IPV6 Native now - the end of Proxo?
Nov. 20, 2015, 01:25 AM
IPV6 Native now - the end of Proxo?
My ISP finally turned on IPv6 native late Monday night. So, I ran some IPv6 tests on it including Netalyzer (which is more than IPv6 test) and they all showed native IPv6 connectivity except for my browsers. I was puzzled. I had forgotten this thread http://www.prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1718 from 2011.

I have Windows 8.0 Pro and it was easier to do a direct connection on IE 10 to test if Proxo was the problem after I read the above thread and refreshed my memory about Proxo and IPv6. So, IE, according to the IPv6 test sites and Netalyzer, now prefers IPv6. My default browser is Pale Moon and I also use Fx 42 and Sea Monkey but I have Proxo filtering on them so I am confined to IPv4 only.

So, is this the end for Proxo (assuming I don't want to use just IPv4 as more and more sites go IPv6 only)? I feel sad.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 20, 2015, 05:45 AM
RE: IPV6 Native now - the end of Proxo?
(Nov. 20, 2015 01:25 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  So, is this the end for Proxo (assuming I don't want to use just IPv4 as more and more sites go IPv6 only)? I feel sad.

It depends. Would you be willing to add another proxy? ProxHTTPSProxyMII, Polipo, and others may provide IPv6.

Next up is HTTP/2... Wink
Nov. 21, 2015, 10:12 AM
I'm not eager to add another proxy. Years ago, I tried that and it slowed my browsing to a crawl. Polipo uses a web cache. I have the cache ...ALL FORMS OF CACHE disabled in all my browsers (except IE where I can't but put disk cache as low as possible) since I got broadband in 2001. Now I have 200/20 speed so there is no need for a web cache. Polipo does say it is fine with IPv6.

As for ProxHTTPSProxyMII, I read about 3 or 4 pages of the thread here on it awhile back and never got back here to read the remaining posts (interesting but slow reading). That looks great if you want Proxo to do HTTPS but I have never allowed it to do HTTPS and I'm not eager to start now. I am very opposed to all these sites saying they need to be HTTPS. So, I am of mixed feelings on this one. If most websites decide to go HTTPS ONLY then I would have to install this if I want to continue using Proxo but that is not the case yet. By the time that stupid point is reached my current computer will need replacing and I am not about to get a Windows 10 computer unless Microsoft does what it looks like they never will do....allow Windows 10 Pro users (as well as Enterprise users) to have full control of their computers i.e. no forced Windows updates.

My 8.0 Pro computer goes unsupported in January but I will not be upgrading to 8.1 Pro then to continue Microsoft patch support because Microsoft has been installing crap on all Windows 7 and 8.1 computers sneakily without permission from the users. They have left 8.0 alone probably because so few are still on it. Anyhow, my computer is 3 years old so I figure another 2 years (climate here is hard on computers) and then I will need a new one or I will need to just leave the internet. Probably IPv6 will not be that pervasive for another couple of years so I probably can just stay on IPv4 if I decide to do that. I'll try to find the time to read the rest of the ProxHTTPSProxyMII thread and maybe after reading all of the thread I'll decide to try it but wouldn't the IPv6 support be only on HTTPS pages? Almost all my browsing is on NON HTTPS.
Nov. 21, 2015, 09:11 PM
(Nov. 21, 2015 10:12 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  Polipo uses a web cache.

It is optional.

(Nov. 21, 2015 10:12 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  I'll try to find the time to read the rest of the ProxHTTPSProxyMII thread ... wouldn't the IPv6 support be only on HTTPS pages?

Hmmm. HTTP was added in Version 1.1, is present in Version 1.2, but missing in Version 1.3.1. 1.3.1 returns a "Bad Request" error for HTTP.

changelog.txt Wrote:ProxHTTPSProxyMII
=================

Version 1.3.1 (20151001)
--------------

* Certifications are now signed via SHA256 instead of SHA1

Version 1.3 (20150114)
--------------

+ Each request has a number ranged from 001 to 999 for reference. 000 is reserved for SSL requests not MITMed like those in [BLACKLIST] and [SSL Pass-Thru] sections.
+ Log window now displays the length of the bytes submitted in POST method

Version 1.2 (20141221)
--------------

+ Content is streamed to client, while not cached before sending
* Fix config auto reload
* Less exception traceback dumped
* Tagged header changed from "Tagged:Proxomitron FrontProxy/*" to "Tagged:ProxHTTPSProxyMII FrontProxy/*"

Version 1.1 (20141024)
--------------

+ Support URL bypass
+ Handle both HTTP and HTTPS
+ Auto reload config upon chagnes

Version 1.0 (20140729)
--------------

Initial release
Jan. 25, 2016, 05:04 AM
(Nov. 21, 2015 10:12 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  By the time that stupid point is reached my current computer will need replacing and I am not about to get a Windows 10 computer unless Microsoft does what it looks like they never will do....allow Windows 10 Pro users (as well as Enterprise users) to have full control of their computers i.e. no forced Windows updates.

WinXP (also 2003) remains the only still widely supported Microsoft OS that will grant you any reasonable degree of control.

You can even secure it by tweaking it into never establishing one unsolicited connection or opening any port that isn't going to be used.

If you basically do everything through third party software and leave the OS to handle solely the file system and the GUI (DHCP must still be done partially by hand for privacy's sake), you have a very solid, stable, responsive, secure and controllable system.

Vista, 7, 8, 10, all PRISM, all garbage.

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him" - John 3:36