X-Forwarded-For
Dec. 04, 2004, 07:46 PM

Hi there,

I've been using Proxomitron for a couple of days now and haven't added any of my own scripts or anything.

Here's my dilemma:

I'm with NTL and go through their own proxy.

I opened up proxomitron and went to Headers > X-Forwarded-For and under the replacement text I put an IP (that belongs to a proxy server):

I then went here to test my environmental settings and saw this for the HTTP_X_Forwarded_For:

195.219.147.15, [my IP address]

I'm wondering if someone could explain to me how to configure proxomitron to not to show my IP in this header...OR

if that can't be helped...maybe to configure it, so that it changes the order of the IP addresses...e.g.:

221.142.244.144, [my IP address], 195.219.147.15

I figure that if my IP address isn't the last/first...then it will be less likely to be seen as the REAL one...but instead as a fake or a proxy perhaps...

I that makes sense?

SORRY if this has been mentioned already, but I looked through the forums a little and either didn't see it or didn't understand anything that might have explained my question.

Thanks for your time! Wink
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 04, 2004, 09:19 PM

Hi and welcome Smile!

You can't control what goes to the end of the X-Forwarded-For string, because your proxy is appending your IP after the request has left your machine.

Generally, IP spoofing won't fool a webmaster who is closely looking at the headers you sent, but should be good enough for automated lookups like here and here.

sidki
Dec. 04, 2004, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I was afraid that would be the case...ooh well!

Using anonymous proxy's can obviously hide my IP, because the X-Forwarded-For will just point to the proxy's local host - 127.0.0.1 or something.

I don't generally trust the proxy servers because I get paranoid that the people providing the service will just log what I do and exploit any personal info that passes through their server, like passwords etc.

Generally speaking though...so long as I dont use an anonymous proxy for checking my emails/forum accounts, there aint nothing to worry about...enough blabbering! Thanks for the response! Big Teeth
Dec. 05, 2004, 12:08 AM

stewjk;
well.... almost a quote Wrote:I wanna fake out bozos that invade my privacy.
No sooner said than done. Check out the JakxPack Spoofer Set. It'll do just exactly as you want, with the limitations noted by sidki, above. The link is at the bottom of the first post on that page (although it's not the first page in that thread). After you've gotten the file, you'd do well to read the entire thread, it can be quite informative.

Oh, and Welcome to The UnOfficial Proxomitron Forum!

Oddysey

p.s. Jak, I'm expecting my commission check any time now! :P [lol]

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Dec. 05, 2004, 08:22 AM

Hi "Gang",
Thankx "Oddysey", . . . er, . . .ah, . . .The check 'll be in the Mail, . . .just as soon as I can get the "boyz @ the bank" to unfreeze my account, . . .. Smile! Thankx "My Good Friend" Cheers

"Stewjk", . .there is one Type-O in the X-Forwarded-for list that You might want to fix , . .I got in a hurry and missed a number. I have two 160's in the list. Take a Look
Code:
$CON(169,178)$SET(1=**.***.***.***)

$CON(160,178)$SET(1=**.***.***.***)<----

$CON(171,178)$SET(1=**.**.***.***)

Just change the number from 160 to 170 and that should take care of it.
Best Wishes,
"JaK" [smoke]
Dec. 12, 2004, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the replies again.

Installed the Jakxpack, but my real IP still shows up after the random IP the pack throws in before it...well...that can't be helped I guess...but thanks for the pack, because now there are some extra things that Promo is doing for me.

I use a remote proxy half the time anywho, so things aint too bad I think Wink