Anti-Virus
Mar. 28, 2004, 08:23 PM

I would like to know what Anti-Virus programs is on the recommended list here -- stuff you like and please tell why.

I happen to like eTrust EX Antivirus [from Computer associates] because the application is not a resource hog -- in fact its footprint is amazing small and it provides excellent protection. It is missing pop3 scanning and webmail scanning -which is why it has such a small footprint; I'm not sure if that [pop3 and webmail scanning] is all that important. my-Etrust
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 28, 2004, 08:30 PM

I like McAfee VirusScan 7.03 Pro, not the newest one, 8.

It is faster and more effective that Norton, since it ACTUALLY removes viruses.
Visit this user's website
Mar. 28, 2004, 09:28 PM

I had Norton which did a good job, but I never really had any viruses. Norton is a resource hog though. I had it on a Win98 box and it added like an extra 2 minutes to the start-up. Right now I'm just using AVG Free by Grisoft. It's free and does pretty much everything that the others do. If I ever get viruses, they are the new ones and I just go on the Symantec website and download the removal tool which does a more effective job than Norton.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Mar. 28, 2004, 11:17 PM

Shea Wrote:I had Norton which did a good job, but I never really had any viruses. Norton is a resource hog though. I had it on a Win98 box and it added like an extra 2 minutes to the start-up. Right now I'm just using AVG Free by Grisoft. It's free and does pretty much everything that the others do. If I ever get viruses, they are the new ones and I just go on the Symantec website and download the removal tool which does a more effective job than Norton.
I don't like the interface of AVG, but it does a really good job.
Visit this user's website
Mar. 29, 2004, 07:02 AM

I use AVG free as well. I also run F-Prot on demand, plus I use it to check out downloads done by my download accelerator. AVG would not interface with the accelerator.
Mar. 29, 2004, 09:57 PM

I like AntiVir It works quite well and is free.
Mar. 29, 2004, 11:11 PM

I prefer NIS (Norton Firewall plus Norton AntiVirus)...

Have never had any viruses - but I'm 123% sure that if I had, Norton would 'remove them' (not sure what Kye-U is inferring)...

We use AVG as the 'default' freebie on machines at the office with limited internet access...

Norton does need more resources, but the McAfee Office Suite that I was once on used equally as much...

On my laptop (which isn't online that much), I use AntiVir (and Kerio)...

If you want a freebit, both AVG and AntiVir are both quite effective...
Which is "better"? Not really sure on that...

If, like me, you are a strong proponent of 'you get what you pay for', then, also like me, you won't rely on "freebies" to safeguard yourself from the swarm of 'net mischief...

Norton and McAfee BOTH are extremely great products...
I, and many others, recommend Norton...
An equally massive population recommends McAfee...

The way I see it is that those two fight over "allegiances"...
After being 'bit' by McAfee (4+ years ago), my 'allegiance' has been with Norton...

But the crux of the matter is that they both possess the power of kryptonite in thwarting off evil villains...
Mar. 30, 2004, 12:30 AM

For myself, AntiVir is just there in case my firewall ever misses something. (never happened yet). I have not had any sort of baddie on my pc in 4 years. I don't feel AV apps offer the best protection and prefer to use my firewall that has the ability to prevent unknown as well as known baddies from executing, injecting code etc. Probably why I like Proxo so much; combining it with my firewall gives me very good protection.