How to config the cache dir?
Oct. 11, 2009, 06:12 AM
How to config the cache dir?
Hi, i use bfilter with chrome (on windows xp), it is great.
anyway, i want to config the bfilter cache directory to D:\somewhere\cache, can i do that?

Is there something like "bfilter.exe --cache-dir="D:\path" ?
any documents about this?

Please help, thank you.

Office Topic:
Anyone installed bfilter on OpenBSD?
How do you install ACE on OpenBSD?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:10 AM
RE: How to config the cache dir?
There is no way to change the cache directory, except installing BFilter itself to a different location. Why would you want to change it anyway? It's only for caching scripts, and the cache size is limited by default to 5 MB.

(Oct. 11, 2009 06:12 AM)register88 Wrote:  Anyone installed bfilter on OpenBSD?
How do you install ACE on OpenBSD?
I haven't tried building it on OpenBSD, but a long time ago I built it on FreeBSD. ACE was available in Ports I think, but I remember having to build by own version anyway. I seem to remember the standard ./configure && make && make install procedure failed for me then, so I had to revert to their old procedure where you copy the appropriate config-${platform}.h to config.h and platform_${platform}.GNU to platform_macros.GNU
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:36 AM
(Oct. 11, 2009 08:10 AM)jart Wrote:  There is no way to change the cache directory, except installing BFilter itself to a different location. Why would you want to change it anyway? It's only for caching scripts, and the cache size is limited by default to 5 MB.
Because for some reason, my system is readonly, when the system restart, all the cache will gone.
and i think the cache can speed up something(is it?), so i want it can cache something even i restart the system.
i relocated the bfilter install directory now, and i set the cache size limit to 500MB.
anyway, you said it just cache the script,
what the script does?
if i cache the script, will it speed up bfilter?
and any tips can speed up bfilter?

(Oct. 11, 2009 08:10 AM)jart Wrote:  I haven't tried building it on OpenBSD, but a long time ago I built it on FreeBSD. ACE was available in Ports I think, but I remember having to build by own version anyway. I seem to remember the standard ./configure && make && make install procedure failed for me then, so I had to revert to their old procedure where you copy the appropriate config-${platform}.h to config.h and platform_${platform}.GNU to platform_macros.GNU
The ACE website said, ACE on openbsd DO NOT support pthread,
so, i think the build will work, if disable pthread, but i do not tried yet.

Anyway, thank you and your nice software.
Thanks.
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:46 AM
The reason only scripts are cached is because scripts are the only objects fetched by BFilter on its own behalf, rather than on behalf of a browser. Everything fetched on behalf of a browser will be cached by the browser itself.

I couldn't find a mention about ACE not supporting pthreads on OpenBSD. I found a mention that pthreads don't work with exceptions enabled under OpenBSD, but that should not be a problem.
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:55 AM
(Oct. 11, 2009 08:46 AM)jart Wrote:  The reason only scripts are cached is because scripts are the only objects fetched by BFilter on its own behalf, rather than on behalf of a browser. Everything fetched on behalf of a browser will be cached by the browser itself.
Anyway, what the script does?
Will bfilter update default filter rules?

(Oct. 11, 2009 08:46 AM)jart Wrote:  I couldn't find a mention about ACE not supporting pthreads on OpenBSD. I found a mention that pthreads don't work with exceptions enabled under OpenBSD, but that should not be a problem.
Yes, you are right, the website just mention that.

Please help, thank you again.