CNET recommends PC- cillin over NAV
Nov. 22, 2004, 09:43 AM

Hi Jak...
I've been on this case for a LOOONG time...
not much info, help or anything else.
http://wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=54724
That's me, yes sir.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><i><span style='color:#0000FF'>Projekt</span> </span><span style='color:#FF0000'>D</span><span style='color:#008200'>F</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>S</span></i> : <b><span style='color:#0000FF'>projekt</span><span style='color:#FF0000'>d</span><span style='color:#008200'>f</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>s</span></b>[at]<span style='color:BLUE'>g</span><span style='color:RED'>m</span><span style='color:#ce9a31'>a</span><span style='color:BLUE'>i</span><span style='color:#008200'>l</span><span style='color:BLACK'>.</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>com </span><span style='color:BLACK'>: <u>What</u> is it?</span><br>It&#39;s ONLINE <span style='color:#FF0000'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>NOW</span></span>&#33;&#33;&#33;pm me for url. max 250 users. by invite only please.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 22, 2004, 06:31 PM

n013:

Have you installed TF6 yet?
[proxo+tiny] > [outpost+ssm]=definately, but you could ask the security gurus at the Kerio/Tiny forum or the Tiny forum and I'm sure they will corroborate. Tiny has no equal; Ive tried Outpost pro and free ,ZA pro and free, Sygate pro and free, Kerio 2.1.5, and a few others. You will find that although TF6 has some flaws as most software does that once you get used to using it it becomes quite addictive and gives you an unbelievable amount of control over your entire pc. The more you know the tighter you can lock it down.
Nov. 22, 2004, 08:53 PM

Besafe, I'm quite interested in Tiny now (after what I've heard).

Would you be so kind as to post some basic tips on how to use it? Eyes Closed Smile

Thanks!

BTW, I think we're going off-topic... Big Teeth
Visit this user's website
Nov. 22, 2004, 10:10 PM

Kye-U;
That's easier said than done. The best advice is to use the Help menu in the Admin Center. It describes what TF is and does and is like a rough manual. The default settings are pretty good but I like to take apps like IE,OE, Explorer etc. out of "trusted" and make rules for them. The defaults for the firewall are also good, the wan will automatically be put in the dangerous zone and LAN in the safe zone. In the picture attached the low priority are defaults; I leave those (I'm only a home user you know) and the rules above are created by me.

[img]http://img84.eDead.cx/img84/7116/TF6a.gif[/img]

It gets a little more difficult from there and that's what Tiny's forum is good for. Some really knowledgeable people there.
Nov. 22, 2004, 10:21 PM

I copied an answer to no13 at the tiny forum; it just about sums it up.

"yes, you can create loopback rules with tiny. and what you posted what people say about the fw is a very short, precious description.

http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/ti...dows_Security_1
look here about the features tiny provide on top of the firewall section. this should sum up why it does beat outpost. tiny is an all-in-one package. you are not only protected from listening programs, or any connection in/outbound and thus crackers/hackers can enter your system (firewall) but virii/trojan/gator adware thingies/whatever cannot compromise your system with proper configured windows security.
the downside is you must invest a great deal of time to make the rules. it will cost lots of effort.
i would definetily buy tiny and begin creating firewall rules. thus learning how to make rules. become comfortable with the ui. then expand to the windows sec section. have no fear you cant destroy anything. just always make backups of working rulesets. just play with it. begin with ask user rules then change the ask user rules to deny rules. and so on. remember, you cant break anything. also, important, write down how to disable tiny in safe mode. you will need it more than once.

and as an additional warning: tiny forumgoers classify tf as highly addictive. be warned. *lol*

disclaimer: i dont work for tiny and i am not in the marketing department. "
Nov. 23, 2004, 10:29 AM

hmm...
so, is there any place where some tutorilas are available ?
It sounds too much like Proxo... "does everything"..."addictive".... so I guess I'd have to use two months sitting in front of the 'puter....
Not that I'm afraid of learning a new app, just that CCNA starts in June next year, and that means I have only two months after current exams to do anything worthwhile (and I thought I'd start ISO standard C++ and the STL was top on my list, alongwith cryptography exercises... Sad )

hmm...

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><i><span style='color:#0000FF'>Projekt</span> </span><span style='color:#FF0000'>D</span><span style='color:#008200'>F</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>S</span></i> : <b><span style='color:#0000FF'>projekt</span><span style='color:#FF0000'>d</span><span style='color:#008200'>f</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>s</span></b>[at]<span style='color:BLUE'>g</span><span style='color:RED'>m</span><span style='color:#ce9a31'>a</span><span style='color:BLUE'>i</span><span style='color:#008200'>l</span><span style='color:BLACK'>.</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>com </span><span style='color:BLACK'>: <u>What</u> is it?</span><br>It&#39;s ONLINE <span style='color:#FF0000'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>NOW</span></span>&#33;&#33;&#33;pm me for url. max 250 users. by invite only please.
Nov. 23, 2004, 10:35 AM

@besafe
A question...
my home setup is like this...

[PC]----LAN---->[router/ADSL modem]---->Internyet

I should place my LAN under dangerous (currently on Kerio, next up Tiny), yea?

Nov. 23, 2004, 08:27 PM

no13 Wrote:@besafe
A question...
my home setup is like this...

[PC]----LAN---->[router/ADSL modem]---->Internyet

I should place my LAN under dangerous (currently on Kerio, next up Tiny), yea?
That's up to you. If you want to prevent any sharing of files over the LAN then do so. If you want to share files , you can leave the LAN in the safe zone. You're going to be a CCNA so you know a lot more about LAN/WAN and network protocols than I do.
Nov. 24, 2004, 06:00 AM

see... there just me on my LAN, its only LAN port.
CCNA = next year... befoore that, i need a hell lotta help, ya know.