blocking ONLY cookies and images...
Feb. 02, 2005, 06:45 PM

hello,

normally i use the url killfile to prevent both cookies and images from loading, but lately i've had problems accessing sites (like ebay) that use keywords in their urls that i've specifically blocked.

ex: i have "*.fastclick.net/" in my killfile, and half.com sometimes redirects me to other ebay pages through something like
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/somethingsomething/garbage.fastclick.net/referrer?=666
proxomitron dutifully does what it's supposed to and terminates the connection right there, but that prevents me from being able to go through with the redirection.

i don't want to use the bypass list as a solution, as it would defeat the purpose of having proxomitron installed in the first place, and there are many sites with which i have this problem.

the reason i have *.fastclick.net/ in my killfile is because i don't want to download their visual ads, nor do i want their tracking cookies. i don't necessarily mind if i am forced to go through their site for something or another. so how can i block both elements while still allowing site access to sites like fastclick.net?

the other thing is, the current cookie config is useless to me. i don't want to block every site on the internet from leaving cookies except for those i've manually typed the names of...more and more sites are requiring cookies just do be able to do anything, and to have to modify the cookiefile every time i visit a unique web page would be a serious exercise in masochism.

to sum everything i've just said in a sentence, what i'm looking for is some way to modify the "noimages" blockfile so that it would be a "nocookies" blockfile Smile!
or, even better if possible, a way to string up a single blockfile so that it would block ALL images and cookies (only!) from sites on the list.

thanks
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Feb. 03, 2005, 05:47 AM

Quote: i have "*.fastclick.net/" in my killfile, and half.com sometimes redirects me to other ebay pages through something like
CODE
http://www.ebay.com/somethingsomething/gar...t/referrer?=666
What you can do to prevent that particular problem is to change the format of the wildcard in the killfile. Instead of using "*.whatever", use "[^.]+.whatever" or "[^/]++.whatever.net/".
As far as cookies go, you could use your browser settings to block third party cookies. You could also use the cookie filters in Prox to allow cookies from sites that you need to allow to set them, but block all others.
Feb. 03, 2005, 06:59 AM

Siamesecat Wrote:
Quote: i have "*.fastclick.net/" in my killfile, and half.com sometimes redirects me to other ebay pages through something like
CODE
http://www.ebay.com/somethingsomething/gar...t/referrer?=666
What you can do to prevent that particular problem is to change the format of the wildcard in the killfile. Instead of using "*.whatever", use "[^.]+.whatever" or "[^/]++.whatever.net/".
As far as cookies go, you could use your browser settings to block third party cookies. You could also use the cookie filters in Prox to allow cookies from sites that you need to allow to set them, but block all others.
ok so what is the difference between [^.]+.whatever and [^/]++.whatever.net/ ? i tried, i really did, to make some sense of the guide that comes with proxomitron but failed. when i found i could use the asterisk wildcard i leaped with joy.

although, your second suggestion is exactly the opposite of what i need. i already set my browser to not accept third party cookies and to prompt me every time but i still get prompts for third party cookies. is there no way to -reverse- the way the cookie filter works, BLOCKING only those sites i specify rather than ACCEPTING?

thanks
Feb. 04, 2005, 06:34 AM

The asterisk wildcard includes everything that comes before "fastclick" or whatever hostname you want to block, so if something is passing that word in a URL, not as its hostname, but as one that it references, that will be included in the match. The "[^.]+." wildcard includes only everything up to the first dot in the hostname, and nothing beyond it. The "[^/]++." wildcard includes everything up to the first slash, but assumes that there is a prefix plus a dot before the main part of the hostname. One could also use "[^/++whatever.com/" or "([^/]++.|)whatever.com/" if the hostname might not have a prefix.
I would recommend changing to that type of wildcard in any other block or allow lists, or URL matches (in the URL line) that you use with filters. It is much more restrictive.

What browser are you using? If it is Internet Explorer, are you using the Advanced cookie setting or the default slider? If your browser is IE, I would strongly suggest setting up the Advanced cookie filtering, blocking third party cookies and allowing or prompting for first party, and unchecking the box that says "Always allow session cookies".
There is a way to use a cookie list as a block list rather than as an allow list. You just remove the "^" (means "not") before the name of the list, in the filter.