Spy Sweeper
Sep. 29, 2004, 09:11 PM

I recently tried a Spyware detector called Spy Sweeper. This application was recommended as doing a better job at detecting Spyware than Ad-Aware SE Pro. When I ran Spy Sweeper it identified Proxo as Spyware which kind of caught me by surprise.

http://www.webroot.com/products/spysweeper/

Anyone know whets up with that?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Sep. 29, 2004, 09:55 PM

I don't like Spy Sweeper very well. I don't think it does a very good job and has A LOT of false-positives. I use Ad-aware SE (free version) and Spybot.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Sep. 30, 2004, 12:00 AM

It gets a legitimate rating at this very informative site although I don't use it.
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
Sep. 30, 2004, 05:47 PM

I d/l'd and scanned...
It did NOT detect Proxo as spyware - what ARE you smoking?
Oct. 02, 2004, 10:31 AM

ProxRocks Wrote:It did NOT detect Proxo as spyware - what ARE you smoking?
1st point is that I do not smoke ... 2nd point I do not dabble in drugs of any kind ... 3rd point when I ran SS "it" for some reason disabled by proxy setting which I mistook as id'ing Proxo as SW. My mistake, however I am still wondering why my proxy settings were changed -- did not have the inclination to investigate as I am sticking with Ad-Aware SE Pro.

Anyway, thank you for your curt remarks -- and having run SS what do 'you' think of this application?
Oct. 02, 2004, 02:57 PM

Well, that is interesting - SS did not effect my proxy settings...

By chance, did SS find anything else?
And when SS cleaned that "something else" up, did the clean up process of that "something else" then effect you proxy settings?

SS seems okay, yes...

It doesn't hurt to have SEVERAL anti-spyware apps in your arsenal...
Currently, I use Ad-Aware SE Personal, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, and Spybot S&D...

All of which are free and none of which I rate higher than the other...
I keep all updated with the latest update...
I have seen times when Ad-Aware will find something that Spybot will not...
Or that SpywareBlaster will include something in its definitions that none of the other three will...
And then there are times when SpywareBlaster doen't include something that one of the other three has already included for a while...

The thought that any is a cut above the rest is merely a matter of personal opinion...

But back to Spy Sweeper...
There may be chances that it will detect something that Ad-Aware or Spybot did not...
But guess what - there are equal chances on Ad-Aware or Spybot detecting something that Spy Sweeper did not...

But having said all that, Spy Sweeper, in MY opinion, is *not* in the same "class" as Ad-Aware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, and SpywareGuard...

Why, you ask? Because Spy Sweeper is not free, the others are...
Therefore, I place Spy Sweeper in the same class as PestPatrol...

I have been using PestPatrol Corporate Edition for about two years now - in conjunction with the freebies mentioned above...

I'm a staunch advocate in the belief of "you get what you pay for"...
Which is why I will *never* use 'freebie' firewalls and anti-virus apps...

Therefore, the question to me becomes, "Which is better, Spy Sweeper or PestPatrol?"....
Hard to say, honestly, but my guess is you're just as well off with either one...
Oct. 03, 2004, 05:17 AM

mozerd;
by mozerd Wrote:.... straightlaced comeback to ProxRocks' attempt at humor
Easy there, young fella, just slow down a bit, if you please. ProxRocks was just making a jest, as noted by his capitalization of the word "are". It's mighty hard to display tonality and vocal inflection in the printed medium, but I saw it as, more or less, "just what have you been smoking lately?", or words to that effect. The emphasis could have been placed on almost any of those words, and the "poke in the ribs" would have been the same.

For sure, a smilie could have saved much grief. I'm certain that ProxRocks has made a note of it, for future reference purposes in nothing else. :o [lol]

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Oct. 03, 2004, 03:40 PM

I must have missed a post or something - I don't see any mozerd posting above that was quoted that contains the words 'straightlaced comeback'...

A "smilie", you say? What are those? My Proxo config blocks them out as a wasted use of bandwidth...

But all-in-all, it was not some attempt at humor, it was "sarcasm"...
But anyway...

And for the record - I don't smoke, be it legal subtance above the age of legal limitations, or be it illegal substance with the consent of a doctor... And I don't drink either - and I'm well above the age of restrictions upon that regardless of what country defines said limitation... And to go one further, I don't engage in sexual concourse out of wedlock... And I'm "thirty something"... But anyway - what was the question again?
Oct. 03, 2004, 06:56 PM

ProxRocks;
Quote:I must have missed a post or something ....
No, you didn't miss a post. I prefer to think of sarcasm as a form of humor. That's how I saw your first reply - a mere jape. I also chose to think that mozerd didn't stop to read between the lines, that he just took it literally, and responded as he felt appropriate. That's when I stepped in (butted in?) with my feeble attempt to parlay some peace in the land.

And since we're all about exposing ourselves over the innernet, I also have never smoked, drank, or done other nasty stuff to my body*. According to the cardiologist, that was what gave me a fighting chance back in 2001, when my heart went on strike. It was all due to bad diet. Since then, I've stopped eating crap, in addition to the above, so I guess you'd almost have to call me a "see no evil, speak no evil, have no fun" kinda guy. [lol] But since the next time I renew my driver's licence, I'll also have to sign up for Medicare, I guess I'm not doing too bad. For an old fart, that is! :P

Let the hilarity ensue! Cheers

Oddysey

* It was either too expensive, too foul tasting/smelling, or took too long to recover. But don't think I like being lily-white! <_< That was the only option left to me. Sad Wink

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!