Can we grab the IP address current Port no.?
Oct. 04, 2004, 01:09 AM

Hi all,

Is there a way to grab the remote IP and Port no. of the current connection?

Thanks
Garcot
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 04, 2004, 08:23 AM

garcot
Quote:Is there a way to grab the remote IP and Port no. of the current connection?
We've also discussed this in the not-too-distant past, but a search fails to turn up any mention of it. Perhaps it was discombooberated when the board was first crashed by you-know-who. Oh well.

Others have the same wish for this data, but so far, no one's been able to make it happen yet. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Sad

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Oct. 04, 2004, 09:13 AM

Its cool oddysey! I am surprised, when a software like DNSkong can fetch the IP address, why not Proxomitron?

Where is the souce code available for proxo?

I mean, can't we not start from where Scott left over?

Thanks
Garcot
Oct. 04, 2004, 12:54 PM

Oddysey Wrote:Others have the same wish for this data, but so far, no one's been able to make it happen yet. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Sad

Oddysey
Not so, Odd...

I *do* have a header filter that posts the site's IP Address in the title bar...

HOWEVER, it utilizes a third-party app that uses a "Protocol Handler" method...

Basically, the first filter grabs the host name of the site you are visiting...
The second filter creates a .bat file that performs a traceroute on the host name...
The third filter uses the Protocol Handler to execute that .bat file (which exports its output to a .txt file)...
The fourth filter reads in the exported .txt file and filters it for the IP Address and adds it to the title bar...

It's not perfect, but it does get the job done...
One disadvantage is that a command prompt window is opened and closed everytime you visit a web page... But my computer is fast enough that is but a blip on the screen... I suspect I could add a "cache" to the filter set that will not perform the traceroute on a web site already visited and whose IP Address is in the "cache"...

The other disadvantage is that if some "script kiddie" knew that I was allowing (albeit ONLY when I hold the 'shift' key down) Proxo the ability to execute a Protocol Handler, s/he could easily code a website that executes the Protocol Handler as well, but instead of performing a traceroute, perform a "format c:\" or something equally offensive like planting a trojan or something... Can't say as I know if such a beast can be "scripted" or not, but do stand by the strong conviction that "Protocol Handling" is not something to be taken lightly...

And, admittedly, I'm not even sure if the Protocol Handler method even still works under WinXP SP2...

Point is, IP-grabbing "can" be done...
BUT I would recommend a 'toolbar' filter that performs a "Whois" on the host name before "opening up" your Proxo to yield control over to the OS...
Oct. 04, 2004, 01:00 PM

garcot Wrote:Its cool oddysey! I am surprised, when a software like DNSkong can fetch the IP address, why not Proxomitron?

Where is the souce code available for proxo?

I mean, can't we not start from where Scott left over?

Thanks
Garcot
If DNSKong has a log file, you can easily have Proxo sift through it and simply add the IP Address that DNSKong has in its log file to the title bar...
Oct. 04, 2004, 01:53 PM

ProxRocks,

Yes, DNSKong does grab the Ip address for every site it contacts and if the site is already visited, DNS cache in DnsKong helps the browser to lock faster to the particular website.

Can you help me with a filter to fetch the IP from DNSKong and display the same on the page I am visiting?

Thanks
Garcot
Oct. 04, 2004, 02:40 PM

Slight problem - in the SEVERAL times that I have given DNSKong a trial run, it has NEVER updated its log...

I can not for the life of me get DNSKong to work...

And no offense, but I simply fail to see the benefit of going through the HASSLE of getting it to work...

Sure, I'm probably missing something in the set-up of DNSKong...
But again, I fail to see the benefit of it...

Private-message me an attachment of your DNSKong log and I'll see what I can do...

I'll also need to know the folder that the log file sits in...

Or walk me through step-by-step how to get DNSKong to work - for in the DOZENS of times I have tried, it did NOT appear to be doing a D@MN thing...
Oct. 04, 2004, 04:01 PM

ProxRocks,

Thanks for your reply and time. The only good reason I use DNSKong is for its listening on just port 53. Activating the WinXP DNS client makes atleast 4 instances of svchost.exe listening on various ports ( from 1025-4000). I personally, don't believe, it has any business except communicating with the ISP's DNS Server.

I will send you in detail, the logs and the path/directory etc of DNSKong at your private id, sometime tomorrow as I live in India.

Thanks again,
Garcot
Oct. 04, 2004, 04:34 PM

You can just disable the WinXP DNS Client...
You don't "need" to REPLACE it with anything...

Local DNS resolution is "nothing spectacular"...
You're doing locally what "already" needs to be done "down the chain" anyway...
And we're talking about something in the order of 15 to 25 milli-seconds...

Don't mean to sound like a "stick in the mud" (do sticks make noise? what if nobody is in the woods to hear it?), but "I just don't get" why so many people "rave" over DNSKong...

HOWEVER, having said that, as far as a Proxo filter placing the web sites IP Address in the title bar, I *do* see a benefit in DNSKong - if only I could get the *D@MN* thing to work in the F&(#ing first place... (please note the obvious IRRATATION with feable attempts in the past of trying out DNSKong - I have NEVER once "seen" it do a d@mned thing - and I am FAR from "computer illiterate"...)
Oct. 04, 2004, 07:29 PM

gdi!!! (that's "god d@mn it", in case you miss the reference...)

will somebody PLLEEEAASE *spell out* in 'Kong for dummies' wording how the F&(% to get DNSKong working...

how the H#LL a small proggy such as D*CK-Kong ever became so "popular" when it is SOOO F$(#ing IMPOSSIBLE to set up is and shall forever be "beyond me"...
Oct. 05, 2004, 05:12 AM

ProxRocks,

You've got the wrong monkey - you should be playing with DONKEY Kong instead! [lol] Big Teeth [lol] Seriously, I've never felt the need for the proggie, so I'm no help for you on this one - sorry 'bout that.

As for the round-a-bout way of getting the IP addy to the address bar, congratulations! Wink I suspected that a third party app would be needed, and I believe I stated so in that earlier thread, but by now, my memory is so far gone that I don't even care what day it is, let alone actually know! :o Suffice it to say that it does seem a shortcoming that Proxo doesn't have either the direct ability, or an indirect way (plug-in?) to get metadata like that. If garcot wants to know and display such juicy tidbits, then it's a sure bet that other Proxo users want to be able to do that too. Perhaps we should stick your solution into the upcoming FAQ database (coming RSN!!) as a tip.

Quote:....(do sticks make noise? what if nobody is in the woods to hear it?)...
Reminds me of that old joke: "If a man says something in the forest, and there's no wife around to hear it, is he still wrong?" Cry

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Oct. 05, 2004, 01:54 PM

Hi ProxRocks and others,

It is right, DNSKong doesn't do anything great. I have uninstalled this product and since I use Zonealarm Pro, there is a provision to enter Proxo as server application listening on port 8080.

I have disabled the WinXP DNS client and no DNSKong.....

But the downside is I have given server rights to Proxomitron but only in the trusted zone ( where I have included my ISP's DNS servers) and occationally, I am required to give server rights to the Browsers also in the Trusted zone. This is acceptable and fairly safe, as I have checked for any vulnerability at GRC.com.

I think, we can close this thread except for the fact that we wanted to collect the IP address through the Log files of DNSKong and use it for some purpose this thread actually was started.

Thanks all
Garcot