Your browser is no longer supported.
Jan. 15, 2015, 09:23 PM
RE: Your browser is no longer supported.
(Jan. 15, 2015 07:16 PM)zoltan Wrote:  In "[^/|]" I was thinking that "|" was being used as a meta character that meant OR. Not true? If as you say, it's trying instead to avoid matching the characters "/" and "|", why isn't the escape character "\" used before the "|" ?

OR is implied inside []. So, I assume, Scott chose to remove its powers when inside []. Saves us having to type \|.

(Jan. 15, 2015 07:16 PM)zoltan Wrote:  And the "or nothing" description is still confounding me. Going back to post #14, what specifically is in the "[^/]+" that indicates "or nothing" ?
According to the matching rules, the "+" supposedly "indicates a run of repeating characters." The example used says: [abc]+ would match a run of any characters "a","b",or "c" like "ababccba"
So, since there's no OR symbol "|" in that expression, I'm having trouble getting anything but "match a run of anything that's not a "/" "

Only + may be followed by {n,n}. Scott chose to make the default behaviour +{0,*}. So the + indicated "or nothing".

Proxo's Help isn't perfect. When in doubt use the test window and experiment.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your browser is no longer supported. - JJoe - Jan. 15, 2015 09:23 PM