Google ads why?
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:49 AM
RE: Google ads why?
(Mar. 14, 2012 01:03 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  What do you mean by "telephone display" search?

you have been using Scroogle too long and you really have not been "keeping up"... the Proxo community has been using "sprawled results" for YEARS...

a "telephone display" is in reference to people that do their internet surfing on a TELEPHONE [a CELL phone] (a "smart phone", for example)...

these have "displays" that are literally TWO INCHES wide...
whereas a COMPUTER display has widescreen monitors RARELY less than TWELVE INCHES wide...

so yeah, on a TELEPHONE, you'd "want" search results to NOT be on ONE line...

the bottom line is that "sprawling" results are by design, you just haven't been "keeping up" and are in the 'minority' as MOST within the Proxo Community WANT the "sprawling" results - ie, STOP YELLING AT US Smile!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 14, 2012, 02:05 PM
(Mar. 14, 2012 04:54 AM)JJoe Wrote:  I don't think this set has changed that much.

You may have added some filters and keywords to your old set. If so, you may wish to add them to this set.

Like, http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1702

HTH
Mar. 14, 2012, 02:19 PM
(Mar. 14, 2012 10:49 AM)ProxRocks Wrote:  the bottom line is that "sprawling" results are by design,

I don't think it is an unreasonable request, however.
Long lines make reading difficult for some.
Mar. 14, 2012, 09:23 PM
i'll give you that - just don't maximize your web browser Big Teeth
Mar. 15, 2012, 08:25 AM
I use this UserScript to have two columns for Google results. No wasted space, but more readable than full width text. Has hotkeys to flip between 1,2 and 3 columns, plus optional auto-flip dependant on window size. It works with any number of results per page, but since 10-per-page usually fits a single window, and hitting space loads the next 10, and so on, I use that arrangement.

Maybe someone clever could convert it into a Proxo filter?

[Image: jFCXgrd7EKJQn.png]
Mar. 15, 2012, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: Mar. 15, 2012 09:34 AM by defconnect.)
Guys, before you put a lot of efforts into tuning existing filters or making new ones; Google has announced to (again) making substantial changes to their presented search results:
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10...DQyWj.html
Come to think of it, perhaps this should have been posted to Google Updates...-thread http://www.prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1853
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:35 AM
substantial changes?

interesting, had not seen this until now...
(oh, love the idea of two/three columns, btw...)

i'd almost "put money on it" that Google will increase script count and FORCE us to use them [i'm currently showing four, web search works even if they are blocked, i do allow them for image search, haven't checked if all four are needed]...

but just watch, that script count is going to jump from four to double or triple [Ask uses 15, Bing uses 12, WebCrawler uses 12, Infospace uses 10, Dogpile uses 8, Yahoo/altavista only uses 1... My Excite uses 95...]
Mar. 16, 2012, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: Mar. 16, 2012 09:07 AM by Mele20.)
Thank you JJoe! The filter works great. Smile!

But I still want to try and chain ProtectedSearch to Proxo. Especially now that I read the Wall Street Journal link in this thread about Google's upcomng semantic additions to search and their other upcoming changes. That is going to make ProtectedSearch worth a lot of money to its creator as many of us will NOT welcome Google search changes that they are doing based on our location so they can target ads more successfully. (Of course, the FB sheeples will love it).

I think I tried to follow that page you linked to in Proxo's Help about chaining proxies many years ago when I was trying to chain cookiecrusher but I think I recall the only way I got it done was someone at Wilders told me how to do it. I was missing some simple something I didn't understand ...something like that. Anyhow, I will read the Proxo help page when I have more time and see if I can do it. With ProtectedSearch, I did a search for "McDonald's" and got generalized results no localized. Then I did the same search using Proxo and got a list of all McDonald's in my home town and a Google map to them and a bunch of images and news items...UGH. ProtectedSearch did not give me any images or news items, plus, of course, no localization. ProtectedSearch http://googlesharing.net/ is a great idea but I wonder how long before Google tries to kill it.

I think you are probably right about NoScript not hiding my IP from Google during a Google search but ProtectedSearch hides it. I assume if I install the files for Proxo to do SSL and then use Google's SSL search that would also hide the IP address but probably not from Google. ProtectedSearch is using other methods to keep Google from knowing what any particular user searched for.

I haven't had Fx10 long and only on this virtual machine that I don't use that much. I have done very little tweaking. My Fx4 on the host machine is VERY tweaked. I had not set "dom.storage.enabled" to false as I have on Fx4. So, I did that and redid the Panopticlik test and with Proxo DISabled, that sets the SuperCookie test, and Browser Plugin Details, to "noscript" and most of the other tests also. I can't see how that setting affects Browser Plugin Details or the other categories (except SuperCookie) but it does. If I then enable Proxo, and do the test, I still get Browser Plugin Details and it is the one with the most definitive bits. Sad The SuperCookie test says DOM storage is off and that I expected. What I get from this is that Fx does a better job on its own at Panopticlik in not tattling. Proxo causes the tattling. It doesn't matter how many folks know about the test as long as Browser Plugin Details, etc are all being sent to the websites I visit. Fx, without Proxo, show almost noneof the identifying details (except user agent string) but why setting "dom.storage.enabled" to false accomplishes this I don't know. (Maybe my Fx 10 is all wacky as I did not make a new profile when I upgraded to it from 3.0. I did install ver 10 in a separate location so it is a clean install (not on top of Fx 3) but I did not add a new profile. I have some problems, possibly due to a corrupted profile, so it could be I will find different results when I do make another profile which I can't even recall how to do, offhand, as I haven't made a new Fx profile in many years).
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: Mar. 16, 2012 09:30 AM by Mele20.)
(Mar. 14, 2012 10:49 AM)ProxRocks Wrote:  
(Mar. 14, 2012 01:03 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  What do you mean by "telephone display" search?

you have been using Scroogle too long and you really have not been "keeping up"... the Proxo community has been using "sprawled results" for YEARS...

a "telephone display" is in reference to people that do their internet surfing on a TELEPHONE [a CELL phone] (a "smart phone", for example)...

these have "displays" that are literally TWO INCHES wide...
whereas a COMPUTER display has widescreen monitors RARELY less than TWELVE INCHES wide...

so yeah, on a TELEPHONE, you'd "want" search results to NOT be on ONE line...

the bottom line is that "sprawling" results are by design, you just haven't been "keeping up" and are in the 'minority' as MOST within the Proxo Community WANT the "sprawling" results - ie, STOP YELLING AT US Smile!

No, I don't think it is so much that I have not been keeping up, but that I used Opera for two years as my default browser until after I upgraded to Fx 4 in March 2011 and I still used it a lot then (mostly using Scroogle but sometimes Google). Even with Proxo (Sidki 2009 on this virtual machine and Sidki 201 on the host machine) filtering the results are not sprawled on Opera when using Google. The Opera Google search displays beautfully and always has. And it has the thumbnails on the right when using JJoes filter. I no longer get the thumbnails now with JJoe's filter when using Fx10. Opera is the best browser IMO except for a couple of things (it still doesn't remember what you type in a text box (UGH) and it doesn't have hardly any extensions).
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: Mar. 16, 2012 10:21 AM by ProxRocks.)
Opera is my "second favorite"...
edit: and yes, agreed, many of the Google Updates in recent memory did not work in Opera...

one thing that i do NOT like about it is that it REMEMBERS "previous searches", the keyword searched for is REMEMBERED...
edit: NOT remembering what is typed in a text box is a POSITIVE in my opinion Smile!

jumping through the hoop of "delete private data" clears out the "previous searches", but it is my opinion it should be cleared when the browser is exited...

it's got NOTHING to do with trying to "hide" my browser searches, FAR FROM IT, it's got to do with the paranoia of being tracked... i can't claim that the "remembered" previous searches is some sort of built-up "profile" or anything like that, i just *hate* seeing a web browser "remember" ANYTHING from one session to the next...

edit: i am *NOT* a fan of how MANY web browsers come with built-in "form fillers" and "remember password" features... in all honesty, my PROXO fills in those forms and those passwords, i just do NOT want them 'remembered' by the BROWSER... and yeah, that's part of my "paranoia" also... who is to say that "tomorrow's" Opera/Firefox/Chrome/IE "security vulnerability" is that a 'hacker' found a way to retrieve ALL of those "memorized passwords"... i have no clue if it "can" happen, i'm just too paranoid to run the risk, lol...
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: Mar. 16, 2012 11:36 AM by Dave Guest.)
(Mar. 16, 2012 10:10 AM)ProxRocks Wrote:  Opera is my "second favorite"... [...]
one thing that i do NOT like about it is that it REMEMBERS "previous searches", the keyword searched for is REMEMBERED...

I think setting this to zero stops that recording: opera:config#UserPrefs|MaxDirectHistoryLines

Quote:edit: NOT remembering what is typed in a text box is a POSITIVE in my opinion Smile!

jumping through the hoop of "delete private data" clears out the "previous searches", but it is my opinion it should be cleared when the browser is exited...

You can combine the Delete Private Data, and exiting, into a single click :-

"Delete Private Data & Shutdown Opera Now!

Opera got an Empty Cache on Exit feature, but it doesn't have Delete Private Data on Exit... So, for those of you who want to use this feature but doesn't want to wait for Opera to add this handy feature later - I present to you the "Clear & Exit" button!"

Quote:[...] i just *hate* seeing a web browser "remember" ANYTHING from one session to the next...

Always use Private Tabs? :-

"To browse without leaving any trace of the websites you visit, you can use a private tab. This is especially useful if you are using someone else's computer, or planning a surprise that you want to keep secret. When you close a private tab, the following data related to the tab is deleted:

browsing history
items in cache
cookies
logins

Private windows

If you prefer to use separate windows when browsing, rather than tabs, you can create a private window by selecting Tabs and Windows > New Private Window, or with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + N. Within the private window, every new tab you open is private. Closing the window removes all traces of your browsing."

(Mar. 16, 2012 09:27 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  Opera is the best browser IMO except for a couple of things (it still doesn't remember what you type in a text box (UGH) and it doesn't have hardly any extensions).

More than a thousand, I think. Are you sure your favorite Fx extensions aren't mirrored amongst those thousand (or already built in to Opera)? Like this one :-

"Persistent Text

This feature enhancement saves and restores form input on closed tabs. It remembers the text you were typing if you reopen a tab after closing it, or if Opera unexpectedly crashes."
Mar. 16, 2012, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: Mar. 17, 2012 03:16 AM by JJoe.)
(Mar. 16, 2012 08:59 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  But I still want to try and chain ProtectedSearch to Proxo.

We can't use the extension. The extension doesn't control the Proxomitron. We can use their proxies, http://gs.netsend.nl/ , and with any browser.

Code:
[HTTP headers]
In = FALSE
Out = TRUE
Key = "! : Proxy: Googleshare NV test (0ut)"
URL = "([^/]++.|)google.[a-z]+/&*[&?]q=&$SETPROXY(gs.netsend.nl:81)(^)"

In = FALSE
Out = TRUE
Key = "! : Proxy: Googleshare NV test gstatic (0ut)"
URL = "([^/]++.|)gstatic.com/&*[&?]q=&$SETPROXY(gs.netsend.nl:81)(^)"

[Proxies]
OpenLog = TRUE

>gs.netsend.nl:81 GoogleSharing

Above sends information to a server that I know nothing about and is not complete! Does not require https.

(Mar. 16, 2012 08:59 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  I haven't had Fx10 long and only on this virtual machine that I don't use that much. I have done very little tweaking. My Fx4 on the host machine is VERY tweaked. I had not set "dom.storage.enabled" to false as I have on Fx4. So, I did that and redid the Panopticlik test and with Proxo DISabled, that sets the SuperCookie test, and Browser Plugin Details, to "noscript" and most of the other tests also. I can't see how that setting affects Browser Plugin Details or the other categories (except SuperCookie) but it does. If I then enable Proxo, and do the test, I still get Browser Plugin Details and it is the one with the most definitive bits. Sad The SuperCookie test says DOM storage is off and that I expected. What I get from this is that Fx does a better job on its own at Panopticlik in not tattling. Proxo causes the tattling. It doesn't matter how many folks know about the test as long as Browser Plugin Details, etc are all being sent to the websites I visit. Fx, without Proxo, show almost noneof the identifying details (except user agent string) but why setting "dom.storage.enabled" to false accomplishes this I don't know. (Maybe my Fx 10 is all wacky as I did not make a new profile when I upgraded to it from 3.0. I did install ver 10 in a separate location so it is a clean install (not on top of Fx 3) but I did not add a new profile. I have some problems, possibly due to a corrupted profile, so it could be I will find different results when I do make another profile which I can't even recall how to do, offhand, as I haven't made a new Fx profile in many years).

You aren't filtering https but the panopticlick test that I see is all https? Your Proxomitron shouldn't be doing much at all...

Sometimes the panopticlick test does not return correct or expected info. I suggest that you clear the browser's cookies and cache and restart the browser before each test.

I don't think browser plugin details are sent to all the websites that you visit. The panopticlick test requests that info. If your browser replies, they know something; if your browser does not reply, they know something.
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:15 AM
(Mar. 16, 2012 06:24 PM)JJoe Wrote:  We can't use the extension. The extension doesn't control the Proxomitron.

I think I take this back. Assuming that the extension can be told to use the Proxomitron, the Proxomitron should be able to detect and forward the traffic to the correct remote proxy.
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
(Mar. 16, 2012 11:35 AM)Dave Guest Wrote:  Are you sure your favorite Fx extensions aren't mirrored amongst those thousand (or already built in to Opera)? Like this one :-

"Persistent Text

This feature enhancement saves and restores form input on closed tabs. It remembers the text you were typing if you reopen a tab after closing it, or if Opera unexpectedly crashes."

That extension has not been updated for almost a year. It doesn't work on Opera 11.61. Sad

I think Opera has terrible extensions. I realize they have not had them for that long but most of them are juvenile in what they do which is silly stuff mostly although not nearly as juvenile and silly junk as the ones Chrome has). Opera has no way to corral the extension developers or anything. You take risk using Opera extensions that you don't take with Fx extensions as they are properly vetted. Even a reputable one like Ghostery doesn't work for me on Opera 11.61. GetSatisfaction website is a nightmare on any browser so I have not been able to get help for Ghostery for Opera. Plus, if it did work it is a bare bones extension compared to Ghostery on Fx and SM.
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:55 AM
(Mar. 18, 2012 11:01 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  
(Mar. 16, 2012 11:35 AM)Dave Guest Wrote:  Like this one :-
"Persistent Text"

That extension has not been updated for almost a year. It doesn't work on Opera 11.61. Sad

It worked for me on each 11.x version I used (though I jumped to 12.x before 11.61 came out), and it works now on 12.0.1174. YMMV Smile!

Quote:I think Opera has terrible extensions. I realize they have not had them for that long but most of them are juvenile in what they do which is silly stuff mostly although not nearly as juvenile and silly junk as the ones Chrome has).

I only need 10 extensions (not including Ghostery, sorry), all serious, all non-terrible.

Quote:Opera has no way to corral the extension developers or anything. You take risk using Opera extensions that you don't take with Fx extensions as they are properly vetted.

Opera's are also properly corralled and vetted.