Is there a tutorial on troubleshooting non-functioning sites?
May. 28, 2013, 09:18 PM
Is there a tutorial on troubleshooting non-functioning sites?
I'm using the Sidki RC rule set, set to standard. I have a myriad of non-functioning sites or features. Rather than coming here to have a 3rd party troubleshoot my every problem, is there a method whereby I might fix the issues myself? I've tried adding said sites to my bypass list, but more often than not, it either doesn't work, or allows too much junk pass through. For example, I can't get liquidcompass based radio stations to play. I can't get pictures to show up on theblaze.com. Specifically, news story thumbnails.

Most of these problems are avoided my using light or minimal modes, but I also like the standard profile's ability to bypass redirect such as linkbucks. I found that I could retain functionality of most every troublesome web site by unticking "block/modify select js properties," and "" "" methods." I'm sure this opens me up to vulnerabilities though. I'm using Dragon, if that helps.

Also, what is it about the standard profile that prevents a site from opening new tabs, instead using the same window. Is there something I can do to defeat this behavior?

Thank you very much,

Cary
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
May. 30, 2013, 03:23 AM
RE: Is there a tutorial on troubleshooting non-functioning sites?
(May. 28, 2013 09:18 PM)Belarathon Wrote:  Is there a tutorial on troubleshooting non-functioning sites?

I am aware that tutorials have been created but I don't know where they are or how worthy.

I know this config will break things. In some cases, it's supposed to break things rather than allow unwanted behavior.

liquidcompass, something like

Code:
player.liquidcompass.net/  $SET(0=i_level:2.0.a_flash.a_adfn1.)
maps.gstatic.com/ &$OHDR(referer: player.liquidcompass.net/)  $SET(0=a_web.)
maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js &$OHDR(referer: player.liquidcompass.net/) $SET(0=a_web.)

allows http://player.liquidcompass.net/XHDKFM to play . The access to google appeared to be required, which might be enough to cause me to use another player.

theblaze.com, thanks, I would never have went there without your post. theblaze front page is broken more often than the other sites I've seen this at.
It is a big page and they are trying to load it as needed. We are injecting scripts and all are not always playing nice, I think.

Works for me after

Code:
www.theblaze.com/(^?) $SET(0=a_noprint.i_popup_b:2.i_button_b:0.i_timer:0.a_target.)

I guessed script problem, saw that it worked light mode, and then added keywords to disable modifications enabled by using other levels.

If you think you are seeing this often you could try adding something like

Code:
$SET(keyword=$GET(keyword)a_noprint.i_popup_b:2.i_button_b:0.i_timer:0.a_target.)
    $LOG(VGET $DTM(c) : Silent Keywords:a_noprint.i_popup_b:2.i_button_b:0.i_timer:0.a_target.)(^)
~$SET(keyword=$GET(keyword)a_noprint.i_popup_b:2.i_button_b:0.i_timer:0.a_target.)
    $LOG(VGET $DTM(c) : Silent Keywords:a_noprint.i_popup_b:2.i_button_b:0.i_timer:0.a_target.)(^)

which should always add the keywords a_noprint.i_popup_b:2.i_button_b:0.i_timer:0.a_target.

A filter is probably better though

Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "Add a_noprint.i_popup_b:2.i_button_b:0.i_timer:0.a_target. (fail) [add]"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TST(hCT=*html)$SET(1=a_noprint.i_popup_b:2.i_button_b:0.i_timer:0.a_target.)$SET(keyword=$GET(keyword)\1)$LOG(VGET $DTM(c) : Silent Keywords: \1)$LOG(VGET $DTM(c) : All Keywords: $GET(keyword))PrxFail$TST()"
Limit = 1
Match = "$STOP()"

Better yet would be to 'fix' our scripts. Wink

(May. 28, 2013 09:18 PM)Belarathon Wrote:  by unticking "block/modify select js properties," and "" "" methods."

Careful. In "Block/Modify: Sel. JS Methods 10.09.07 [sd] (d.r)" the 'r' means required.

(May. 28, 2013 09:18 PM)Belarathon Wrote:  Also, what is it about the standard profile that prevents a site from opening new tabs, instead using the same window.

I'm not sure I understand. Perhaps "<a>...: Replace blank/new 10.10.16 (multi) [pr sd] (d.1 l.3)" which can be disabled.

HTH
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to JJoe for this post:
Belarathon
May. 30, 2013, 07:03 AM
some years ago I used Sidkis config for a while. changed to another config 'cause of the large amount of problems.
I think only very few users report problems, mostly will stop using this config or set it to bypass. bypass is a no-go for me. and it's not fluffy if you have to care about Proxomitron while surfing the web.

if a config is flawed it needs to be fixed. the only person I see who tries to do something with Sidkis config is JJoe. but it's mostly (always?) only fixing the symptoms/adding more and more exceptions/entries. so my question is: why not fixing the causes/filter?
May. 30, 2013, 11:42 AM
more often than not, it's actually not a problem with the original filter...

but simply more "cleverly" written CRAP by web writers to INTENTIONALLY get their CRAP past not only Proxomitron but a slew of ad-blockers and parental-lock software out there...

Proxomitron was NEVER intended to be a "never needs fixing" program...
the config used MUST *evolve* as the internet evolves...

you can not load up a config from ten years ago and expect it to work as it was intended to ten years ago...
May. 30, 2013, 05:12 PM
(May. 30, 2013 07:03 AM)neverwasinparis Wrote:  but it's mostly (always?) only fixing the symptoms/adding more and more exceptions/entries. so my question is: why not fixing the causes/filter?

I hope! Filtering (HOSTS, adblock, pac files, Greasemonkey, Proxomitron, etc.) has to work this way. What do HOSTS file users do when the blocked servers that were only supplying little 1x1 web bugs start suppling required files... do without, surrender, or maybe work around. Filterers do get to choose, however.

By default, the sidki set tries to do many things (remove ads, protect privacy, prevent certain behaviors, etc) while allowing some quick work arounds. Users can set it to do more or less. All this provides the ability to cause problems while trying to correct problems.
Jun. 10, 2013, 04:32 PM
(May. 30, 2013 11:42 AM)ProxRocks Wrote:  more often than not, it's actually not a problem with the original filter...

but simply more "cleverly" written CRAP by web writers to INTENTIONALLY get their CRAP past not only Proxomitron but a slew of ad-blockers and parental-lock software out there...

Yes indeed, and I've looked at the source from theBlaze.com, and it's a sewer of trackers, scripts and crap.
Jun. 10, 2013, 11:49 PM
(Jun. 10, 2013 04:32 PM)Belarathon Wrote:  Yes indeed, and I've looked at the source from theBlaze.com, and it's a sewer of trackers, scripts and crap.

the more web sites that i dive into the source code of honestly leads me to very much so believe that "in the future", we "Proxo-types" will all be surfing web sites in the Matrix...

the only way to block all of the CRAP is to block scripts entirely, no "real" way to block 'trackers' outside of viewing web pages without any images, and so forth down the line... before you know it, the only true "safe" way to browse the internet will be with green scrolling text atop a black background...

so then, did you take the blue pill? or the red pill?
Jun. 11, 2013, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: Jun. 11, 2013 01:56 PM by Belarathon.)
(Jun. 10, 2013 11:49 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  so then, did you take the blue pill? or the red pill?

I took the green pill. Since the whole NSA debacle, I've bought a VPN service that (supposedly) keeps no logs whatsoever. I've put aside Proxo for the moment and am using SRware Iron with "ScriptSafe." It operates much like Firefox's NoScript. After awhile, it's not hard to figure out which domains the actual content comes from and from where the crap emanates...and the plugin is "smart" enough in most cases to have figured that out already. There's very few ads left over once you've weeded out the nastiness. And on sites I frequent daily, I just element block anything I don't want to see. What else can one do? I don't have the patience for Tor. And yet, I have no delusion of safety.
Nov. 09, 2013, 02:44 AM
I agree on strategy:
1. don't visit sites made useless by javascript.
2. noscript or the equivalent in other browsers. Allow bookmarklets.

If choose to handle js problems, then:
3. look at source or toggle css off to see content hidden by script.
4. for other persons at my location, I bypass with somewhat precisely expression(s). Sometimes I try tracing the desired content. Since I don't really know this "internet stuff", the hunt takes time. Sometimes the actual content loads through a secondary file. So secondary url in the original page loads another url. I wonder if html5 will reduce the chain of loading?

5. I want to return to Web 0.9.9.9.9
Nov. 09, 2013, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: Nov. 09, 2013 03:01 AM by sbk.)
Sad RE: Is there a tutorial on troubleshooting non-functioning sites?
(Jun. 10, 2013 11:49 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  so then, did you take the blue pill? or the red pill?
I'm trying the less opaque 'pill'.

(Jun. 11, 2013 01:12 PM)Belarathon Wrote:  I took the green pill. Since the whole NSA debacle,
The NSA is a drop in the bucket compared to the mouse movement trackers, facebook bugging many pages, etc.
Quote:I've bought a VPN service that (supposedly) keeps no logs whatsoever.
But really, they send the logs to Mark Zuckerberg
Quote:I've put aside Proxo for the moment and am using SRware Iron with "ScriptSafe." It operates much like Firefox's NoScript. After awhile, it's not hard to figure out which domains the actual content comes from and from where the crap emanates...and the plugin is "smart" enough in most cases to have figured that out already. There's very few ads left over once you've weeded out the nastiness. And on sites I frequent daily, I just element block anything I don't want to see.
For other people, Proxo is too much to maintain. On a few sites, I use adblocker plus element hiding helper to prevent other people from clicking the tempting tracking ads. If the ads aren't hidden, HOSTS blocks the trackers, and I get howls of complaint.
Usually when I bypass the defenses to visit something that's blocked, it's garbage that should be blocked. Alternatively, read the ad's title, then go to the implied destination by using a search engine (if searching is necessary).

Quote: What else can one do? I don't have the patience for Tor. And yet, I have no delusion of safety.
I think that for straight security problems (malware), ScriptSafe or Noscript will block much.
Tor is for 'near anonymity'. Tor's slow loading doesn't bother me much, though I use Tor infrequently. I don't like burdening the nodes with my unimportant 'surfing'.