need filters to be mercilessly edited
Nov. 19, 2004, 11:49 AM

Hi.
I'm a total newbie to proxo configuration, but I love its extreme functionality. Rocker
I have a small (large) Cry problem though. I need filters to be mercilessly edited (and a few to be created). [beatdown]

Firstly : I have failed to find a tutorial on filter creation. Banging Head Got a link?
Secondly : I require filters to block referres, block session/foreign cookies (unless site/url is on ALLOW list - or is it bypass list?) [blink]
Thirdly : Adblocking would be nice, but i don't need it yet.
And finally : I'd like a couple of things like UserAgent blocking (the config named Cloak_UA from the proxo Yahoo group did not work for Firefox v1), semi-automated login to sites requiring security codes (meaning a button shows up in webpage... yes I read the thread here, and no, I did not understand much.)

Hail
I understand that it may not be possible for someone to just do this stuff for me, but I'd greatly appreciate any directions.

And finally, sorry for usin' so many smilies... (my brother's here and he likes animated images)

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><i><span style='color:#0000FF'>Projekt</span> </span><span style='color:#FF0000'>D</span><span style='color:#008200'>F</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>S</span></i> : <b><span style='color:#0000FF'>projekt</span><span style='color:#FF0000'>d</span><span style='color:#008200'>f</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>s</span></b>[at]<span style='color:BLUE'>g</span><span style='color:RED'>m</span><span style='color:#ce9a31'>a</span><span style='color:BLUE'>i</span><span style='color:#008200'>l</span><span style='color:BLACK'>.</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>com </span><span style='color:BLACK'>: <u>What</u> is it?</span><br>It&#39;s ONLINE <span style='color:#FF0000'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>NOW</span></span>&#33;&#33;&#33;pm me for url. max 250 users. by invite only please.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 19, 2004, 06:25 PM

no13;

First, Welcome to the forums!

Second, tell your brother to get his own account here! :o

Third, no problem with the smilies, we all use them at least once in awhile. [Insert ironic lack of smilies here.]

Fouth, you've come to the right place. We can answer your questions, and have already done so. Here's the basic gist of what you need to do, in the order you listed them:

a- While there is no direct "hand-holding" tutorial, the Proxo Help files are pretty complete. The problem for most people is that they were written by a programmer, for programmers. Just take it easy, ask questions here as often as you wish/need, and you'll eventually figure out how to "read between the lines" of what Scott was saying. Don't be shy. :P

b- The basic configuration that comes with Proxo has a Block Referrers filter already in it. If it's not already turned on, open the Proxo interface, find the filter, and activate it.

c- Oh yes you do need ad blocking. That's exactly how "they" are tracking you, your surfing habits, perhaps even your shopping habits, etc. The advertising is only a small part of the overall picture. We don't get into it a lot here, most of us already take it for granted that There's no such thing as an acceptable ad. There are lots of websites out there that can fill your head full of info on this topic, should you feel the need. Just ask, and we'll point them out. (Or better yet, Google for them!)

d- You need, not just want, but <span style='color:red'>need</span> the JakxPack Spoofer Set. Read all the way through the entire thread (it's long), and don't take the first download you see, there are updates along the way. After you've read (and presumably, understood) the instructions, install it, and sleep much better at night, knowing that you're creating headaches for those trackers who use automated tools to extract the IP addresses of those who visit them.

As always, ask questions. Don't think, not even for a minute, that any of us were born knowing this stuff - we all got here by asking questions our own selves. The only difference between you and us right now is that we were introduced to Proxo sooner in life than you were, that's all. [lol]

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Nov. 20, 2004, 10:50 AM

hmm...
as soon as my brother can start reading, I'll set up an account for him Big Teeth
I failed to mention that I use only Firefox browser and am using AdBlock
plugin... is that ok for our purposes, or do we need to use adblocking via Proxo?
And what about cloaking the user agent? is it possible to get filters that say I'm using (for example) IE 5 ALL the time?

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><i><span style='color:#0000FF'>Projekt</span> </span><span style='color:#FF0000'>D</span><span style='color:#008200'>F</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>S</span></i> : <b><span style='color:#0000FF'>projekt</span><span style='color:#FF0000'>d</span><span style='color:#008200'>f</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>s</span></b>[at]<span style='color:BLUE'>g</span><span style='color:RED'>m</span><span style='color:#ce9a31'>a</span><span style='color:BLUE'>i</span><span style='color:#008200'>l</span><span style='color:BLACK'>.</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>com </span><span style='color:BLACK'>: <u>What</u> is it?</span><br>It&#39;s ONLINE <span style='color:#FF0000'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>NOW</span></span>&#33;&#33;&#33;pm me for url. max 250 users. by invite only please.
Nov. 20, 2004, 11:41 AM

hmm... I tried reading the thread (I really did) but it was OHT (Over Head Transmission)... guess I'll try again next month when there's less pressure on my behind, eh?

Hey, a quickie question...
What would happen if...
a. I merge all configs available in the full downloads section here?
b. don't want to do all the .bat and such stuff in JakxPack (I can always put it in my startup, but I'm really lazy)

Nov. 20, 2004, 12:07 PM

no13 Wrote:What would happen if...
a. I merge all configs available in the full downloads section here?
I would not recommend it...
Most "maintained" config sets rely on themselves - meaning that filter 42 is dependent upon filter 6 and 7...
When you "just slap them all together", you run the risk of config set B 'breaking' config set A...

That does not imply that you cannot take filter XYZ from within config set B and "slap it into" config set A - in fact, that's what the vast majority of us Prox(o|i) users do...

Generally speaking, we all use a "base config" (like sidki's and JD's) and "tweak" it to our own O.C.D. tendencies by checking this, unchecking that, adding various filters, et cetera...

ps - Prox(o|i) is the "new lingo" for Proxomitron/Proximodo... I'll claim the 'copyright' on it, but all are invited to 'plagiarize'... Smile!
Nov. 20, 2004, 12:45 PM

So what's the recommended set here?
JD or sidki?
can I merge JakxPack IV onto it?
please keep in mind post #1 above, and also that I won't be able to learn filter editing before Jan. (exams)

Nov. 20, 2004, 01:09 PM

no13 Wrote:So what's the recommended set here?
JD or sidki?
can I merge JakxPack IV onto it?
please keep in mind post #1 above, and also that I won't be able to learn filter editing before Jan. (exams)
They're both great configs...
I prefer sidki's, but JD's is great also...
It's a matter of personal preference...

I've incorporated JakxPack into my versions of JD's configs, but not on sidki's...

But you can do so on sidki's as well - keeping in mind that the ORDER of filters is important...

I've been waiting for JakxPack Five to do anything more with it...
Nov. 20, 2004, 01:11 PM

canya upload your configWink ... please?

Nov. 20, 2004, 02:03 PM

I'm using sidki's...
My only additions are "form fillers" to automatically add usernames and passwords to make paying my credit cards and viewing my account information easier (so no, you can't have those Smile!)...
Nov. 20, 2004, 02:10 PM

damn. you haven't made a backup that don't have CC nos/ usrname-pwd, have you?
Banging Head
Guess I'll wait out Nov/Dec before I get on the Proxo case (Proximodo for later)

Edit: what about the user agent problem?

Nov. 20, 2004, 02:15 PM

"I see your Prox(o|i), and raise you Proxospeke" (a la 1984/George Orwell)
Proxospeke : The programming language for proxomitron filters.
what about it... "It don't have a name, do it?"

Nov. 21, 2004, 02:09 AM

no13;

As implied elsewhere, the JakxPack Spoofer Set seems to integrate seamlessly with both JD5000 and sidki3003's config sets. (As well as most nearly any other config set I've ever heard of.) When the odd problem does crop up, we generally all work together, and find the culprit pretty quick. So far, there's been no absolute "can't do it, no matter what" postings.

As for running a batch file, you should dig a little deeper into that thread. There is a discussion between Jak, Kye-U, and Shea, wherein a simpler method of cleaning the history files is provided, taking the place of Jak's original batch file. Hopefully, this will be more to your liking.

For now, at the risk of irritating one member or the other, I'll suggest that you install sidki's set, and make sure it works for you over the next few days. Once you're satisfed with that, then install the JakxPack spoofers, and test to your satisfaction that everything works as advertised. After that, I'd go get Kye-U's Super-Duper Browser Security Pack, and install it. Kye-U has worked damned hard to help users lock out bad guys, no matter what browser they might be using, so you might wanna check it out. The thread's another long one, but not nearly as in-depth as Jak's, so you should be comfortable with it. And as usual, get the last d/l in the thread, not one of the earlier ones.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Nov. 21, 2004, 04:54 AM

thanks!
hmm.. have u guys seen... http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/rema...=flat~days=9999
Are we safe from this on Proxo(Kye-u)+IE?

Nov. 21, 2004, 05:20 AM

no13 Wrote:thanks!
hmm.. have u guys seen... http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/rema...=flat~days=9999
Are we safe from this on Proxo(Kye-u)+IE?
You should be protected.

The filters in my pack are pretty generic. For instance, one prevents local file access, another removes <objects> with a 0 width/height value.

If you're not, I will update the pack Eyes Closed Smile
Visit this user's website
Nov. 21, 2004, 06:54 AM

Version 4.25 Released:

http://prxbx.com/forums/index.ph...=210&#entry3104

I've focused on that issue in this release Smile!
Visit this user's website