Proximodo 0.2 is out!
Nov. 29, 2004, 01:39 AM

The configuration screen has dramatically changed. I hope it'll prove more useable than the previous one. Have a look at the CHANGES and screenshots on the web page. This version also includes bug fixes and a few new features. It is a bit more stable under IE, though I still have to find why some images don't load. Next big step could be https support and performance tuning.

http://proximodo.sourceforge.net/

Kuruden
Visit this user's website
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 29, 2004, 03:16 AM

ah! can't wait to try it!

will d/l tommorow and provide feedback.

thanks!
Nov. 29, 2004, 04:11 AM

Hi "Kuruden",
I installed the new version, . .Loved the new changes! Smile! This version workz much faster and better. I'm still learning My way around in "Proximodo", but I like what I see so far. Keep Up the good work,
Best Wishes,
"JaK"[smoke]

PS: I've tried to "Import" all My PRoxo configs, but I've not been successful yet. Do I need to copy anything for My PRoxo folder to the Proximodo folder before I try to Import the filters?
Nov. 29, 2004, 08:47 AM

In the Settings screen, there is an item "Filter Text". Does that mean that any text is filtered, including text/html, text/xml, and text/plain? If so, it seems to me that filtering text/plain would cause problems.
Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 29, 2004, 05:29 PM

The "Filter Text" checkbox is equivalent to Proxo's "Web Page Filters". I named it text because Proximodo (and Proxomitron) can filter not only html code but also any type of text content (provided you use $FILTER(true)). By default, text filters are used only for content of type text/html" , "application/x-javascript" and "text/asp".

Jak, you may have tried to put the .cfg file in the clipboard, instead of its content.
Here is the detailed procedure to import a whole Proxo config (at least until I add the feature):
- copy your custom \proxomitron\html files to \proximodo\html folder.
- same for \proximodo\Lists to \proximodo\lists
- copy-paste the proxies you set in Proxomitron to Proximodo settings
- copy-paste the "blockfiles" defined in proxo to proximodo Lists settings
- open your .cfg file in a notepad and copy all the content into the clipboard
- create a new config in Proximodo config screen
- create a folder in the Config tree and select it
- import the clipboard to the tree folder with "Import from Proxomitron"
- check the filters you want to use.
- save the settings
Nov. 30, 2004, 03:04 AM

will have more to say as i become familiar with proximodo, but here's my initial impression...

in a word, AWESOME!

the errors, possibly related to MIME types, are gone on XP. the interface is good looking, intuitive and a pleasure to work with. the descriptions for each filter are very informative. good work! this version is full of useful improvements!

my humble suggestions, if i may...

maybe sticky up a "feature request" topic in your forum???

for really fast filter editing access, add a tree menu to the r-click options of the task bar icon (such as with the 4.5-j version of proxomitron), or not -- see r-click browser context menu later on also...

add option to enable/disable filtering with a single (left) click of the task bar icon, then add a r-click option to open the main UI.

one of the things i didn't really care for with proxomitron was having to edit txt files for relatively mundane purposes, such as adding a website to a "trusted" list. true, with the modded version, you have an icon embedded in the HTML in the upper-left of the page, so it only took a couple clicks. however, i didn't feel that the formatting of the URL which was to be added was "intelligent" enough. for instance, if one visited "www.example.com/index.htm" and added that page to the trusted list, it was added exactly as "www.example.com/index.htm", when what i really wanted was "*.example.com/*" so the WHOLE DOMAIN was trusted. i have a few suggestions regarding this...

first, the add-on proxomitron icon that was embedded in the HTML and accessed via a "mouse-over" was fairly convenient, but not as convenient as it could be. it was also useless much of the time, as parts of its drop-down menu were often unaccessible because it opened in a small frame of a webpage. what i'd rather see is an option to add proximodo r-click functionality anywhere in the browser window (maybe in the form of a browser plug-in).

if you choose to do this, then may i suggest a few different options for adding pages to the filters (such as "trusted", "URL kill", "kill images", etc.). for instance, as mentioned above, add an option to add the whole domain (*.example.com/*), OR, just the current page (example.com/index.htm) to a filter.

almost done. i promise...

i think that proxomitron and proximodo (though i fully realize it's in development) could be considered web filters for the "enthusiast". however i think privacy and the option to omit all the complete, useless crap that annoys us everyday is important to not only to enthusiasts, but many computer newbies as well. so although i don't want to lose one iota of functionality, i wouldn't mind seeing this application become as user friendly as possible. plus, this may help widen the gap between proximodo and its predecessor. here's what i'm thinking...

option in the installer (and UI) to load proximodo at boot.

auto-configure the browser port according to filter status ("all" or "none") (having to manually open the browser settings and delete the port every time i disabled proxo always annoyed me).

auto-reload pages for which a new filter is applied, such as "no images".

auto world domination Cheers

ok... i quit!

EDIT....

oops. 1 more... how about a visual indication, via the task bar icon, as to whether or not filtering is enabled?
Nov. 30, 2004, 09:19 AM

atom;

Good list of requests (directly above, not quoted here for brevity), but I do have one question for you. When you say it's a pain in the butt to add a domain to a list, why is that? Your example doesn't jibe with the capabilities I seem to have. I don't have a mouse-over icon in any of my HTML pages, so I have to assume you're using a non-default config. Moreover, whenever I right click my taskbar icon, I see a list of things at the bottom that let me either Add to a Blockfile, or Edit a Blockfile. The edit option is easy, it just opens the file I selected from a sub-menu. But when I click on the Add option, then the appropriate sub-menu, I get a dialog box that let's me enter whatever I want for a URL, including wild cards. Hell, I even have the option within that dialog to choose to edit the selected file.

Can't ask for much more than that, except maybe an "Auto-Add this page" feature. But before you go any further with that "Auto-Add", let me remind you that lotsa people run their sites from an "overlord" site. What happens if you wanna filter Tommy's site on Geocities? Do you really wanna apply the "Tommy-appropriate" filters to all of Geocities? Maybe to just the 'Members' part of it, right? Sounds to me like you now have a desire to get somewhere between the two extremes, and I don't see too many ways to do that, short of a dialog box.

But you are correct in one thing about all this; editing a text file is not always the easiest way to do things. In fact, if the UI is done correctly, and if the loading order can be absolutely controlled from the UI, then there really should be no need at all to edit a file directly. I'd still save it in ascii format though, just in case something goes blammo in the night. It would be easier to figure out where things have gone south, plus it would be easier to share with others. (If it were stored in a compressed format, then an Import/Export facility would be needed when it came time to share config sets, and that's just extra overhead, IMHO.)

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Nov. 30, 2004, 12:27 PM

Oddysey - thanks for the reply.

re adding URL's in proxo via the dialog box, i like that idea. as i said, i don't wish to lose any functionality. maybe i didn't word my comment right. i just think that another 2 context menu options (available from within the browser) allowing to to add the whole domain -or- just the page would would be a good idea. obviously you are are correct in the geocities example, in which case i'd want to add just the page. there's an awful lot of instances however, where i find myself adding the whole domain. in that case, the procedure (depending on which config is used) is something like: r-click task bar icon > click the filter to open dialog box > type in "hello.com/*" > click "ADD". whereas, with a r-click context menu in IE (or other), the process would be: r-click to open menu and nav to the proximodo sub menu > click "add domain" -or- "add page". done.

and no, i absolutely wouldn't want to lose the txt files either. i think the above may be faster and easier for everyone, especially newcomers, yet the txt files are still available for the advanced users.
Nov. 30, 2004, 06:09 PM

Hi all,
First, a general remark, don't worry if your suggestions are not implemented right away, I append them to my todo list and don't forget them ;-) Up to now, all suggestions have been of great interest. I give priority to bugs and discrepancies, but new features will finally make their way through.

> sticky up a "feature request" topic

There is such a place on SourceForge.net. I also added a sticky topic to the General Discussion forum. Important: I'll regularly update the TODO list on the webpage, so check it before posting a feature request, it may have already been recorded.

> for really fast filter editing access, add a tree menu to the r-click options of the task bar icon

Ok

> enable/disable filtering with a single (left) click of the task bar icon

Ok

> add proximodo r-click functionality anywhere in the browser window

That's problematic: it makes the software dependant from both the OS and the browser. I really want to keep Proximodo multi-platform, and it should offer the same level of functionality under Windows, Linux or MacOS, whether you use Netscape, IE, Mozilla, Opera, Firefox, Konqueror or Safari. And I don't feel like learning to write a specific plug-in for each of them. I know it would be cool, some software makers do choose to design their product for a particular OS/browser, but it then costs at lot to widen its compatibility to other browsers. Take Firefox plugins: at each release of Firefox, all plug-ins stop working and their authors must rework them to make them compatible again! I really can't afford doing that, sorry.

But what I could do is keep an history of last accessed domains, to offer an add-to-list option in the taskbar.

On the other hand, if someone feels like starting such a plug-in project (open-source ;-) ) I could consider including in Proximodo a monitoring server, that would wait on an other port for stat requests or commands.

> i wouldn't mind seeing this application become as user friendly as possible

[lol] I was discussing this by mail with someone. That is indeed my dearest wish for Proximodo, that Gran'ma could install it and use it on her own. Once the GUI works smoothly and proxy/engine are bug-free, I would like to solicit the Proxo community for the design of a general-purpose default filter-set and complete default lists, that would need no user-tweaking for a cool and carefree web experience. Organising filters in folders would allow a single-click action for enabling/disabling whole features, such as "ad-removal" or "fast-browsing" (force cache usage). What do you think?

> option in the installer (and UI) to load proximodo at boot.

Ok (at least under Windows, because I assume Gran'ma doesn't use Linux)

> auto-configure the browser port according to filter status ("all" or "none")

Again, this is OS/browser dependent. Anyway, why would we restore browser settings, as long as the proxy does not alter pages when filtering is off? I suppose you mean when you shut down Proxo, but changing browser settings on proxy loading/shutdown raises issues (it may not work if a browser window is already open).

> auto-reload pages for which a new filter is applied, such as "no images".

I really don't know how to do that (without a plug-in). Once the browser retrieved a page through the proxy, it is on its own. The proxy cannot take the initiative to refresh the browser, the http protocol does not allow that. Unless keeping the persistent connection endlessly, and forcing an autorefresh every second (with a systematic 304 Not Modified response by the proxy) but that would be bad for traffic and prevent correct processing of genuine auto-refresh requests.

> visual indication, via the task bar icon

Ok
Nov. 30, 2004, 11:59 PM

Quote:First, a general remark, don't worry if your suggestions are not implemented right away, I append them to my todo list and don't forget them ;-) Up to now, all suggestions have been of great interest. I give priority to bugs and discrepancies, but new features will finally make their way through.

understood. thanks!

Quote:> add proximodo r-click functionality anywhere in the browser window

That's problematic: ...

...But what I could do is keep an history of last accessed domains, to offer an add-to-list option in the taskbar.

that's almost just as good! although at this point i'm all windows and IE, i want to move to a 64 bit OS and am looking at various flavors of linux. point is, i fully agree about keeping it multi-platform.

Quote:On the other hand, if someone feels like starting such a plug-in project...

i hope someone has an interest in this. good idea.

Quote:...Organising filters in folders would allow a single-click action for enabling/disabling whole features, such as "ad-removal" or "fast-browsing" (force cache usage). What do you think?

absolutely!

Quote:> option in the installer (and UI) to load proximodo at boot.

Ok (at least under Windows, because I assume Gran'ma doesn't use Linux)

well, MS is no. 1 in the home user OS business -- but -- when you're no. 1, there's only one way to go... down! unfortunately, windows was my 1st OS and it's become entrenched in my brain. i really want to go to linux though.

Quote:> auto-configure the browser port according to filter status ("all" or "none")

...Anyway, why would we restore browser settings, as long as the proxy does not alter pages when filtering is off?...

ah, you're right. i overlooked that. good enough. now i'm trying to remember WHY i unloaded proxo several times, rather than disabling it, and then changed port settings to use the browser. hmmm.

Quote:> auto-reload pages for which a new filter is applied, such as "no images".

I really don't know how to do that (without a plug-in)...

proxo did it somehow, but i don't know how or under what circumstances. i think that if you added a page to the trusted (or other) filter by using the dialog box (not directly editing the txt file), it would leave the existing browser window open, but then open a new window with the filter applied. maybe this could be the equivalent of a keyboard combo to open the page in a new window??? don't know if it's platform dependent though.

thanks for the reply!
Dec. 01, 2004, 05:39 PM

kuruden and atom;

I'll try this again, from memory. Somehow, last night I tried to reply, and the forum ate my response - I swear! No Expression Not the first time, either. Sucks to forget to hit Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C before I hit "Preview Post".

in re: reloading a page after a filter mod.....

It can be done, in at least two ways I can think of. If you'll allow me to be so bold..... The first is not too obvious, because it's a part of the DOM, and is just not discussed anywhere that most coders are likely to find it. In point of fact, IE and its clones can perform :exec: commands, with arguments. One of those arguments is :refresh. But this has been available since 1998, so I'm sure that other browser authors have either been including this feature set (very quietly, to be sure), or are going to start implementing it soon, if for no other reason than to keep up with the biggest gorilla on the block.

And second, when sending a repeat request for the same URL, you do indeed get a 204/304 from a properly configured server, instead of a repeat performance. However, even poorly configured servers will view each request with an eye to "building" a resource for delivery to the requestor. If you want to repeat your most recent HTML GET request, I suggest that you merely append a question mark and two or three characters. The server will classify this as a new request, and should not send a 304 response. Instead, it should (stress the "should") attempt to fulfill the request as best as it can, and merely send you back what you asked for. Failing to find anything for the question mark should not send the server into a conniption fit, although I'm sure that some rookie SysAdmin, somewhere, has set his/her server up to do just that. Sigh.... there outta be a law. [angry]

Now for some philosophical discussion. Yes, most people modify a filter (or two or three) to deal with the current page. But sometimes, I'll be reading Page X, and get a bright idea for a filter to control Page Y, from some entirely different place. (Does this forum ring any bells, folks?) So, if a forced reload takes place, when in fact I was gonna go test my latest brain-fart on another page, then I've not only wasted electrons, I've also blown a gasket at being forced to do something that I don't think should be done.

If you to implement this feature, and I admit it could be handy, then I suggest that you also give users the option to enable/disable it. With clear instructions on the effects. Rookie users will not understand the nuances, I'm sure, so perhaps the default should be to leave it off at the initial installation.

Is my two cents worth up to a nickel yet? :o

Oddysey

Dec. 01, 2004, 11:56 PM

Oddysey Wrote:...But sometimes, I'll be reading Page X, and get a bright idea for a filter to control Page Y, from some entirely different place. (Does this forum ring any bells, folks?) So, if a forced reload takes place, when in fact I was gonna go test my latest brain-fart on another page, then I've not only wasted electrons, I've also blown a gasket at being forced to do something that I don't think should be done.
unless i'm missing something, this would be my thinking:

if you add an unopened page to filter, can't proxi just get the URL of the page you do have open (or not), then determine that the URL you added doesn't match the current page, so no reload???

or, if you have 2 pages open, a and b, and b is the active window and you add URL a to a filter, can proxi determine what the active window URL is and not reload a???

also, i think your idea of offering an option to use, or not use auto-reload is good, except my thinking is to enable it by default. this may result in less options to "mess with" as a new user, yet the advanced user will likely go through all the options anyway.
Dec. 03, 2004, 07:57 AM

atom;
Quote:if you add an unopened page to filter, can't proxi just get the URL of the page you do have open (or not), then determine that the URL you added doesn't match the current page, so no reload???

or, if you have 2 pages open, a and b, and b is the active window and you add URL a to a filter, can proxi determine what the active window URL is and not reload a???
Nope, you're not missing anything, at least not in your design theory. As I see it, however, there would be a lot of overhead in the code to make this happen. Perhaps not, but that's just the way I tend to think when I'm in coding mode. It certainly is possible that after all the other stuff (auto-reload) is programmed in, this mechanism would be only 5 or 10 more lines, but I believe it will be more like 20 to 30 lines. (I like to check for errors, and usually I overdo it. B)) But ultimately, that would be kuruden's decision, so I think we've given him enough to ponder for a future release. Smile!

Quote:also, i think your idea of offering an option to use, or not use auto-reload is good, except my thinking is to enable it by default. this may result in less options to "mess with" as a new user, yet the advanced user will likely go through all the options anyway.

Well, I tend to see it as "if the user gets hit between the eyes with something unexpected, and he has to fumble around to find out what it is, or to disable it, then you've pissed him off." A page re-load (where the screen goes blank for a moment) will likely scare the be-jebus out of most newbies, and we certainly don't wanna be constantly answering emails like "Why is my screen flashing every time I modify a filter?" Atom, I gar-own-tee you, even if you put a big, red, flashing, banner across the filter editing dialog box, one that warns the user the screen will flash due to a page re-load, the user will miss that every damned time, and will instead scratch his head, and go "Duhhh!"

Remember, we're not talking about the time it takes to re-load a page here, we're talking about the time it takes to manually request that re-load. (Mouse click, keystroke, voice command, whatever.) Rookies might be impressed with technology and programming whiz-bang, but in the end, they feel safer when things don't tend to auto-execute at unexpected moments. This would qualify as one of those moments, trust me. [lol]

Oddysey

Dec. 25, 2004, 04:50 PM

from reading the forum, it appears that proxi works reasonably well with firefox. anyone have anything new to report regarding this?

i'm about to dump IE and OE and go with firefox (actually the whole mozilla suite). i am in no way content using add/remove progs to "uninstall" IE (what a joke), so, yet again, i went looking for 3rd party tools to get the annoying, security hole ridden, JVM lacking, privacy robbing piece of junk off my HD. well well well -- low and behold I STRUCK GOLD!!!! remove it hell! never install it in the first place! it's called "nLite", as in"enlighten", and at first appears to be yet another custom windows install tool to slipstream service packs and run unattended. well, it's much more than that. don't want to install IE? fine. WMP? OK. the entire ALERTER service? no problem. integrate SP2? of course! run a massive amount of custom post install options? sure!:

http://nuhi.msfn.org/
Dec. 26, 2004, 08:40 PM

Kuruden,

Quote:Take Firefox plugins: at each release of Firefox, all plug-ins stop working and their authors must rework them to make them compatible again! I really can't afford doing that, sorry.
Actually, it is the extensions that stop working when Firefox is updated. The plugins seem to be much more robust. I have never had to worry about them when Firefox is updated.
Quote:Organising filters in folders would allow a single-click action for enabling/disabling whole features, such as "ad-removal" or "fast-browsing" (force cache usage). What do you think?
"Ad-removal" is such a wide topic that I don't know that that would be practical. Ads can be anchor-type banners, Javascript entities of various kinds (and varying degrees of annoyance), popups, popunders, floating ads (initboxes), Shockwave, and probably others that I have forgotten.