks with AdBlocker and find that it is only fair . AdBlocker doesn't get rid of a lot of ads and other junk ; but with your filter set and Proxomitron , surfing is fast , clean and very nice . I have a bunch of sites that I visit where Proxo has tuned the pages just perfectly . I couldn't do that without your configuration . Keep up the great work ! Regards , Ralph
Nov. 27, 2005, 02:01 PM

Quote:Exactly what was happening to me .

I'm glad it's not just me having this issue. Still, using Sockscap seems most satisfactory, even if the interface is uglier.
Nov. 27, 2005, 10:26 PM

TOR runs as a Socks4a proxy. Setting it to 4 or 5 wont work 100%. It make leak some information. I have not used freecap so i don't know all the options, but unless it's set to 4a, it may leak some information and that may be bad for people trying to stay as anonymous as possible...

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Nov. 28, 2005, 12:44 AM

Its not so much case of staying as anonymous as possible (well not in my case at least). Its more a "because I can" thing with a bonus of a small level of extra security.

Unfortunately setting it to Sock4 is my only option at the moment, since freecap (which allows Socks4a) doesn't work (see my previous msg on that) nor does it remember its settings... Which suks.
Dec. 01, 2005, 09:59 AM

sidki3003;
Quote:
Ralph Wrote:I read in another forum that JD 5000 who has written some great filters for Proxomitron finds that Opera 9.0 is so good that Proxo is no longer necessary .
Yeah. Same way as Jor previously. Not sure what to think about that.
I checked out your link labeled "Yeah". From reading the first post in that thread, I get the idea that JD is actively working on the Opera browser development team. If that's true, then it would explain his statement.

But I don't just go for controlling ads, I also go for changing the appearance of a page. Is Opera gonna do that? Shock If not (or if it is, but not to my satisfaction), then I think you can make book on what I'm gonna keep using. Drool

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Jan. 06, 2006, 11:50 PM

Tor updated to 0.1.0.16.

http://tor.eff.org/download.html.en

2006-01-02: Tor 0.1.0.16 fixes nine rare crash bugs, and includes backports from the 0.1.1.x tree to be more aggressive about retrying failed streams.
Visit this user's website
Jan. 10, 2006, 02:47 AM

there has been a new release of Freecap for those you wish to try it.

I may play with it tonight to see if it fixes anything for me. Here's hoping.
Jan. 11, 2006, 01:31 AM

A Forlorn Hope it would seem

Whilst it is only a minor increment (3.17 -> 3.18) I was hoping for a fix but alas no.

If I now open up the Option window and select "Socks4" as my connection type, change to another tab in the options window and then change back to the Proxy Setting Tab, guess what... my selection of "Socks4" is ignored and "Socks5" is selected for me instead! grr

Back to sockscap for now (which isnt a complaint really, it works and is totally unobstrusive).
Apr. 04, 2006, 03:59 PM

Hi guys, try looking here: http://searchlores.org/anonion.htm and look at http://searchlores.org/ anyway it's a very nice site teaches you much muchmuch...