Portable Firefox 1.0
Jan. 27, 2005, 05:59 AM

http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

Quote:Portable Firefox is a fully functional package of Firefox optimized for use on a USB key drive. It has some specially-selected optimizations to make it perform faster and extend the life of your USB key as well as a specialized launcher that will allow most of your favorite extensions to work as you switch computers. It will also work from a CDRW drive (in packet mode), ZIP drives, external hard drives, some MP3 players, flash RAM cards and more (Note: It will not run from read-only media like a CD-R). This grew out of a mozillaZine forum topic back in June of 2004. Any comments or questions can be directed there.

Today, my dad (God bless him...) bought me two 256mb Lexar JumpDrive USB Keys!

I've spent around 2 hours configuring PF on one of them, and in the end, with 5 extensions, a few bookmarks and some tweaks here and there, the final file size is 11.3 mb!

The Autorun.inf file creates a sort of nuke icon for the USB drive (I find it cool...).

I've also written a Batch script which runs Proxomitron and PF (Yes, I've saved Proxomitron on my USB Key as well) and allows me to surf in peace! Big Teeth

Aside from that, I have a "school" folder as well as a "proggies" folder Eyes Closed Smile

Anyways, I'm straying away from PF. PF is just like Firefox, except smaller (UPX compressed) and does not cache or create permanent cookies! Perfect for my needs!

I hope this Program and Topic interests you all to go out and buy a USB drive/key and try this out!

As it is almost 1:00 am here, and I have school tomorrow, I do not have enough time to place more programs on the USB key. (Anti-spyware, MSN-alternative, etc...)

Enjoy!

Cheers
Visit this user's website
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 28, 2005, 02:46 AM

I just *have to*, so 'forgive in advance', please...

FIREFOX SUCKS!!!

[Sleipnir WITH the Gekko engine, now THAT is "the key"...]
{plus, the creator of Sleipnir is in-process of creating his next browser - we all patiently await...}
Jan. 28, 2005, 02:57 AM

ProxRocks Wrote:I just *have to*, so 'forgive in advance', please...

FIREFOX SUCKS!!!
*Forgives in advance*
Visit this user's website
May. 17, 2005, 04:59 PM

I don't see what's so big a deal making portable FF.

using the following script:
Code:
var WshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
var FSO = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
var FFdir = FSO.GetAbsolutePathName(".");
var FFpath = FFdir + '\\FireFox.exe';
var FFprofile = FFdir + '\\Profile';

if (FSO.FileExists(FFpath)) {
    if (!FSO.FolderExists(FFprofile)) var f = FSO.CreateFolder(FFprofile);
    WshShell.Run('\"' + FFpath + '\" -profile \"' + FFprofile + '\"');
} else {
    WScript.Echo("FireFox.exe is not in current directory:\n\n\t" + FFdir);