Change icon color when bypassed?
Dec. 16, 2011, 10:20 AM
Change icon color when bypassed?
Is there a way to change Proxo's icon color dramatically when it is in bypass mode? I use small icons and the shade of green when Proxo is in bypass mode is only slightly darker than the normal green color. Probably, if I used large icons I could more easily see the difference but I hate large icons. Can the color, when bypassed, be an entirely different color, say, red for instance?

This has bothered me for years but I am only asking now because last night I went to Iron forum using Iron (which had been minimized to the task bar as I usually use Fx) and I didn't realize I still had Proxo bypassed (which I done earlier to test how a page loaded on Fx with and without Proxo). I got an ad immediately on the Iron forum that, when I tried to close it, somehow managed to silently download a malicious file. (I had upgraded recently to the latest Iron version and did check settings afterwards and all seemed the same and OK but I missed the one to have Iron's download manager ask for download location each time and it was unchecked so Iron just happily downloaded a malicious file silently. Iron did say the file was dangerous, AFTER it silently downloaded it, and told me to delete it from the temp file).

Had I been able to clearly see that Proxo was bypassed, I would have undone that before using Iron and thus would not have gotten any ad at Iron forum. Thus, I would really find useful having a different color for Proxo icon when it is bypassed. Or instead of a different color, leave it the normal green and have a slash or X through it when on bypass. Or have the bypass green color be much darker...like almost black..something that I can easily see means Proxo is on bypass.

I look at my task bar frequently so all I need is something that will catch my eye and a slightly darker color I actually can't tell if that is darker, or the normal color, and I keep having to right click on the icon and see if bypass is checked. (I can see the difference when it is on bypass and I remove the checkmark as it does go lighter. What I have trouble with though is when on bypass, I glance at the systray and I can't tell if the color is the normal green or the slightly darker). This time I didn't do that because I forgot I had it on bypass earlier and might have it still on bypass. I frequently see ads on some site because I left Proxo on bypass and can't tell the difference without right click checking. That hasn't bothered me that much but having a malicious file download silently because Proxo was on bypass and I didn't realize it is different and potentially dangerous. So, this is why I am asking if there is a way to change this.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 16, 2011, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: Dec. 16, 2011 11:12 AM by Kye-U.)
RE: Change icon color when bypassed?
I personally use Henk's GUI v3.6 patch for Proxomitron 4.5j: http://prxbx.com/download/index.php?dir=...%2FHenk%2F (not v4.0; I don't really like the changes, but it's personal preference. In the 3.6 file, you just need to run Proxo45j-patcher36.exe). Note that you may need to redo the RWin patch: http://proxfilter.net/rwin.html

You can also check out Sidki's (http://sidki.proxfilter.net/prox-gui.html), or Mizz Mona's (http://mizzmona.com/proxomitron/gui/), although I'm not sure what icons they include.

With Henk's v3.6 patch, when you bypass Proxomitron, it changes the green triangle with the red circle in it to a red triangle with a green circle in it, so it's very clear when it's bypassed. It looks much like: [Image: on.gif] (enabled) and [Image: offlock.gif] (bypassed) (Henk's GUI patch was actually the inspiration for these icons when I was creating them Smile!)
Visit this user's website
Dec. 18, 2011, 10:45 AM
Well, I can't use henk's patcher because he wrote it only for that last version of Proxo that I don't use. I use the earlier version 4.5.0.0. I wonder why he wrote it only for that later version of Proxo? Not everyone needs that last version and it is controversial anyway.

I looked at MizMoana's site but I don't want to change the GUI. I just wanted a better systray icon and nothing else changed. Sidki's offering would also change the GUI which I don't want changed. Currently, the GUI uses my chosen colors, not Scott's, and not Sidki's, and I don't want that changed. (I use Windows Classic Style for windows and buttons on XP so my chosen colors and fonts under Menu Items in Advanced desktop display are used for Proxo GUI but not the tray icon).

Thanks for the suggestions, but I guess I'll have to live with the not easy to see default tray icon.
Dec. 18, 2011, 11:52 AM
I think you should could change that icon with a resource editor.
Dec. 18, 2011, 02:44 PM
(Dec. 18, 2011 10:45 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  Not everyone needs that last version and it is controversial anyway.

http://www.proxomitron.info/files/may-vs-june.html

pi-team Wrote:The June version is therefore the "final" 4.5 release

pi-team Wrote:The accuracy of this overview of operational differences has been confirmed by Scott Lemmon, who graciously reviewed it upon request.

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
Dec. 20, 2011, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I have read that information in the past. But you only need the June version if you use remote proxies which I don't. I haven't had problems with the merge bug. I have forgotten to click the save icon though many times. Big Teeth

i still think I recall more controversy at the time. I made a specific decision to not get the June version back then. There was more to it than that page you referenced but I can't remember any details about it now.
Dec. 20, 2011, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: Dec. 20, 2011 12:38 PM by ProxRocks.)
i suspect you'll find yourself in the minority...

i too remember doing TONS of reading between the two differences and i too do not use remote proxies, but i am using the JUNE release after that TONS of reading...

you might be right, so long as you don't use remote proxies, you'll never get the "hidden" fall-back anyway - i still wouldn't recommend the May, imho... it is a one-version-only test code that the programmer inserted and was not tested "extensively" 'by the masses'...

you are pretty much the ONLY person that walks these halls that has reported using the May over the June - so that means if there was a bug to be found, you yourself would be the only person to find it - do you trust your own ability to find that bug? would you "see" the bug from inside your browser's viewing window or would it be something like a random header-send once every thousand?
Dec. 23, 2011, 10:25 AM
You have a good point about a possible bug in the May version that I would probably not find and if most are using the June version then I can't depend on others to find it if one exists.

I'll consider moving to the June version. If I do though it will not be until I get a new computer which won't be till end of next summer-fall (assuming this one holds up until then). I'll probably put the June version on a new computer but it would be a bit of a hassle to do so on this one.