Getting a new IP on broadband
Jul. 11, 2004, 07:26 AM

I heard somewhere that your IP number on broadband is stored somewhere on your computer and that the network card will try to renew the old number on release and renew. Where is this information stored? I have had the same IP number for several days now, and would like to get it to change.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 11, 2004, 11:43 AM

IIRC it depends on the OS you are using.
For Win2K it's the "DhcpIPAddress" value in one of the ID keys (differs for each system) below:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces

sidki
Jul. 11, 2004, 06:20 PM

If you have a router, change the MAC address of it and then release and renew your IP.

If you don't have one, follow these instructions:

Quote:1.   Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel and double click on Network and the connection that you are using.
2.   Right click on the NIC you want to change the MAC address and click on properties.
3.   Under "General" tab, click on the "Configure" button
4.   Click on "Advanced" tab
5.   Under "Property section", you should see an item called "Network Address" or "Locally Administered Address", click on it.
6.   On the right side, under "Value", type in the New MAC address you want to assign to your NIC.  Usually this value is entered without the "-" between the MAC address numbers.
7.   Goto command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all" or "net config rdr" to verify the changes.  If the changes are not materialized, then use the second method.
8.   If successful, reboot your system.
Visit this user's website
Jul. 11, 2004, 08:58 PM

Quote:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
Sidki,
I am using Windows 98SE, and that key is not present. In fact, the Services key is not present.
Jul. 11, 2004, 09:05 PM

Quote:2.   Right click on the NIC you want to change the MAC address and click on properties.
3.   Under "General" tab, click on the "Configure" button
My Network applet in my Control Panel does not have that configuration. The Network window has 3 tabs in it: Configuration, Identification, and Access Control. In the Configuration tab, if I select a network component, I can click a Properties button. For the properties of the LAN adapter in the tab "IP Address", it is set to obtain an IP address automatically and there is no pre-set IP address.
Jul. 11, 2004, 09:13 PM

The IP number must be stored somewhere, because I can release it, shut off access to the internet with the firewall, shut down the computer and turn off the power to it and the modem, then restart several hours later and get the same IP number without having to enable internet traffic or renew.
Jul. 11, 2004, 10:27 PM

Siamesecat Wrote:I am using Windows 98SE, and that key is not present. In fact, the Services key is not present.
For Win9x look for an "IPAddress" value in one of the keys below:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans
That "Services" key ought to be there.
Jul. 12, 2004, 08:36 AM

sidki and Kye-U;

Sorry, but Siamesecat said in his very first post
Quote:... your IP number on broadband ...
This implies that Siamescat has broadband. His further reponses prove that he is asking the question for himself, not for a friend, so now we can be sure that he has broadband, and hence we know that he has a static IP. That's why he never gets a different number - releasing and renewing is meant only for a DHCP client, and has no effect on a static IP.

Case closed.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Jul. 12, 2004, 02:29 PM

Oddysey Wrote:Sorry, but Siamesecat said in his very first post
I understand.

But changing the MAC Address and then releasing and renewing is known to change the IP Address, even for Broadband users.
Visit this user's website
Jul. 12, 2004, 05:19 PM

Kye-U;
Quote:
Quote:Sorry, but Siamesecat said in his very first post
I understand.

But changing the MAC Address and then releasing and renewing is known to change the IP Address, even for Broadband users.

Nope, not true. When you have a broadband connection, either cable or DSL (or heaven forbid, a direct T1), you have a so-called "modem" at your service entrance point. That device is what is connected directly to your ISP, not your computer. There's a reason that no modem has ever been made to act as a DHCP client for an ISP - there are no DHCP servers in a WAN, period. To institute such would be pure folly from several standpoints.

The point it, you are no longer using a shared pool of possible connecting points and wires, you are on a dedicated connection, from your modem to the ISP. (OK, Cable service is over a shared conductor, but that's a different technology, and not the subject of our debate here.)

When you stop to think about it, it makes sense. The ISP has to know who you are, so they can meter (and monitor) your actions on-line. If they didn't know you, with 100% surety, then they'd up a creek without a paddle when they tried to bill you, right? If you could truly release and renew your IP, anytime you wanted to, then the ISP would be play merry hob trying to track everybody for billing purposes.

Nope, like I said, they aren't gonna let that happen. They like things nice and simple, and guaranteed to be accurate, 100% of the time. And since DHCP would also be a security nightmare on a WAN, they will gladly forego that little headache too. Once again, how would they know just who is pulling what stunt? Who should they cut off for posting death threats to the PM, eh? And if anyone thinks the ISP is just gonna use the MAC, then why are we having this dicussion? Go back and read what Kye-U said - it can be changed, and the ISP's know it. No dice there, chief.

OK, I've ranted long enough. It's somebody else's turn. Take it......

Oddysey

Jul. 12, 2004, 09:58 PM

Quote: hence we know that he has a static IP.
I have a dynamic IP. My provider said so. I just got a new IP this morning. I found out where the IP is stored in the registry (from another forum), and changed it to a number that I had had months before, after releasing the IP in Winipcfg. I then shut down the computer and modem and went to bed. After restarting everything this morning, I checked Winipcfg for my IP number. The number was different from the one I had plugged into the registry and also different from the one I had yesterday.
Jul. 13, 2004, 06:22 AM

Jaded_Goth;

Please detail the exact procedure you use to get this new IP. For that matter, please tell us just how your machine is connected to the Innernet. (What kind of modem, router, hub, etc.)

My last post pretty much covers the current state of affairs, but I'm always open for learning new stuff. If your ISP truly gives you a new IP whenever you ask for one, then I have to wonder at both his security model, and at his accounting practices.

Oh, wait, I think I just thought of something. Do you have to log on to your ISP every time you turn on your machine? That's a crucial question - it will make a difference in how I word my next contribution to this thread.

Oddysey