Few things 'bout filters
Nov. 18, 2004, 10:51 PM

I have already discussed these things with Kuruden over AIM, but I just want to post my thoughts here.

1. After importing some Proxomitron filters, I found them to be all out of order. It would be nice to have a rigid list, such as the filter list in Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 so that the filtering order is maintained. This means that the filters are kept in order. (I didn't discuss this with him)

-This would be a problem due to the "Sorting" tabs currently used. Important thing is to maintain order and structure of filters when importing [lol]

2. Separate the Web and Header Filter lists in either a Folder Tree or a Menu. (FOr those Proxomitron users who are used to the division of the two)

3. Support the direct import of an existing Proxomitron config into Proximodo. (Autoload all Lists files on startup, and maintain the order of the filters, which is explained in #1)

That's all for now Cheers

I think #2, separating the Web and Header Filter lists is the most important thing to improve right now Smile! I'm too used to Proxomitron's divided lists :P
Visit this user's website
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 18, 2004, 10:58 PM

Kye-U Wrote:I think #2, separating the Web and Header Filter lists is the most important thing to improve right now Smile! I'm too used to Proxomitron's divided lists :P
Hey now, let's leave priority of implementation up to the programmer...

Who are we to prioritize importance of our suggestions?
SSL, filter order, header versus pattern list, window size, and forthcoming suggestions - the programmer knows best, IMO...
Nov. 19, 2004, 12:24 AM

Jeez , just when I finally feel comfortable with Proxomitron , I've got another hill to climb , Proximodo . I dl'ed it but can't get the sucker to work ! It won't connect to the internet using 127.0.0.1:8080 in the settings . Besides , how do I keep my modified Sidke's config with JakxAgents and Shea's bat . Oh , well I think I just lurk around and try to absorb it through osmosis . Wasn't that modo guy a Lon Cheney character ? Now you know how old I am ! Have a great evening , Ralph
Nov. 19, 2004, 01:08 AM

Hey!
The "programmer" feels alone. Would someone join him on Sourceforge?

Proximodo is open-source, because
1- I believe a collaborative development model is the best way to make great free software
2- I don't think I can alone make a software that will satisfy everybody
3- If you think you can do better than I, go on! My sources are at your disposal :-) That's the magic of open-source.

That said, I really praise your own experience with proxomitron and your feedback and criticisms. I will make developments wrt. priorities expressed in testers' feedback.

Ralph, my English is not good enough to understand the overtones in your message. Proximodo is not meant to replace Proxomitron, it is only an alternative (and the baby is still only 6 weeks old). If you feel comfortable with Proxomitron, there is absolutely no obligation for you to migrate. My work is a non-profit completely benevolent contribution to the community, not an attempt to overthrow Proxomitron.

Now, the build on Sourceforge is compiled with SSE and Pentium instruction sets. It should make it compatible with Intel Pentium or over and AMD equivalents. Is it your case? Next, are you running both Proxomitron and Proximodo? In this case you should set different ports (you probably know it well, I just mention it as a matter of formality). It needs pressing the Apply button to be effective in Proximodo.

I am pleased to see so much enthousiasm about Proximodo and its possible evolutions. I have now got several very important comments on filters/configurations management. It seems inadequate for advanced use, in particular when importing/creating filters meant to work as a whole. Let's discuss a better way to handle it. Hopefully the GUI and engine are very independant, so we can decide drastic GUI changes without having more than a few source files to rework.

Someone reported trouble with IE (incomplete page downloads). The problem does not appear with Firefox (that's the best, and again it proves it ;-))) I'll track the bug.
Nov. 19, 2004, 03:21 PM

Quote:Ralph, my English is not good enough to understand the overtones in your message.
Kuruden , I am very sorry that you thought there were overtones or a hidden message in my post ; there were none . My only intent was to interject some humor , since the name " Proximodo " reminded me of a character , "Quasimodo " in the classic American silent film , The Hunchback of Notre Dame . I am one of thousands of users of the magnificent Proximitron program which has made my internet experience a pleasure . I welcome your dedicated efforts to expand the program and to keep it current . Only then will Scotts legacy live on . My fondest admiration goes to you and your colleagues .
Nov. 19, 2004, 05:40 PM

It's okay Ralph [lol] I'm European but I enjoy American movies more than French ones, yet I don't remember having ever seen or heard about Chaney before (is it a shame?). My Quasimodo references are more related to Patrick Timsit... Anyway the Quasimodo sound of the project name was intended Wink
Nov. 19, 2004, 07:02 PM

kuruden;

Ralph is our token "old fart". He never fails to remind us that Methuselah was his son, and the he needs to be kick-started every morning, just to remind him that he's still alive! [lol]

Yes, there's some humor here at the Unofficial Proxomitron Forums! Your grasp of English is far better than some examples we've seen, so don't worry about a thing. In time, either the "undertones" will become clear to you, or else you'll understand that the speaker is out of his mind. :o Big Teeth [rolleyes]

And for the record, your reference to Lon Chaney was spelled correctly, Ralph was "asleep" when he typed in his reference. <_< Love the old movie connotation.

I'll be in and out of touch for the next two weeks. After that, I'll take a serious look at the SourceForge project, and see if there's anywhere I can contribute. In the meantime, one thing I'd like to say right now, without any real "in-depth" testing of Proxi, is that Kye-u represents only a fraction (small? large?) of the user community. I, for one, would rather see all the filters at the same time, in one list, without having to toggle back and forth between headers and so-called "web" filters. (Scott blew it with that name - it should have been "body" or "content" or anything else besides "web". I mean, the headers are coming over the web too, aren't they???)

Putting an identifier field near the top of the Filter Edit screen - "Header In", "Header Out", or "Body" ("Content"?) would be more than good enough - it would be great not to have to keep going over to the left side, scrolling up or down, and then drilling down yet another tree branch. And after all, guys, the whole config set is stored in one lousy file - why go through the extra effort to segregate some of the filters from others? That's discrimination! Wink

That's my ?0.02 worth!

Oddysey

p.s. For those who want to reproduce the euro symbol as I just did, the HTML shortcut is either & euro ; (works for some browsers, not all), or & # 8364 ;. That's an ampersand, the four letters e, u, r, and o, followed by a semi-colon (with no spaces in between). Ditto for the pound sign and numbers. That last one should work on every browser - indeed, I don't even see it in this form box, once I've hit the Preview Post button, it comes back as the true euro symbol!

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Nov. 19, 2004, 07:24 PM

Oddysey Wrote:I, for one, would rather see all the filters at the same time, in one list, without having to toggle back and forth between headers and so-called "web" filters.
AMEN, brother...

I *love* seeing them all in ONE list...
Just because Proxomitron separated them out and the Proxo-user is "used to" it being that way, that doesn't mean in and of itself that the 'used to' way is "better"...

Once the filters retain a pre-defined order (a must, especially with JD and sidki configs), then simply 'order' the "header" filters above the "content" filters and whoala, your config is "ordered" in the same ol' "used to" ordering...