Hex Patches 4U!
May. 10, 2014, 05:33 PM
RE: Hex Patches 4U!
(May. 10, 2014 03:12 PM)Stone-D Wrote:  I'll give that a go, thanks man.

To tell the truth, what pleases me more than knowing that you're benefiting from my patch is that you even still using Proxo. Smile!

You mean.... you mean, there's something else?

On second thought, don't bother. I've seen so many wanna-be's come around, and just keep on going, right out the door. Until I see something that everyone else here favors over Proxo, then I'm sticking to the tried-and-true. Big Teeth

Again, my hat's off to you.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
May. 10, 2014, 08:40 PM
i have often wondered just how many Proxo users ABANDONED Proxo all because of "cert check" CRAP, so hopefully they all RETURN now Thumbs Up
May. 11, 2014, 06:15 AM
Hear, hear!
May. 11, 2014, 07:27 AM
Original post updated with "Font Adjustments" and a changelog.
May. 17, 2014, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: May. 17, 2014 03:40 PM by Styx.)
For someone who knows nothing about coding and programming, the information are like double Dutch. What kind of steps do I need to follow? What are the files I need to edit / replace / remove? Thanks.

p.s. I am using Proxomitron 4.5 (2003-5-22) with sidki config. No other patches are used.
May. 18, 2014, 12:02 AM
(May. 17, 2014 03:35 PM)Styx Wrote:  What kind of steps do I need to follow? What are the files I need to edit / replace / remove?

Do you have a hex editor? The file you will be editing is proxomitron.exe.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to JJoe for this post:
Styx
May. 18, 2014, 04:33 AM (This post was last modified: May. 18, 2014 04:34 AM by Stone-D.)
Hex editing looks scary, but honestly it's not.

A quick googlyoogly shows numerous hex editing tutorials, but unfortunately most are gaming related or full-on cracking howtos. There are very few that talk about offsets, so I'll write a quick primer.

Think of exe files as just another document type: photos need a photo editor, text files need a text editor, word docs need Word or whatever, and exe files need a hex editor.

i.Hex seems to be a fairly decent and free hex editor, though I haven't tested it beyond a quick glance. A popular one is Hex Workshop, but that's not free.

Things you need to understand:
  1. 'Hex' means hexadecimal. That's base 16, instead of base 10 for decimal. The range is 0-F, instead of 0-10. The number 12 is 0C in hex. For clarity, hex numbers are usually prefixed with 0x: so, that would be 0x0C.
  2. There are two address 'styles': real offsets, and virtual offsets. Virtual offsets are long, and usually start with a '4', like 00409248. This is an address in virtual memory, which is how Windows works with gigabytes of RAM. Real offsets are relative to the start of the code in the binary. This is what we want, and is usually a short address like 00002348. Notice how the code sections of my patches use virtual offsets whereas the initial patch lines are using real offsets.

If you look near the top of my initial post, you'll see:

Quote:All are for Naoko 4.5j (June release). Yes, you can apply them to any such copy, whether or not they've had a GUI patch[1]. The first column is the offset, the second is the changed byte, and the third is the original byte:

ADDRESS: NEW OLD

This refers to:

REAL_OFFSET: NEW_VALUE ORIGINAL_VALUE

That's all you need to implement the changes. The mystery code (assembler) is there only for reference and proof.

Now... always work on a copy of the exe, not the original. When you're happy with the results, zip/archive the original and replace it with your edited copy. This is a good habit to get into and will save you many annoyances down the road.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Stone-D for this post:
Styx
May. 18, 2014, 07:40 PM
(May. 07, 2014 05:32 PM)Stone-D Wrote:  ADDRESS: NEW OLD

DEPRECATED: Bypass SSL Certificate Error
Note: With high load, using 1 as the return value can lead to a crashed SSL library. I'm experimenting with using 3 to reduce the likelihood. So far so good.
Code:
Part 1: "Should Proxo ask? NO."
0000F35D: 90 7F   jg short loc_40FF69
0000F35E: 90 0A

Part 2: "Always respond with this answer."
[b]0000F360: 01 03[/b]
1: Allow (Original Value)
2: Deny
3: Allow Session

I used the Hex plugin in Notepad++, but it was not as easy to read, so I went with HxD to edit the code this time around. Thanks.

In the 4.5j copy that I have, the original value for 0000F360 is 01 rather than 03. Based on your text description earlier to stop the crashes, should the information read as 03 01 instead of 01 03?

I also did not touch the Font Adjustment, assuming that leaving the content would be OK?
May. 18, 2014, 07:50 PM
Well spotted! Serves me right for posting just before sleeping. Smile!

Yes, all the patches are mix and match to suit your taste. Any with multiple patch points have 'Part 1' and 'Part 2' etc to show this. the font adjustments in particular I doubt many would have a use for, but it's there anyway just in case. I use it because I like having the log window open on my wide screen, but I keep an eye out for specific colors rather than the text itself so perfect legibility isn't paramount.
May. 28, 2014, 12:27 AM
The modifications works great. Proxo has not thrown out any errors on my Win7 for the entire week. I am a happy camper. Wonderful work again!
May. 28, 2014, 02:33 AM
That's great to hear, thanks for reporting back!
Jan. 28, 2015, 03:43 AM
Sorry because I never ever use Proxomitron patcher, how can I patch Proxomitron ? Will I need to use patcher like duP or Henrik patcher ?

Thank.
Jan. 28, 2015, 04:03 AM (This post was last modified: Jan. 28, 2015 05:01 AM by JJoe.)
(Jan. 28, 2015 03:43 AM)GunGunGun Wrote:  how can I patch Proxomitron ? Will I need to use patcher like duP or Henrik patcher ?

First, a hex and or resource editor is used to modify the program.
duP or PatchMaker or ? then creates an exe that 'patches' the original program.
Henk used PatchMaker to create his first ProxoPatcher.

I considered creating an exe that would allow users to selectively apply the mods in this thread. Unfortunately, antivirus programs would have flagged it as malware.

Which mods are you interested in?
Jan. 28, 2015, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: Jan. 28, 2015 11:49 AM by ProxRocks.)
(Jan. 28, 2015 04:03 AM)JJoe Wrote:  Unfortunately, antivirus programs would have flagged it as malware.

<rant>

that's a long-standing "debate" in our household - whether antivirus programs are even "worth" using up precious 'resources'

i do *NOT* run antivirus programs and i haven't been "hit" with a virus in over twenty YEARS because i "practice safe hex" instead

gotta love when the relatives ask "how do you get that old machine to run so FAST, mine is a decade NEWER and is nowhere near that FAST?"

"easy, you're running <insert name here>, you have a multi-core processor but your bottleneck is a single-thread-processing antivirus program that all of your 'reads' need to pass through like a funnel"

and the irony is, i'm the one called in to FIX their computers, the ones that run antivirus programs, when they get HIT with a "zero-day" virus that their d@mn antivirus program did NOTHING to prevent

</end rant>
Jan. 28, 2015, 05:49 PM
JJoe Wrote:I considered creating an exe that would allow users to selectively apply the mods in this thread. Unfortunately, antivirus programs would have flagged it as malware.
If I recall, most AVs can't scan inside of a passworded zip or self decrypting archives that use a password. It would be possible to use one of those and post the password and an explanation on the same page as the file. That aside, I wonder how many Proxomitron users actually run an AV. I gave up on them over 10 years ago.