Can't access FTP server using Proxo and SeaMonkey 2.10.1
Jun. 19, 2012, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: Jun. 19, 2012 11:33 PM by JJoe.)
Can't access FTP server using Proxo and SeaMonkey 2.10.1
I've been doing this simple FTP speed test since 2001. It is my favorite because it is on a fast server, not negated by my ISP's use of PowerBoost, whereas, all other speed tests (except for the FCC's SamKnows test which can filter out PowerBoost) return wildly inaccurate results because of PowerBoost and the tests finishing before the PowerBoost effect wears off.

Anyhow, latest SeaMonkey browser gets a "403 forbidden" error when I try to go to http://ftp.ftp1.optonline.net/test64 . I can do this test with no problem on SeaMonkey 2.6 (which I have on my host computer). I also have no problems doing the test on Fx 4.01, Fx 10 Enterprise, IE 8, and Opera 12.0 (all on two computers using XP Pro SP 2). I use the latest Sidki 2011/12 config.

Bypassing Proxo makes no difference. I still get the "403 forbidden" error. The only way I can do the test on the current SeaMonkey is by going to Preferences and changing my internet connection to a direct one. The error message then goes away and I have no problems doing the test. It is not just this test either that gets the error when Proxo is filtering or even on bypass. If I try to look at the contents of the optonline ftp folder, I get the forbidden error but only on the current SeaMonkey.

I can use one of my browsers that doesn't have this problem when I want to do a speed test but I have a strong feeling that Fx 13 may also get the forbidden error if Proxo is in the picture as there is so much shared code now between the two browsers beginning with the current versions.

Anyone here with Fx13 who can see if it has this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it in SM?

Edit by JJoe: Fixed link by adding space
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jun. 19, 2012, 11:31 PM
RE: Can't access FTP server using Proxo and SeaMonkey 2.10.1
(Jun. 19, 2012 08:40 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  I've been doing this simple FTP speed test since 2001.

All my browsers (includes Fx13) return "403 forbidden" for http://ftp.ftp1.optonline.net/test64 while using the Proxomitron for ftp.

Are you sure you have been doing it through the Proxomitron?

Scott R. Lemmon Wrote:Proxomitron doesn't do FTP at all - it's a HTTP proxy. It can work if
you're going through an additional proxy with FTP support (since
that's what will do the actual FTP), otherwise you should configure
your browser to use Proxomitron only for the "HTTP" and possibly
"Secure" protocols. Also, if using IE make sure that "use same proxy
for all protocols" checkbox isn't checked.

-Scott-

HTH
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to JJoe for this post:
Mele20
Jun. 22, 2012, 09:04 AM
RE: Can't access FTP server using Proxo and SeaMonkey 2.10.1
That was it! SM was set under "Advanced Proxy Preference" (which is reached via an obscure small button on the main proxy setup window) to use Proxo for ALL types of protocols. There is a little box that was checked and is not checked in SM 2.6. I don't recall ever clicking on that button on earlier versions of SM. I wonder if in this latest version it somehow got checked by default "Use HTTP Proxy Settings for All Protocols". Under that SSL and FTP had the fields automatically filled in with Proxo information. I never looked at that so I think it had to have been set by default but only in this latest version of SM which has major changes to it much like Fx 13 (which I don't have)...I hope I remember whenever I upgrade Fx beyond 10 Enterprise that I better look carefully at the proxy settings but then in Fx all the settings are on the one window so it would be hard to not see any default settings that had not been default in earlier versions of Fx.

(Of course, you are right that Proxo doesn't do FTP anyway....I forget so much these days...hate getting older).