Network Printers
Aug. 29, 2005, 03:07 AM
Network Printers
I'm helping my dad setup his new computers at his office, but I'm having some trouble with setting up the printers on the network. Right now all 3 of the computers are running windows 98. He bought two new ones running windows xp. He is replacing two of them with the two new ones and then switching out the remaining indows 98 computer for his old one on windows 98 because it has a bigger hard drive and a faster processor. There are two HP printers that need to be shared on the network. Neither of them are close enough to a computer to be plugged in, even temporarily 9without a lot of trouble). The one printer is hooked up to an hp printer server, a small hardware device that has a spot to plug the printers plug into and then an ethernet plug to go into the nerest ethernet jack. I set that one up with a utility that came with the setup disk. The other printer has only an ethernet plug into the wall and I can't seem to setup that one. It is already setup on one of the windows 98 computers, but it's one of them that he's getting rid of. I need to find the IP address of the printer, but I don't know how. When I searched on google, I found a way that might work to print out a configuration file with the IP on it, but if any of you know another way to get the IP, I would appreciate it. BTW, it's an HP LaserJet 5 printer.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Aug. 29, 2005, 03:29 AM

Not sure, but try running "netstat -a -n" (without "s) in the command prompt (or Run [Start --> Run]). This will display all current connections. If you can, try printing a page and enter that quickly and you should be able to get a list of possible IPs.

EDIT: Or create a batch script with the following code so it makes it easier to run as you're printing:

Code:
netstat -a -n
pause
Visit this user's website
Aug. 29, 2005, 03:59 AM

I already tried that Kye-U. it didn't show anything. Maybe I should try it while printing a page...

Aug. 29, 2005, 03:46 PM

I had my dad do it over the phone while he was printing a page and it didn't work. I also had him type netstat without any options and that came up with nothing.

I tried printing out a printer configuration using this guide, but the IP address showed up as 0.0.0.0.

Aug. 30, 2005, 02:41 AM

Shea;

It seems to me that your dad hasn't yet gotten rid of the "old" computer that worked with that printer - am I correct? Then fire it up, and look under "Printers/{your printer's name here}/Properties, then select Printer/Properties/Details. There are two possible places where you'll find the address that the 'puter used to communicate with the printer:

1) In the drop-down box labeled "Print to the following port";

or

2) Under the button labeled "Capture Printer Port".

If both of those are empty, then a special driver from HP was used to "do the talking". Shock You'll have to figure out for yourself how to dope out any useful info from that driver. Perhaps in the Device Manager console?

Oddysey

p.s. It's been my experience that HP printers never divulge a network address from the "hold Menu while powering up" sequence unless they have a network interface built into them (or if one was added in as a peripheral at some later date). That might explain your '0.0.0.0' results.

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Aug. 30, 2005, 03:11 AM

Oddysey, I've looked in the printers properties many times and tried all the buttons. I have never seen anything that looks even close to an IP address of the printer. I think we are going to try to call the HP support number and see what they say to do. In the mean time, I'll take another look at the printer properties and maybe the device manager.

I read while searching the net that most hp printers have a webserver in them that you can communicate with by typing in the IP address of it into your browser. The example it used was a LaserJet 4 and we have a 5 so i think it does have some sort of webserver in it, but the problem is we don't have the IP. I also read that if you browse through the printer configuration on the control panel on the printer, you can set a static IP for it, I might have to try that too.

Sep. 01, 2005, 06:00 PM

My dad had his MIS guy come in today and he figured out the IP address and got the printer setup. I'll let you know if I have any other problems with it.

Sep. 01, 2005, 09:08 PM

Shea;
Shea Wrote:My dad had his MIS guy come in today and he figured out the IP address and got the printer setup. I'll let you know if I have any other problems with it.
So, inquiring minds want to know - how did he find the address? Hail

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Sep. 02, 2005, 01:09 AM

You can navigate through the menu and print out a printer configuration page that tells all about the printer including the ip address. When I tried printing it, the IP showed up as 0.0.0.0, but apparently he printed a different one and it showed up. I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what he did, but that's what I was told. I wrote down the IP's of both of them so we don't have to go through this crap again.