An inconsequential mouse-clicksaver.....
Aug. 03, 2004, 07:33 PM

Boys and Girls;

Somewhat over a month ago, mozerd asked me to post some of my personal filters, and I agreed. This is my first installment in what might turn out to be a series of "Naked Filter Stories From The Cruel City", or some such drivel. Let's pick up the action, already in progress......

~~~~~~~~~~~
As most of you know by now, I am a lazy old fart. I don't like to do repetitive things that should happen automatically. Hence, I built a filter to automatically open the extra smilies window on this forum whenever I click on Add Reply.

In short, I make the extra smilies window open by attaching the '0nclick' event handler to the Add Reply button (in the image tag itself). This attached event handler executes a function that already exists in the source code, thanks to the forum's software. (It's named emo_p0p[].) Here's a list to show you the order of what's happening:

> the linked image is clicked;
> that image's '0nclick' event handler fires off, executing the named function;
> the link itself is executed.

So, how can I make use of this? Easy. Just write a Proxo filter to add the appropriate command to the proper page(s). Here's the code in question, then more explanations:

<span style='color:red'>**ADMIN Edit: Attached filter; was causing a conflict with existing forum software code.**</span>

Note that I'm only looking to do this on the UOPF; that there is no need for boundries; and that the byte limit is purely the default value. What I am matching on is the string ' a1t='Reply to this topic', found only in the Add Reply button (there are two of 'em on the page). My Replace string is simply the same thing, with text added to assign an event handler to the image, and designate the aforementioned function for that event.

Simple, no? The smilies don't load until you actually click Add Reply, and clicking it more than once won't load more instances - once loaded, that's the only instance.

One small drawback, at least it might be for some folks. When the filter is first invoked, the smilies window will keep the focus. The main window will display the Reply form like it should, but it doesn't regain focus. However, in succeeding invocations, the main window does retain focus. I tried things like b1ur[], and f0cus[] with the proper window names, but I couldn't get the focus to go back to the main window, so I said to hell with it. I only have to deal with it once, and then I'm done for the rest of the current surfing session. (Providing I don't accidentally close the smilies window in mid-session. Banging Head)

Does this count for anything? Cheers

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Aug. 03, 2004, 08:53 PM

Oddysey! You gave Shea and me quite a heart attack!

Your post contained some codes that conflicted with the forum software code, and I thought that a hacker was playing around with us.
Visit this user's website
Aug. 03, 2004, 08:55 PM

This might be something to bring to the attention of Invision Power Services. It seems like a sort of 'exploit' even though it doesnt appear to be dangerous.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Aug. 05, 2004, 02:28 AM

Kye-U;

So, what would have happened if the filter had been put into a "code" snippet instead? I thought of that, but I don't like the font formatting, so I skipped it. Ditto the "quote" mechanism - it's just a bit smaller, and that detracts from what I was trying to illustrate, IMHO.

But of course, whatever you need to do, I can't say much of anything, can I? Big Teeth

But it did look good and behave well for me, when I viewed the thread after posting it. Wonder what the problem is.

<span style='color:red'>EDIT</span> I've just gone back and carefully re-read the entire post. I note that you were forced to use the "a - one - t" construct to keep the sentence intact, yet avoid the forum code hangup. Any chance of doing that with the whole filter code sequence? A quick and simple warning to the nice folks out there should alert them to change the characters in question, if they copy the filter into their config files. Or so I should think, anyway.

Just looking to make things easier, that's all.
[/edit]

Oddysey

Aug. 05, 2004, 02:47 AM

Actually Oddysey, I noticed that it was screwing the display of the forum up first and was talking to Kye-U on MSN at the time and told him. We first though it was a hacker, but his server logs showed no activities. Then we were trying to figure out what was causing it to screw up. We tried changing the color of your sig, puting the javascript events in 1337 :P (onclick becomes 0nclick), and putting your filter in the code and quote tags. None of them seemed to work. The I had the ides to just remove the filter and leave all the rest intact and see if it was still screwed up. It was still like that so we decided to attach the filter and put the javascript events in 1337 speak.

A lot of trouble over some javascript commands. Just don't ever do it again! JK Wink

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Aug. 05, 2004, 03:01 AM

I'm fluent in 1337 Eyes Closed Smile

I didn't modify your filter at all. Everything in there is your intended version Wink
Aug. 05, 2004, 06:17 AM

Kye-U;
Quote:I didn't modify your filter at all. Everything in there is your intended version Wink
I didn't mean to imply that you actually changed the filter, nor its intent. Only that once I saw the necessity of using the so-called "133t" written language, I merely wondered out loud if that could have also been applied to the filter listing, instead of making an attachment out of it.

Tha's all.

Oddysey

Aug. 05, 2004, 06:23 AM

Oddysey Wrote:I merely wondered out loud if that could have also been applied to the filter listing, instead of making an attachment out of it.
Oh I see [lol]

Nah, not all members would know to remove what. It's easier this way anyways Pervert
Aug. 06, 2004, 11:58 AM

Oddysey Wrote:Somewhat over a month ago, mozerd asked me to post some of my personal filters, and I agreed.

As most of you know by now, I am a lazy old fart.
Does this count for anything? Cheers
Greetings you lazy old fart Smile! -- I do not ever recall asking you to post some of your personal filters -- however, since I do like the way that you persisted through that JavaScript stuff you helped me with -- and you did a GREAT [if not fantastic] job there -- I'll allow you the liberty of making that presumptuous claim. Big Teeth

OK, having got that out of the way -- please explain in simple terms what the heck does this filter you posted do?

BTW, Kye-U security merge filter --- works unbelievably well for me. Kye-U thank you very much.
Aug. 08, 2004, 04:52 PM

mozerd;
Quote:I do not ever recall asking you to post some of your personal filters -- however, since I do like the way that you persisted through that JavaScript stuff you helped me with....
It was during the time we were solving that riddle. I had said something to the effect that I only use the default config, and a dozen or so filters of my own design. You had asked me to post some of them.

I went searching for that thread, and it isn't here. We must have solved that problem back before this particular edition of the UOPF was started (in March '04).

Quote:.... please explain in simple terms what the heck does this filter you posted do?
Easy - it automatically opens the secondary smilies window. In essence, it clicks the More link for you. It's my contention that since I open that window anyway, every time I post a reply, then why not automate the process? [lazy = -_-]

That's all.

Oddysey

Aug. 08, 2004, 11:39 PM

Boy is your memory bad .It was me you old fart who asked you that question . Kewl filter ; saves one click , I just love it ! Now for some global ones . Have you seen Sidke's Google cosmetic filter . Now that's nice .
Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "Google White on Black"
Active = TRUE
URL = "(www.|)google."
Bounds = "<style*</style >"
Limit = 1024
Match = "$STOP()(\#("
"(body*\{)\#$SET(#=background-color:#000000 !important;)"
"(*\n)\#$SET(#=font {color:#ffffff !important;}\r\n)"
"|#[a-f0-9]+{3,6}$SET(#=#ffffff !important)(;| \})\#"
"))+\#"
Replace = "\@"
Aug. 09, 2004, 04:56 PM

Ralph;

(I thought I added this reply last night. Maybe I'm going bonkers, eh? Anyway.....)

Right you are, yes indeedy. It was May 24th, to be exact. Sigh. Aren't archives wunnerful, they keep you on your toes. But at my age, the balancing act is starting to wear on my nerves. [lol]

~~~~~~~
mozerd;

You are hereby exonerated from the miserable cloud I hung over you. Ralph has to take the blame for my mess above. Lucky you. Big Teeth

~~~~~~~
And for the rest of you, let this be a lesson to all of you: When I say Microphone I'm getting old and forgetful, I mean it! :P

Sorry for the confusion, everyone.

Oddysey