Siemens router has an open port
Dec. 16, 2009, 06:27 AM
Siemens router has an open port
I am using a Siemens SE567 modem/router supplied by my ISP. I was looking at its settings and found a firewall rule dealing with port 7547 that seemed rather odd, so I tested that port with the grc.com Shields Up stealth test and found that that port is OPEN. Why would that port be open? That port is used for remote control of end-user devices, which in this case would be the router. Is that not a potential security risk? Could someone on the outside take control of the router?

Would it be possible to use port forwarding to bring probes to that port inside the router boundary and send them off to a non-existent address without fouling up something?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 17, 2009, 03:59 AM
RE: Siemens router has an open port
(Dec. 16, 2009 06:27 AM)Siamesecat Wrote:  Could someone on the outside take control of the router?

I don't know what is the situation with your device but I know it is possible for ISP to remote manage end-user devices. I have seen many modem/router support TR-069 protocol, which is right for that purpose. Look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069
Dec. 17, 2009, 06:26 AM
RE: Siemens router has an open port
Well, trying to use port forwarding to thwart that did not work. The router will not let me do that! Interesting reference. Thanks.