BFilter is abandonware?
Jul. 18, 2010, 11:10 AM
BFilter is abandonware?
Hello!

My question: BFilter is an abandonware?
The latest version is from year 2008! 2 years old.
Any update in year 2010 or a new version?

Thanks!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 18, 2010, 11:19 AM
RE: BFilter is abandonware?
Yes, it's no longer developed.
Jul. 18, 2010, 02:10 PM
Can you advise me a good alternative?
Godd alternative=developed, fresh, with low system requirements.
I know Privoxy=not good, slow down my net speed.
Proximodo, Proxomitron: both are abandonware?

Thanks
>>>>
(Jul. 18, 2010 11:19 AM)jart Wrote:  Yes, it's no longer developed.
Jul. 19, 2010, 08:16 AM
Proxomitron is definately not "abandonware"; have you taken a look just above at its active filter developments and helper programs?! The program self is still quite up-to-speed despite its age with relatively low system requirements. Just give it a try and you will not want to surf without it anymore, as it is very powerful and infinitely (custom) configurable.
Apr. 03, 2011, 02:28 AM (This post was last modified: Apr. 03, 2011 02:31 AM by bobsobol.)
The original author of Proxomitron (R.I.P.) died without allowing anyone access to his source code. The fact that there is continued community support for it and development *with* it, does not alter the fact that it is not and never will be developed (as a program) any more.

There will never be a Vista or Windows 7 version of it, an ia64 build or even an x64 build. It will never run as an NT service before login. There can be no more "development".

On the other hand, BFilter has not had any contributions to it's development in 2 years, but is open source, and if anyone should wish to modify the source and submit patches to continue development they are welcome to do so.

So it would be fairer to say that BFilter is not "abandoned" but rather that development has "stalled".

(I'm sorry to have to point that out, as it is such a sad tale. But it is the true fact of the matter.)