Easy Life!
Jan. 11, 2012, 10:46 AM
Easy Life!
Hi,
I've used proxomitron for many, many years now, and have been very happy with the way my main desktop is set up. My motto has always been if it ain't broke . . .
The result of that is that I've still been using Windows XP, a very early Firefox (2.0.0.11) and the set of JD configs that were the last available on CCops. However, more and more websites seem to be changing and keep threatening to be incompatible with the Firefox I have, so I've tried updating Firefox - not to the newest versions obviously! - but each time I try, I have problems with invalid SSL certificates, tho my proxo certificates are up to date.
I looked at an earlier post which suggested changing proxo versions (I think) but when I followed the link I was lost. I don't particularly like the newer firefox versions and I'll happily return to the one which I know works for me, but just thought I'd see what, if any, simple advice you can give me about this problem.
With my early version firefox, I just got used to clicking "allow" for all of the security certificate problems, but now I just seem to be denied access (for example by Yahoo and Facebook) before I ever get on to the sites.
Can you offer me any advice please? Preferably with the very detailed steps I might take. As my name suggests, my brain may not be quite so agile as it used to be!
Thanks in advance.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 11, 2012, 11:21 AM
RE: Easy Life!
Hi,
I've just been looking at the forum again and think that JJoe's most recent posts might help with the problem I'm having, tho' I got lost in the explanations!
I followed the instructions about renaming and replacing the certs.pem files, but not sure what to do with the "certs current removed.txt" and the other certs.zip files.
Please could someone give me a step-by-step guide on what I could do with these files?
I won't be going on any secure sites till I'm sure I've got it right!
Thanks.
Jan. 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
um, the "easy life" thread title coupled with your post count made this look like a spam thread, but anyway...

you do not need the "certs-current-removed.txt" file, ignore that, it's more for people trying to roll their own...

detailed steps as follows -

1) download "certs120102.zip" to your desktop so it's easy to find later - post #1 - http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1713

2) download "proxcert120101.zip" to your desktop - post #1 - http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1479

3) EXIT Proxo

4) point your file manager of choice to Proxo's primary folder

5) rename "certs.pem" to the name of your choice, rename only so that you have a backup, if you back up elsewhere, you can delete it here if you want to

6) rename "proxcert.pem" to the name of your choice, if you back up elsewhere, you can delete if here if you want to

7) extract both of the files you downloaded in step 1 and step 2

8) move the files you just extracted to Proxo's primary folder, the folder where you just renamed or deleted the files mentioned in step 5 and step 6

9) restart Proxo

whoala, done Smile!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ProxRocks for this post:
Greycells
Jan. 12, 2012, 01:13 PM
Hi ProxRocks,

Thank you for that information. Sorry about the post title; next time I post I'll choose a title related to whatever problem I have. Hopefully I'll be able to sort everything out now, with the information you've given me.
Thanks again.
Greycells