Google new look update!
May. 06, 2010, 07:44 AM
Google new look update!
Quote:A spring metamorphosis — Google’s new look
5/05/2010 09:00:00 AM
Using Google today, you may have noticed that something feels slightly different — the look and feel of our search results have changed! Today’s metamorphosis responds to the increasing richness of the web and the increasing power of search — revealing search tools on the left and updating the visual look and feel throughout. While we are constantly rolling out small changes and updates, today’s changes showcase the latest evolutions in our search technology, making it easier than ever to find exactly what you're looking for.

[Image: Everything+-+Wind+Power.jpg]

What’s new and what’s changed?
We’ve added contextually relevant, left-hand navigation to the page. This new side panel highlights the most relevant search tools and refinements for your query. Over the past three years, we've launched Universal Search, the Search Options panel and Google Squared, and it’s those three technologies that power the left-hand panel.

Universal Search helps you find the most relevant types of results for your search. The top section of the new left-hand panel builds on Universal Search by suggesting the most relevant genres of results for your query and letting you seamlessly switch to these different types of results. The "Everything" option remains our essential search experience with different types of results integrated into the main results, but now you can also easily switch to just the particular type of results you are looking for.

Our expandable Search Options panel launched last spring brought many rich slice-and-dice tools to search. The new left-hand navigation showcases these tools and enables you to get a different view of your results. Perhaps you’d like to see images from each of the results or just the newest information? These options are all on the left, and our technology will suggest the tools that are most relevant and helpful to your query.

Google Squared (available on Google Labs) helps you find and compare entities. Our "Something different" feature builds on the technology in Google Squared to find other entities that are related to your query, so you can easily explore not only the results for your current query but other related topics.

In addition to the left-hand side changes, we’ve updated our look and feel in terms of our color palette and our logo. These changes are slight, keeping our page minimalist and whimsical, but make our overall look more modern.

The new design refreshes and streamlines the look, feel and functionality of Google, making it easier to pinpoint what you’re looking for. It’s powerful, yet simple. Today’s changes are the latest in our continuing efforts to evolve and improve Google. We've been testing these changes with users over the past few months, and what we're launching today reflects the feedback we've received.. We want to ensure that the Google you use today is better than the one you used yesterday, and these latest changes open up many possibilities for future features and enhancements.

so a new update for the google themes?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
May. 07, 2010, 02:46 AM
RE: Google new look update!
That is NOT new. I posted here months ago about it. At that time only Fx users with certain IP's were getting that crap. Today, Google has made it for everyone and every browser.

There is a thread at dslreports about it and most are howling. They HATE it and want to know how to get rid of it. I too want a filter to get rid of it! Plus, as of today, Proxo is NOT filtering the sponsored links on the right except on Opera. But not on Fx or IE.

I stopped using Google much when they decided to include me and Fx involuntarily in their beta for this crap they have unleashed on everyone. I mostly use Scroogle now but in case I do want to use Google, I would enjoy a filter to put Google search page and results back to normal. I don't like the new search page either besides the awful results page.

Plus, Proxo filter for the drop down Suggestions is no longer working. I hate that more than anything else about Google.

The irony is that I rarely use Bing but I like how Microsoft has done it. It looks much nicer. Google's search is so ugly. But Bing has those horrible drop down suggestions crap also. Thank God for Scroogle with none of the crap. But Scroogle needs a Proxo toggle switch to turn on/off the diatribes about Google. I have read all of them. Some are very interesting (and the photo of Sergi in drag is hilarious). But some of the diatribes are very long, very in your face and I don't want to see that every search so a toggle switch would be really nice.
May. 07, 2010, 03:00 AM
I just checked the dslr thread and more howls. Sumware wrote a Proxo filter and posted it..but then withdrew it. Said it didn't work that well Someone suggested that everyone who hates the changes use G00gle.net but that site's registrar is GO CHINA DOMAINS.
May. 07, 2010, 04:51 AM
Without wishing to discourage Kye-U from creating a new filter which zaps the new sidebar, I'd like to lobby for (also?) tweaking the existing ones which don't, because I quite like the new layout!

Indeed, we have at least two filters which try to add some of that sidebar stuff (and are now partly redundant) :-

Google Search: Add Modifier Links 9.06.06 (multi) [sd] (d.s)
Google Search: Add Date Range Box 7.10.22 [sd] (d.s)

Unlike Mele, the Google Search: Remove Ad Blocks 9.04.29 [sd ku] (d.s) filter still works for me on Firefox (and Opera). BUT ... it also kills the new SafeSearch off ? toggle link (to the right of the Search button, in the image below).

[Image: 166xgy8.jpg]

And there are slight, or fatal, issues with the Google Search: Alternate Display filters, for me. With either no additional Theme, or with the Light Blue Theme, the sidebar icons are mangled (and block the ability to click some of the first few results).

[Image: 2rnu87b.jpg]

With either the Dark Blue or Grey Themes, the icons are fine, but the Time-related section of the sidebar is miscolored.

[Image: aes8ld.jpg]

And for any ad-blocked or alternate display, the results no longer flow all the way across the page. Instead they stop where the adverts would be. I forget if it's the Remove Ad Blocks or Alternate Display filters which control that aspect.

Other Google filter stuff :-

They seem to have fixed on a new cache URL (webcache.googleusercontent), so I think the Google: Cached Header Mover 8.11.29 [th sd] (d.s) now needs to start something like this :-

Code:
$TYPE(htm)(webcache.googleusercontent|64.233.1[#60:91]|66.(102.[#0:15]|249.[#64:95])|72.14.[#192:255]|74.125|209.85.[#128:255]|216.239.[#32:63]).[^/]+/(search|custom)\?*q=cache(:|%3)

I don't think the Google Books/Groups: Remove Ad Blocks 9.01.17 [jd ku sd] (d.s) filter is needed any more?

I don't think the Google Images: Direct Links 7.11.14 [po] (d.s) filter works any more?

I'd love one more sub-filter for the main Alternate Display filter, which split the results into two columns. I've been using this User Script http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/10299 but it would be great to have it baked into my Proxo set.

I think that's about it.

Kye-U to the rescue? Wink
May. 07, 2010, 05:21 AM
If you want to use the old interface, it's still available at http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=all

I rather like the new interface and the new logo Smile!
May. 07, 2010, 08:16 AM
(May. 07, 2010 04:51 AM)Dave Guest Wrote:  Unlike Mele, the Google Search: Remove Ad Blocks 9.04.29 [sd ku] (d.s) filter still works for me on Firefox (and Opera). BUT ... it also kills the new SafeSearch off ? toggle link (to the right of the Search button, in the image below).

Actually, I'm not sure it is that filter which is killing the SafeSearch off ? toggle link. If I bypass Proxo completely, that link appears. But if I only disable all my Google filters, it's still gone (even using sidki_oob). Is it caught by a non-Google-specific JS filter, perhaps?