DNSKong vs. eDexter
Aug. 17, 2004, 05:04 PM

Hey, any DNSKong or eDexter users out there?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Aug. 17, 2004, 07:58 PM

I use edexter. Basicly, it just replaces the things which your HOSTS list blocks with a graphic. Useless, really.

I'll try being nicer when you try being smarter.
Visit this user's website
Aug. 18, 2004, 12:22 AM

a_s_b;
Quote:I use edexter. Basicly, it just replaces the things which your HOSTS list blocks with a graphic. Useless, really.
Whoa, back up there, pardner. Useless? I don't quite think so.

In the most simple case, you at least get a visual indication that a request to some site was blocked. In the best of times, eDexter should also be telling you what it blocked.

Beside, if it's useless, then why is it running on your machine? :o <_< :P Big Teeth Cheers

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Aug. 18, 2004, 01:24 AM

Odd;

Quote:In the most simple case, you at least get a visual indication that a request to some site was blocked. In the best of times, eDexter should also be telling you what it blocked.

I can accept a "page cannot be displayed" message when something is blocked rather than a "cute" gorilla paw graphic, or my own "warning signs" graphics. Technically, eDexter isn't blocking anything -- my HOSTS file still is. As such, since I know what's on my HOSTS file, I know what has been blocked. If I'm _really_ curious/stumped, I can right click on the graphic and hit "properties"

Quote:Beside, if it's useless, then why is it running on your machine?

Because it's small and it came with the Supertrick XG pack. I figured that with over 240 gigs on two HDDs, and over a gig of ram on a 2.66 ghz P4, it doesn't hurt performance enough to warrant a mouse click to deselect it from installation.

On a side note, I've never used DNSKong. What is it, and what does it do?

I&#39;ll try being nicer when you try being smarter.
Aug. 18, 2004, 02:01 AM

a_s_b;
Quote:If I'm _really_ curious/stumped, I can right click on the graphic and hit "properties".
True enough, you've got me there. My best guess is that eDexter is really just a quick-and-dirty indicator. But I could be wrong about that, too. <_<

Quote:On a side note, I've never used DNSKong. What is it, and what does it do?
From the home page of DNSkong's author:
Quote:DNSKong helps you maintain your privacy on the Internet by preventing contact with undesirable sites. You control what sites your computer can visit by adding keywords to DNSKong's filters. With DNSKong on duty no application can connect to a domain name that matches your filter rules. For more information read Readme.dnsk.txt
Now you know as much as I do! Chances are good that someone else will pipe up soon enough, and we'll both learn something. No Expression

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Aug. 18, 2004, 03:45 AM

I fail to see how DNSKong has any advantage over the HOSTS file if you know how to use it. Perhaps it can take care of those "extra" resources one just has lying around, just as eDexter does.

I&#39;ll try being nicer when you try being smarter.
Aug. 18, 2004, 11:27 AM

Hi "Guyz",
I mentioned a few things about "DnsKong" in a post (it's the 11th reply on the page), "Here". I've tried the both proggies, DnsKong & eDexter, but I don't use either of them now. However, there are some Proxo filters that can check Your host file against the "Ad-List" that I like but I haven't used them in awhile either. If You would like to check them here is the code.
Quote:[Patterns]
Name = "Compare AdList and Hosts file (part 1)"
Active = FALSE
Bounds = "127.0.0.1[^\n]+\n"
Limit = 100
Match = "127.0.0.1 $LST(AdList)*"

Name = "Compare AdList and Hosts file (part 2)"
Active = FALSE
Limit = 256
Match = "\n"
Replace = "<BR>"

They are a part of "Paul's" Default.config, Click Here