Proxo Runs on SuSE 10.0
Oct. 08, 2005, 06:35 PM
Proxo Runs on SuSE 10.0
Installed SuSE 10.0 Linux 2 days ago. This is the 5 CD / DVD just released version. It's free from opensuse.org! You can download it yourself. I'm dual booting with Win98SE. But I'm done with M$ once I finish migrating to Linux.

Wine is already integrated into SuSE 10.0. Sweet!

Visited http://www.proxomitron.info/files/index.html to install ProxN45j.exe.

Upon left clicking on that link SuSE asked how to open the file. I typed 'wine'. After a few seconds Proxo was successfully installed into Linux. Then I merely copied across from Windows the current config, folders, .dlls, certs, etc. to the appropriate Wine folder in my /home directory (storing the original files in a new folder).

This was even easier than my Mepis Linux install a few months ago.

Set Konqueror & Firefox (and possibly Opera, LOL) to use Proxo. Placed Proxo shortcut into 'autostart' folder.

Voila, it was sooooo easy!!! Proxo autoloads at boot and runs great (a tad slower than in Windows).

Just thought that I'd pass this along.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 09, 2005, 02:04 PM

Wow, that's cool. I think Kye-U was only able to get 4.4 to run in Knoppix.

And I think someone should move this post to general discussion, right now it's in proximodo.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Oct. 09, 2005, 03:42 PM

Whoops. Sorry about posting this in wrong 'General Discussion'.

Please relocate as appropriate.
Oct. 09, 2005, 05:51 PM

Roger that Wink

Thanks for your findings 43unite. With Vista requiring more powerful equipment, I'm thinking of moving to Linux when they release all those wonderful flavours of Vista.

EDIT: Sorry about not leaving a 'shadow topic' in the other forum. There are two general discussions in the move list, and I accidentaly moved it to its own forum Dead
Visit this user's website
Oct. 17, 2005, 05:49 PM
Update
Just a quick follow up...

Since installation, Proxo (Sidki's config with Kye-U's pack) has run essentially fast and perfectly on SuSE 10.0 with the native installed Wine version. An updated Wine has been released but I see no reason to upgrade now.

Last night I incorporated Sidki's new configuration updates with no problems.

Proxo runs great with Firefox and very rarely does a filter not load properly. That's the only 'glitch' that I've encountered and it's minor. A quick re-load of Proxo (not sure if it's even needed) solves it. Filter loading problems happen more frequently with Konqueror. This does not surprise me as filters are not written specifically for Konqueror.

I'm happily surprised - thanks to Wine and Linux

I'm learning Linux. IMO it has a steeper learning curve than Windows. Many things are not GUI accessable, etc. But it's learnable (even for a Linux newbie like me!), vastly capable, very stable and $FREE. I'm never returning to GatesLand. I value my freedom and privacy, and will not surrender control over my box to some control freak corporation.
Oct. 18, 2005, 12:40 PM

I hear you, 43unite. I'm running a Linux-only box now, and very pleased, "gnube" though I am. Cool

I did have some problems with Proxomitron randomly failing to open lists, resulting in annoying application error popups, using both JD Advanced and Scott's default. I finally re-did the latter, incorporating a few of JD's and of course Kye-U's security pack, but without any lists. I daisy-chained Proxo with Privoxy for all but a few sites, so Privoxy + hosts keeps me ad-free. Proxomitron lets me customise the web.

Think hmm, I was using the 2.6.8-2-386 kernel at first, and installed the 2.6.8-2-686 kernel last week ... I'll have to see if that makes a difference.

Other than that, Proxo 4.5j is running very smoothly, including ssl. Wine: 0.0.20050725-winehq-1 on Debian stable.

(By the way, I've downloaded the SuSE oss 10.0 cd-set, and I'm tempted to install it soon -- I have some extra space on hdb set aside for trying a new distro or two. Wink )

Surfing with Proxo on wine in Debian GNU/Linux ... can ya dig it?
Sep. 19, 2007, 11:26 AM
RE: Proxo Runs on SuSE 10.0
Hi, my IP Address is 212.85.1.38.

Quote:inetnum: 212.85.0.0 - 212.85.3.255
netname: SYNETRIX
descr: Synetrix Holdings Limited
admin-c: SYN3-RIPE
tech-c: SYN3-RIPE
mnt-by: synetrix
mnt-lower: synetrix
mnt-routes: synetrix
source: RIPE # Filtered

role: Synetrix Ltd
address: Synetrix Ltd
address: Innovation Centre
address: Keele Park
address: Newcastle Under Lyme
address: Staffordshire
address: ST5 5NB
phone: +4487030004010
fax-no: +441252405605
abuse-mailbox: [email protected]
admin-c: NT722-RIPE
admin-c: FA2394-RIPE
tech-c: JD8087-RIPE
nic-hdl: SYN3-RIPE
mnt-by: synetrix
source: RIPE # Filtered
Quote this message in a reply
Sep. 19, 2007, 01:07 PM
RE: Proxo Runs on SuSE 10.0
the "Unregistered" says it all, i s'pose... Sad

hey Kye-U, let's publicly post eman's IP address, shall we?
at least no "spam links" were contained within the useless drivel...