proxo and newer windows
Sep. 13, 2016, 08:57 PM
proxo and newer windows
Will proxo work on windows 10 64bit? If not, what is suggested for those of us who want to keep using proxo and need a new pc.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Sep. 14, 2016, 12:02 AM
RE: proxo and newer windows
I use it on windows 10 64bit, home and pro.
Proxo lives in C:\Users\Public\Public Programs.
Sep. 14, 2016, 05:02 PM
Thanks JJoe. I'd be lost without it.
Sep. 21, 2016, 10:28 AM
i just recently upgraded to Win10 and Proxo works excellently...
lives in C:\My No-Install Programs\Proxomitron...
don't think Win10 really cares "where" you put it...

i think Microsoft "finally" got it right!
been running WinXP for years because Vista, 7, and 8 were TERRIBLE...

i do highly suggest NOT installing all of the d@mn "metro apps"...
they can be removed/uninstalled AFTER a Win10 installation, but it's tricky...

works best to remove them DURING a Win10 installation - https://sourceforge.net/projects/windows-10-lite/files/

i also recommend Winaero Tweaker - http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

DWS Lite seems to work really well also - https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Window...g/releases

Windows Privacy Tweaker is also a must-have - https://www.phrozensoft.com/2015/09/wind...-tweaker-4
Sep. 23, 2016, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: Sep. 23, 2016 01:44 PM by Mele20.)
I'm shocked. How could you possibly like Windows 10? Microsoft owns your computer if you have Windows 10. Plus, you realize it is impossible to get rid of all the Microsoft tracking? The ONLY version of Windows 10 that one who has any self respect in regards to privacy can even think of using is Long Term Enterprise version. Even the new Enterprise E3 and E5 versions that are now available to all users (not just corporations) are a sham as when you read the extremely lengthy tomes at Microsoft regarding on Enterprise E3 and E5 how to rid your computer of all the spying and tracking it becomes obvious that even with Enterprise version (has a monthly fee on it $7 currently) you are still totally OWNED by Microsoft. You, of all people, I would have thought would hate this and JJoe too.

I am well aware of all that you linked to. All that helps but it DOESN'T COME CLOSE TO RIDDING YOU OF ALL THE TRACKING BY MICROSOFT. Besides, with the exception of 10 Long Term Enterprise that none of us can get, Microsoft forces updates on you and you cannot decline..yeah, on Pro version you can delay, but there is a HUGE difference between delay and full control where you can pick and choose what IF ANY updates/patches you wish to install (like you could do on ALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF WINDOWS). Even Woody says move to Linux. Plus, Microsoft just defanged Group Policy in 10 Pro....what will they do next to gain absolute, full control of your computer?

I loved XP Pro and came to Windows 8 from it and it was HARD to gain full control over Windows 8 (and I still cannot uninstall all the crap metro apps even though Microsoft says I have after countless number of hours of extreme tediousness to do so...but Microsoft lies and so do authors that say you can...Microsoft just hides them and really buries them and then tells you they have been uninstalled...nope. The best you can do is break them so they cannot phone home but hidden deeply they still try so you have constant errors in Event Viewer. You want that on Win 10? Edge? Sergei says you can uninstall it. Nope. It will just be reinstalled in the Windows 10 update that you have NO control over except possible delay if using Windows 10 Pro. But even that tiny bit of control is going away unless you subscribe to monthly Enterprise E3 or 5 versions and even those will shock you when you read in Microsoft's own words about all the tracking and spying and how YOU can try to control it but it will be a FULL TIME JOB just to keep up with it all and all the new tracking coming from Microsoft in the future.

Everyone I know in IT and other experienced users all feel we must move to Linux. BTW, Windows 8.0 Pro is a million times better than Windows 10 because you can control it and have privacy on it...it is not easy but it can be done. It canNOT be done on Windows 10 unless you are a very lucky Long Term (10 year) Enterprise user. I am getting old and I don't want to have to learn Linux but I see no other choice especially since I come from a generation where I was raised to greatly value my privacy. I don't want to lose Proxo but it doesn't work right now 50% of the time so with no one writing current public configs for it, I think very sadly that it may be time to let it rest in peace.
Sep. 23, 2016, 05:13 PM
(Sep. 23, 2016 01:20 PM)Mele20 Wrote:  ... and JJoe too. ...

(Sep. 14, 2016 12:02 AM)JJoe Wrote:  I use it on windows 10 64bit, home and pro.

Careful with that brush. "I use it" is not praise. Wink

Otherwise, the situation is as always, work around and lobby.
Sep. 24, 2016, 02:11 PM
Mele20...

Dig deeper!
You *CAN* disable all of the tracking and you *CAN* disable the auto-updates...

Yes, it means that i'll run 6 *MONTHS* between "updates" because i will ***NOT*** be updating "every month" like PARANOID folks think they 'have to do' in order to "be safe"...
Sep. 24, 2016, 02:13 PM
ie, "fresh install" every six months **WITHOUT** the d@mn tracking sh#t (my install does NOT install Edge, Cortana, metro apps, and too many numerous "features" that are just CRAP)...
Sep. 24, 2016, 02:40 PM
ps - as far as "securing" my computer, i learned a very VERY **LONG** time ago to ***NOT*** use "Windows Update" !!!

while "most" people think that their computer is "safest" on the Wednesday following a Patch Tuesday or that the most "secure" way to maintain a computer is to 'allow' EVERYTHING to "auto-update", *I DO NOT SHARE THEIR BELIEF* Smile!
Sep. 28, 2016, 11:40 AM
"recant", of sorts...

while 90+ percent positive that i was able to thwart (&/or "break") all of Win10's telemetry crap, i have reverted back to my beloved WinXP Pro x64 for the home office...

the deal-breaker is that i use a file manager with a "preview" window and it would lock up on .flv and .mp4 files despite having up-to-date codecs...

i am still being forced by corporate policy to use Win10 at the office-office...
but i was able to demonstrate to the rest of the team on how much better/faster my install works over theirs...

now i'm updating all of their installs to match mine (and i'm not in the IT department) -
no metro apps of any kind
no Cortana
no Windows Defender
no Security Center
no "toast" notifications of any kind
no McAfee bloatware (company has been duped into this for years!)
no shadows/animations/visual effects
no "file indexing"
no software "compatibility" checks (we have CAD programs that grind the hard drive for 20 seconds just because Win10 runs these!)
end-of-day file syncs as opposed to at system-startup (was like pulling teeth, but finally convinced the team)
et cetera
Sep. 28, 2016, 11:50 AM
the most hilarious was the BOSS'S computer !!!...

he's running "Carbonite" for file backup/recovery...
he's ALSO running "Synology" for file backup/recovery...
in ADDITION, he also has "Dropbox" for file backup/recovery...

and he's too "hard set" in his ways to let go of them !!!...
but yet complains that his laptop takes OVER TWO MINUTES to boot up !!!
compared to twenty SECONDS for mine (the rest of the team were closer to forty to sixty seconds)...

had to show him how his Synology hasn't backed up any files in "over 100 days" - he was convinced it was doing daily backups...
actual file datestamp was over six months old, the GUI just said "over 100 days"...

had to show him how Dropbox is only backing up this ONE folder, most recent file was over a month old...

had to intentionally corrupt a file (after saving a good copy to a thumbdrive)...
asked him to retrieve the backup from Carbonite - HE COULDN'T...
"what good is Carbonite doing you if you cannot retrieve that file?"...

really was quite FUN !!!...
Dec. 09, 2016, 02:17 AM
Use windows 10/64 on my notebooks and pc's. Also use Linux, Ubuntu Mate lately. Have reluctantly retired Proxo a few years ago; it was one of my favorite apps. Tend to not worry about all the tracking/collecting going on now days. Do use different filters/ad blockers ect., turn off all I can; but am pretty laid back about it all. Things change and so do I, I guess.
Dec. 11, 2016, 02:11 AM
Mele20.
I had a nasty time with win10 installing driver updates on an nvidia card, that all the newer nvidia drivers caused SNAFU's with dual monitors. Using wushowhide multiple times did nothing but delay for a bit. Ended up getting a non nvidia card. I guess I've just accepted that if I use win10, there's a privacy problem. I do admit I like everything syncing, and Terabytes of cloud storage with my 365 subscription. :-)