Remove Google Black Bar
Jul. 02, 2011, 03:22 AM
Remove Google Black Bar
The Google Black bar at the top of Google pages now is ugly and hard to read. I noticed on the translation page (after translating) that the old bar is back but every where else now it is that awful "black bar of death" as some users have labeled it.

There are supposedly a bunch of hacks to get rid of it but Proxo should filter something like this seems to me. It is REALLY UGLY. I usually use Scroogle so I don't have to see it that much but Scroogle is gonna get screwed up again in the near future when Google makes their big search changes (the black bar is just the beginning). Who knows how long will be down when this happens and I'll have to use Google itself.

So, can Proxo filter this or should I apply one of the hacks floating around the internet?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 02, 2011, 04:30 AM (This post was last modified: Jul. 03, 2011 01:57 PM by JJoe.)
RE: Remove Google Black Bar
Try

Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "Google Black bar to ????                  11.07.03"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)[^.]+.google"
Limit = 256
Match = "#gbx3,#gbx4\{background-color:#2d2d2d"
        "|"
        "<body>$STOP()(^)"
Replace = "#gbx3,#gbx4\{background-color:blue"

Change "blue" to your preference.

HTH

Edit: 11.07.03 URL Match changed to include video.google.com, maps.google.com, news.google.com, etc.
Jul. 03, 2011, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: Jul. 03, 2011 08:40 AM by Mele20.)
Thank you! Smile!

That was sort of weird. I merged that filter and went to google.com and I saw a bright blue bar (same blue as the G in Google). The text was in white. It looked nice and was much more readable than the black one.

I just went back again to google.com and now the bar is back to its old white background with blue font for the buttons. I like this also because I never disliked the way the main google page looked (until the crap on the left side that is gone with Proxo filtering and now the black bar). I use all of Sidki's google filters except the blue background as I have always liked the way Google used to look. After reading Google's announcement on these changes...I wonder what I will think of all the upcoming ones (and how is Scroogle going to cope with all this)?

Am I the only Proxo user upset by that awful black bar?
Jul. 03, 2011, 09:45 AM
I went to http://www.google.com again and the bar was black! Suddenly the black bar turned blue. I'm having trouble with my internet connection so testing it is very slow right now. It appears to be blue for web and images buttons. But when I click on videos, maps. or news the bar reverts to black. It goes back to blue on shopping button. I didn't test GMail as I don't have it. On "other", I tried translate and that gives me the old white bar with black text on the buttons.

I think Google is not finished with this bar. That is typical of Google too. Maybe I should not asked for a filter until Google gets the bar completed and rolled out to everyone.
Jul. 03, 2011, 02:09 PM
Url Match updated. I didn't check all the subdomains.
Google doesn't appear to use the Black bar everywhere.

Thanks
Jul. 03, 2011, 11:37 PM
(Jul. 03, 2011 08:28 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  Am I the only Proxo user upset by that awful black bar?

nope, same here...
i tend to have a few 'dozen' of filters just for site-specific "cosmetic" nuances Smile!
Jul. 11, 2011, 12:48 AM
Good filter! Recently I checked back on this forum to see what's happening. I haven't done much of anything to my filter set since the last config, but I'm adding this one. Need to do some other tweaks too, as I see there have been some corrections in other filters.
Aug. 08, 2011, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: Aug. 08, 2011 08:58 PM by OZO.)
Here is mine version of coloring the top bar, that I use now. It makes the top bar with light blue hue. I've seen it some day sent by Google. But it was eventually replaced with this ugly black bar...

Filter could be used with different themes, but it's in nuance with the "Google Light Theme" published here. And it easily could be embedded inside that filter too...

Here is the filter:
Code:
Name = "Google Search: Light Theme - White Top Bar    11.08.07 [ozo] ADD"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TST(hCT=*html)www.google.(*/)+{1}(intl/(*/)+{1}(^?)|search\?|advanced_search\?|webhp|(^?))$SET(keyword=$TST(keyword=\1.(i_layout:[#*:0].)+\2)\1.i_layout:2.\2)"
Limit = 1000
Match = "(^(^</HEAD>))$STOP()"
Replace = "\r\n<style type="text/css">/* Google Light Theme - white top bar: */\r\n"
          ".gbts{color:#36c!important;}.gbgt:hover,.gbzt:hover{background-color:#EFEFFF;}"
          "#gbx3,#gbx4{background-color:#fff!important;background-image:url(//ssl.gstatic.com/gb/images/b_8d5afc09.png);_background-image:url(//ssl.gstatic.com/gb/images/b8_c99e669a.png);border-bottom:1px solid #f5f5f5;}"
          "#gbi5{background:url(//ssl.gstatic.com/gb/images/b_8d5afc09.png);_background:url(//ssl.gstatic.com/gb/images/b8_c99e669a.png);background-position:-6px -22px;}</style>"