Install proxomitron for firefox
Sep. 03, 2010, 03:43 PM
Install proxomitron for firefox
Hi,

I'm learning how to use proxomitron and I really like it, but it has somewhat a steep learning curve. So far, I'm able to get it setup in IE but I can't get IE to work with Google Voice, so Google suggested to try Fire Fox. I don't know anything about this browser and was hoping someone here could help with Proxom's installation?

Also, if there are any FF users here... could someone tell me where I can change the settings for java and scripting like I can with IE? I only found 5 single options under: OPTIONS -> CONTENT tab. Can't find anything with activex anywhere. I would like to disable everything except for active acripting - is that possible?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Sep. 03, 2010, 07:46 PM
RE: Install proxomitron for firefox
personally, throw Google's "suggestion" to use Firefox out the window and let's figure out how to get Google Voice to work with your "preferred" browser...

"browser wars" get old, the bottom line is that you should use whichever you are most comfortable with...

if that is IE, then let's get Google Voice to work with IE instead of "adding" to the learning curve and throwing another variable (Firefox) into the mix...

(ps - what do you mean by "Google's suggestion"? surely Google isn't directing people "away" from Chrome/Chromium?...)
Sep. 03, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hi ProxRocks,

Yes, Google did actually suggest FF instead of Chrome in a self-diagnostic questionnaire. I went through it when I couldn't get the Google Voice plugin to work. It worked initially but stopped working the next day. Google's phone is tied into the Chat software and that's where the problem exists. Gmail attempts to load the chatware but ends up giving an error message saying, "We're experiencing technical difficulties that may prevent your chats from being sent". Then it goes into auto-attempt every couple of minutes.

Thinking there must be a setting conflicting with it, I placed gmail in a trusted zone and bypassed proxomitron. Then in google's help section, it said to allow unassigned content to run, so I did (in the trusted zone). This was how I was able to get it working initially but now I'm back to square one. I would prefer to use IE if at all possible. Do you have any suggestions?
Sep. 04, 2010, 01:27 AM
i can't think of anything to even try, i've never heard of "Google Voice" until now...

i'm guessing it's a cell-phone thing and i don't have a cell-phone to even test it out Sad
Sep. 04, 2010, 02:56 PM
ok, not a problem.

I decided to put FF in a sandbox and from more googling, I learned how to get it working with Proxomitron. But I still can't seem to find the java and script settings. (So far I'm not impressed with this browser, it gives one a feeling of having a firewall with all the ports open) Do you know where these settings are?

I was looking in the help file about creating filters, it's confusing. Has anyone redid it to made it easier to understand?
Sep. 04, 2010, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: Sep. 04, 2010 06:14 PM by ProxRocks.)
it's been a while since i've messed with Firefox...
i know there is a setting to change "script behavior" (such as allowing changes to the 'status bar' for sidki's page load timer)...

but i don't remember any java "settings" other than to allow it or not...

personally, i just let Proxo "manage" my java and scripts...
(ie, block all scripts, toggle all java...)
Sep. 04, 2010, 11:21 PM
(Sep. 04, 2010 01:27 AM)ProxRocks Wrote:  i can't think of anything to even try, i've never heard of "Google Voice" until now...

i'm guessing it's a cell-phone thing and i don't have a cell-phone to even test it out Sad

google voice is once and for all phone number. it can be use to map redirect calls at certain time of the day, reject calls, put people on hold, call the US and canada for FREE!