Need Code for Vb.net search engine
Nov. 23, 2004, 12:09 AM

Hi "Guyz",
I have a "Friend" Cheers here that is working on a project and he is looking for some code on how to do a search engine query. Could You please help if You can, or at least point him in the right direction? Thankx in Advance.

Hello Forum...
I'm trying to write a search engine code to query my Access database. I have navigational buttons...and they work fine at form load. However, when I query the database based upon an user-entered searchable criteria, the records are getting all out of wack.

For Example... I have a combo box and when the user clicks on the search criteria and enters in text and hits submit search......The database queries correctly and shows that I have X amount of records that match that query, however....when I start clicking on the navigational buttons, the record numbers get out of order.

My first question: How do I fix the navigational buttons to work right?

My second question: Can someone offer some open source code for a search engine that does not have to match exactly. For Example...If a man's name is Joe....and they type Jo, it will still bring up Joe whatever.

Thanks,
anonymous

Best Wishes,
Smile!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 23, 2004, 01:38 AM

Why don't you tell your "friend" to look at this site. I'm sure it has exactly what he/she needs.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Nov. 23, 2004, 02:00 AM

Shea;

Good catch, that site! Cheers

~~~~~~~~~
Jak;

I have a feeling that if "your friend" was coherent, then what he/she asked for was going to make him/her tear his hair out by the roots. Consider:

If you set a sort criterion, and then set one or more search criteria, then the returned records will not be in numerical record order. The classical case, and good for illustrating my point, is when new additions are being added constantly. Such new additions are appended at the end of the database, not in the middle or at the beginning. Now, if the database is sorted alphabetically, it is all but certain that the latest records, which have higher numerical record numbers, will be placed somewhere between the 'A's and the 'Z's, thus making navigation by record number quite difficult, if not impossible.

What needs to be done is not mess with the database, but instead, re-train the operator's thinking. Said operator should not be thinking "record number such-and-such", he/she should be thinking "returned result number such-and-such". For this to be implemented, merely assign a unique number, in ascending order, to each record returned by the query. Then, report that assignment in the "navigation control feedback" field (the field that currently says what record number you're on).

And, *ahem* (*cough*), for the record (oh, I'm gonna get it now! [beatdown]), if that query result leads to a selection for further processing, the actual record number is still present, it's just not reported on the screen. Your friend can still use that identifier to initiate whatever other procedures are desired.

As far as returning results based on near-look-alike spellings and such..... Your pal needs to investigate the Soundex routines. 'Nuff said.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Nov. 25, 2004, 06:00 PM

Hey "Thankx Guyz",
Excellent site, . ."Shea", . .and "Oddysey" I always appreciate Your insights, infor and most of all Your "humorous Cut-to-the-chase" approach. Smile!
Take Care, , , ,and as You "Yankz" always say at this time of the Year
"HAPPY THANKX-GIVING" EVERYONE!
Best Wishes,
"JaK" [smoke]