newbie with a couple of questions
Jul. 30, 2012, 12:10 AM
newbie with a couple of questions
Hello,

A friend told me about Proxomitron because I'm concern about online security and especially privacy. I have been visiting this site off and on for a bit, trying to figure out what the software actually does. As far as I can tell, it gives the user control over how html pages are served up, similar to some of the extensions for Firefox.

So I'm wondering, does Proxomitron replace Firefox extensions or can they work in conjunction with each other? If the latter, which one has precedence? I just installed Proxomitron tonight and it doesn't appear to conflict with FF extensions (mainly use AdBlock [plus & video], Ghostery & NoScript) as far as I can tell anyway. Are there any potential conflicts I should be aware of, if I used both?

The last thing I was wondering about is the Web Page Filters. Some of the filters are self-explanatory by their title, while a few others like - "link de-obfuscator, onload unloader" are not. Is there a reference page somewhere that explain what these filters do or show examples, that I could look at?

There is so much to learn about this software (it's almost intimidating) and there really isn't a clear path to go by. If anyone can offer suggestions in how they learned, it would be most welcomed. Thanks.

BTW... really had trouble registering. A week or so ago, the server first gave me a 403 forbidden error message by Light something. I did try to send an email to [email protected] but it came back as undeliverable. Then tonight when I tried to use a normal name the server banded me as a known spam bot LOL. But in the end, persistence prevailed.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 30, 2012, 02:05 AM
RE: newbie with a couple of questions
everyone's "opinion" will vary, but ultimately, Proxo will prove itself to be THEEE most IMPORTANT web browsing 'add on' you will EVER run across !!!...

a maintained configuration will run on ALL of your web browsers...
and in the end will reveal how much of a WASTE OF TIME it is to keep up with "Firefox extensions"...
Jul. 31, 2012, 03:04 PM
(Jul. 30, 2012 02:05 AM)ProxRocks Wrote:  Proxo will prove itself to be THEEE most IMPORTANT web browsing 'add on' ...

I'm guessing the other two are a good firewall and av? Smile!

(Jul. 30, 2012 02:05 AM)ProxRocks Wrote:  a maintained configuration will run on ALL of your web browsers...
and in the end will reveal how much of a WASTE OF TIME it is to keep up with "Firefox extensions"...

Replace FF extensions? I like my extensions! LOL. If it turns out to be all THAT, then I might be willing to let them go. Big Teeth

I take it there's no reference list, huh? Then how do you figure out what each one does? I hope I don't have to uncheck all of them and go through one-by-one. Pray (shoot me now)

Can you use Proxomitron to bring something back that is currently missing? When I visit foxnews.com, under "Features and Faces" there's no images for the video, but it does show up in IE. I tried disabling all my ext. but it still didn't work. Can a filter fix this?
Aug. 01, 2012, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: Aug. 01, 2012 06:51 AM by JJoe.)
The Proxomitron is a filtering local proxy. It can intercept and modify some of the code that browsers use to render web pages.

This is done "on the fly". Some of the page's code is caught, filtered, released to the browser, more is caught, filtered, etc. The Proxomitron does not catch all the data, render the page, change it, and then release it.

Quote:Some of the filters are self-explanatory by their title, while a few others like - "link de-obfuscator, onload unloader" are not.

Are you sure? Wink
Some sites may hide or "obfuscate" a link's purpose. "link de-obfuscator" tries to stop this.
"onload unloader" attempts to disable the onload command in a page's Body tag, <body onload="load(SomethingBad)">.

And thus the true rub, knowledge of HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Headers...

However,

Quote:I'm concern about online security and especially privacy.

, you'll want to learn some HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Headers... anyway and the Proxomitron can help with that.

Quote:If anyone can offer suggestions in how they learned, it would be most welcomed.

I had a printed copy of some Proxomitron help files. Carried it with me and read it over and over. When really stuck, Scott R Lemmon would answer mail. Eventually http://www.proxomitron.info/45/help/Contacts.html and more.

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Headers... are more complicated now but curiosity, study, and the Proxomitron. The Proxomitron can allow me to see what happens if.

Quote:When I visit foxnews.com, under "Features and Faces" there's no images for the video,

Works for me after adding

Code:
ads.foxnews.com/
www.foxnews.com/static/all/html/ad-ifr.html
global.fncstatic.com/static/v/all/js/ag.jquery.js

to the "Bypass List.txt"

AND

Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "Test"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)"
Bounds = "<script*</script>"
Limit = 256
Match = "*src="http://ads.foxnews.com/js/ad.js$STOP()&\1"
Replace = "\1"

to the top of web page filters.

Those images appear to require scripts from
ads.foxnews.com/
www.foxnews.com/static/all/html/ad-ifr.html
global.fncstatic.com/static/v/all/js/ag.jquery.js

The first two are blocked by the URL-Killer header filter and the web page filters. After all the addresses use the string "ad".
The last is broken by the web page filters.
The filter and list entries protect the files from being filtered.

http://www.proxomitron.info/45/help/Contents.html
http://prxbx.com/oldforums/index.php
http://www.gecco.dk/oldforum/index.php

HTH
Have fun