Feature requests
Dec. 07, 2004, 06:16 AM

Oddysey,

Quote:Please consider NOT putting in anything that looks like the really, really ugly screen what says "The Proxomitron Can't Find Such-And-Such A Website"
What's the matter? Don't you like purple?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 07, 2004, 06:46 AM

Siamesecat;

500 comedians are out of work, and you're making a joke?! [lol]

But yeah, among other things, the combination of purple, black and ducksh1t green doesn't particularly appeal to me. It's these tired old eyes, you understand. <_<

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Dec. 07, 2004, 07:56 AM

Oddysey Wrote:Ah, got one. And, it's legitimate, too! B) (Surprised no one else has thought of this yet.)

Please consider <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:19pt;line-height:100%'>NOT</span></span> putting in anything that looks like the really, really ugly screen what says "The Proxomitron Can't Find Such-And-Such A Website" when it times out, suffers a DNS error, or whatever. Either that, or at least give us a way to modify it. Pretty please.

That was Scott's one big failing with Proxomitron. For some reason, he had an extreme case of "blind-itis" about this. I think I first saw someone request that he allow it to be modified, or turned off, way back on Arne's old forum, something like 2 1/2 years ago, maybe even farther back. I never did understand his thinking on that one. [wacko]

Oddysey
You can also change this with Proxomitron.
Not like you can edit the HTML code, but you can change the images and the CSS.
In the folder "\html" in proxo, you can change the following files to modify the looks.
---
Gradient.gif
ProxyLogo.jpg
Errors.css
---

Gryphen (on Castlecops.com under the JD5000 forum) has created an Matrix Kinda error look.

But it would be nice if it can be modifed, including some content change with info like time date dns etc... Smile! (Just naming some stuff).

GreetZ BlackDex <br>To boldy go where no one has gone before.
Visit this user's website
Dec. 08, 2004, 03:48 AM

BlackDex;

Well, yes, in a manner of speaking, but your noted method is:

a> Makeshift;
b> Not as easy as it should be;
c> Not as intuitive as it should be; and
d> Certainly not as complete a solution as it should be.

What was asked of Scott was if the screen could be bypassed entirely (toggled on or off), or if we could at least specify an alternate HTML page. Changing some elements of a page doesn't cut the mustard, IMO.

Let's see what kuruden comes up with, shall we? Wink

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Dec. 09, 2004, 07:13 AM

The ToDo list states that URL commands will not be used. I use the Debug view in Prox frequently. It is very useful for seeing just what changes to the code on a page are done by what filters. I would hope that there will be some way of viewing source code and the changes caused by specific filters.
Dec. 09, 2004, 09:38 AM

Siamesecat Wrote:The ToDo list states that URL commands will not be used. I use the Debug view in Prox frequently. It is very useful for seeing just what changes to the code on a page are done by what filters. I would hope that there will be some way of viewing source code and the changes caused by specific filters.
Yea is see it now also... Didn't noticed before.
I Realy like the 'cmd.bypass..' and 'cmd.dbug..' commands of Proxomitron.
Would be a loss if it isn't implemented.

Dec. 09, 2004, 07:54 PM

Okay, I'll make url commands something to do. Yet do not expect it soon, because it means at lot of internal changes [unsure]
Dec. 09, 2004, 10:01 PM

Well it doesn't have to be quickly include. See it as an future feature request Smile!.

I Know a lot off ppl who use that menu that is add with the JD5000 Filterset, and that uses those commands.

Just take ur time, and take it easy Smile!.
First things first. And most off all, think about ur self.

Dec. 12, 2004, 08:13 PM

It would be nice to have a way to search for a word in the name of a filter in the configuration window, in order to find a filter easily (as in Proxomitron). I set up 61 header filters and 102 web page filters, and trying to find something afterwards was not easy!

Incidentally, I got no response to my question about the colours of the headers in the log window. I really do think that a lighter colour would be better for the browser's request header.
Dec. 12, 2004, 11:59 PM

^ ditto ^
Dec. 25, 2004, 04:13 PM

wow this board has been acting strange (lost posts). is the host change all done?

anyway, came up with some more requests/ideas...

LOG WINDOW: add a search text box

FILTERS: one of the my biggest complaints with proxomitron, and now proximodo, has been trying to figure out WHAT filter is breaking an element of a particular web page. i realize that the log window is very beneficial in this regard, but for someone like me who is relatively HTML/JS ignorant, the process of trying to figure out what filter broke a particular element can be a long and painful one. for a newbie, or someone with even less HTML/JS knowledge, i'd guess that the log window would be about useless. what i usually end up doing is disabling filters until i find it and even that takes too long.

so...

my purpose here is to be able to determine, very quickly, exactly which filter is causing a problem in general or with a particular website/page without being a scripting/HTML/JS expert. the solution i'd like to propose is this:

since proximodo can inject HTML in a page, what about offering a "troubleshooting" or "developer" mode of operation that, when selected, injects the name of the filter at the exact point (or as close to it as possible) of the web pages element that it's filtering? newbie or seasoned pro, i think that could save everyone a lot of time.
Jan. 03, 2005, 10:07 AM

kind of on the same note as my post above...

started using Firefox and an extension for it called "AdBlock". it's written in JS. this is the most intuitive, fastest and fun to use little tools i've yet seen. maybe something like this could be incorparated into proxi?

it's available here.

for those that would like a description:

it's so simple it's crazy. it can be used to block many types of annoyances, like images, flash banners/animations, etc.. there's a couple ways to invoke it: you can just r-click on a page element, like an image, and select "adblock image" from the context menu. in the cases where it can block a whole frame, "adblock iframe" and "adblock image" is listed in the context menu. in the case of flash animations/banners, a small "adblock" tab is placed next to the element. as soon as you click one of the context menu items, the filter box pops up. this is very much like the filter boxes for proxo or proxi where you can edit the filter (accepts wildcards) or accept the default.

here's what i think is really cool: another way to invoke it is from the "tools" menu in Firefox where there is a submenu item, "list all blockable elements". when you invoke it this way, a small window opens with the strings of all the pages elements that can be blocked, BUT WAIT... when you highlight an element, the actual element on the page becomes surrounded with a flashing dotted line boarder. this makes it SO easy to pinpoint an element and helps with creating a filter.

once you block something, there's no need to reload the page or fool around with your cache. it's done instantly. blocking can be done with a minimum of 2 clicks and the user never knows it's there until you want to use it.
Jan. 03, 2005, 10:21 PM

I've been using it for 3 months too. Very nice plugin.
I don't think a proxy server could offer this kind of browser/plugin interaction.