To use Proxomitron and beat down dumb worms...
Nov. 29, 2004, 08:56 PM

Oddysey Wrote:Kye-U;

Come on, all he did was create a link that had one thing in the url, and something else in the text portion. It's no secret what the login codes are, if one cares to look. No harm in what he did, but he made it look like he was being more tricky than he really was.

I give him an A for boldness (even if he was brash), a C- for lack of ingenuity, and an F in citizenship (he should have asked you first). All in all, that's pretty much a wash. Hope your blood pressure is back to normal! [lol]

Oddysey
I knew it wasn't a malicious link or anything.

My blood pressure was fine; I just was annoyed I signed myself out [rolleyes]

No worries Oddysey and No13, I'm not too strict when it comes to "experimental" things, but when it's a "clear" and "direct" threat, watch out Pervert
Visit this user's website
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 29, 2004, 09:45 PM

(returning now to the topic of the thread......)

no13;

I'm not a worm writer (nor any other kind of bozoware writer), so I can't speak to what worms do. But given your suppositions...... If Worm A sniffs out IE's proxy settings, and Worm B does not, then who's to say which worm is "dumb", "advanced", or whatever. But I have to wonder... what would happen if one uses Windows, and has competely removed all traces of IE (oh yes indeedy, it can be done), then are some worms stopped dead in their tracks? Perhaps so. But if even one worm gets through, then a lot of effort has gone into solving only part of the problem. There is a technical term we engineers use for this kind of solution: half-assed.

besafe, and others here, have it right - use the correct tool for the job at hand, and don't try to make one tool do a job that another tool does so much better. If you were to have asked my advice, I'd tell you that it's up to you to decide what's more important to you - spending your time surfing with security by using the appropriate tools, or spending your time attempting to make Proxo do something that other tools do much better. Your call. No Expression

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Nov. 30, 2004, 08:48 AM

besafe;
Quote:
Oddysey @ Nov 24 2004 @ 05:23 AM Wrote:no13;
Hence, even if you have two browsers up and running side-by-side, only one of them will be able to use Proxo to get out to the 'net.

Oddysey

I use two browsers all the time Oddysey and both go through Proxo. One at a time though if that's what you mean.
Actually, that is exactly what I mean. In point of fact, you could use both browsers simultaneously, if you should so wish, so long as they are both configured to use the localhost/port configured in Proxo. As far as Proxo is concerned, it just makes the filtered datastream available, it doesn't really care 'who' picks it up. Big Teeth

Oddysey

Nov. 30, 2004, 10:55 AM

err.. sorry if that was rude guys, but I think we should be allowed have some (non-malicious) fun?
Anywhu, won't happen again.
Odyssey Wrote:Just because some people click without looking doesn't mean that you should attempt to take advantage of that factoid. More to the point, most of those kinds of folks don't visit here....
no13 Wrote:many, many people click without thinking. Maybe we need a filter to avoid this particular crappy stunt I tried to pull.
-----
'nother enraged mod. *sigh*. 3rd time I've done it (within 4 months).

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><i><span style='color:#0000FF'>Projekt</span> </span><span style='color:#FF0000'>D</span><span style='color:#008200'>F</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>S</span></i> : <b><span style='color:#0000FF'>projekt</span><span style='color:#FF0000'>d</span><span style='color:#008200'>f</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>s</span></b>[at]<span style='color:BLUE'>g</span><span style='color:RED'>m</span><span style='color:#ce9a31'>a</span><span style='color:BLUE'>i</span><span style='color:#008200'>l</span><span style='color:BLACK'>.</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>com </span><span style='color:BLACK'>: <u>What</u> is it?</span><br>It&#39;s ONLINE <span style='color:#FF0000'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>NOW</span></span>&#33;&#33;&#33;pm me for url. max 250 users. by invite only please.
Nov. 30, 2004, 11:03 AM

err... I don't know what 'codes' you webdev people are talking about. All I did was take the link from up on the banner's side and paste it.
I was just thinking that if a link starts off as "http://....." but the textis different than what's underneath as the URL, shouldn't there be a filter to fix it?
But sometimes, on boards, perfectly fine links show up as ....
"http://www.google.com/search....ac+supply...&..."
Dunno how one goes about to fix that.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><i><span style='color:#0000FF'>Projekt</span> </span><span style='color:#FF0000'>D</span><span style='color:#008200'>F</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>S</span></i> : <b><span style='color:#0000FF'>projekt</span><span style='color:#FF0000'>d</span><span style='color:#008200'>f</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>s</span></b>[at]<span style='color:BLUE'>g</span><span style='color:RED'>m</span><span style='color:#ce9a31'>a</span><span style='color:BLUE'>i</span><span style='color:#008200'>l</span><span style='color:BLACK'>.</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>com </span><span style='color:BLACK'>: <u>What</u> is it?</span><br>It&#39;s ONLINE <span style='color:#FF0000'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>NOW</span></span>&#33;&#33;&#33;pm me for url. max 250 users. by invite only please.
Dec. 01, 2004, 08:24 AM

no13;
Quote:I think we should be allowed have some (non-malicious) fun.
Point taken, and fun it was, depending on how kinky one might be. <_< I certainly didn't get bit, and I was tickled pink to find that Kye-U fell for it, on his own board yet. <guffaw> We do have fun here, this isn't an "all business, all the time" board, not by a long shot. :P

Quote:..... but the text is different than what's underneath as the URL, shouldn't there be a filter to fix it?
<span style='color:AD0008'>[Soap box]</span>
In essence, writing a filter to do this is easy, but the effects are far reaching. Since you have already expressed a desire to write filters for the average web surfer (meaning, morons who don't even have the IQ of a raw carrot), I perceive that you want to put this kind of filter into a configuration set for Joe Six-pack. Great idea, but...... what happens if you re-write a link that described what the page author was trying to tell Joe, and Joe sees what he thinks is gibberish? Will he still click it? Good question. Next, what if the link is about 200 characters long? The description it replaced was only 30 or 40 characters, but now, the page layout has been rendered crappy, thanks to all those extra characters that the author didn't plan for. Big oops, don't you agree? [beatdown]
<span style='color:AD0008'>[/Soap box]</span>

BTW, there is a filter in most config sets, including the defaut, that shows the underlying URL in the status bar. That's what I use, almost as religiously as breathing. That's why I was so surprised to see Kye-U get pantsed. Wonder if he'll start using that more often...... Big Teeth

Quote:'nother enraged mod. *sigh*. 3rd time I've done it (within 4 months).
Please take note that no Mods or Admins were enraged during the making of your message. If that was your intent, then you'll have to go back to the drawing board. <_<

Ah, what the hell..... I was just pointing out that you can easily catch people by surprise, and sometimes, particularly if you are new, those surprised people will fail to see the humor, and will likely react in a less-than-polite fashion, if you get my drift. Don't worry, I had the same problem when I first got here, and look at me now! [rolleyes] WOOT, WOOT!!

Oddysey

Dec. 02, 2004, 04:35 AM

Quote:Please take note that no Mods or Admins were enraged during the making of your message.
Thank you lord. Bless these kind hearted people. *sob* *sob* *sniff*

Off topic: I'm now the "Resident Nutcase" now over at Wilders'.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/member.php?u=23745
Lookie under my name!!!