New to Tor/Freecap etc.
May. 06, 2009, 02:42 AM
New to Tor/Freecap etc.
Hi everyone! I'm very new with everything having to do with proxy servers, Tor, etc, and I'm in need of a bit of guidance. I have dled Promomitron, but I don't specifically need it for what I want to accomplish. I'm not sure where else to ask for help and I could definitely use some.

All I'm wanting to do is route an application that doesn't support HTTP/SOCKS through a proxy server. From what I've gathered, all I need to do this is a piece of software like FreeCap or SocksCap and a proxy. Well, here's my first problem.

This is the proxy I'm using, I got it from a googled list of proxies: 67.69.254.247:80 - I believe this is an HTTP proxy, is there any way to tell? It works fine when I plug it into IE and FF manually (in FF, the 'SOCKS 5 radio is always highlighted, which throws me off even more. Is it a SOCK then?) I put this proxy into SocksCap (does SocksCap only support SOCKS proxies?) and add my browsers; they all launch, FF & IE fail to load the page, Opera acts like nothing happened.

Next I used FreeCap; I plugged the proxy in and addded the apps, but IE is the only one that launches (and doesn't work, but I heard somewhere that I wouldn't). No matter what else I add (messenger, mail, games) I get an hourglass when I click "Run" but nothing else comes up.

I dled another one called Proxifier too, but no luck there either. Don't even get me started on Torifying w/ FreeCap (which I'd like to do). Right now I just want to figure out what I'm doing wrong here. Any help in any way is greatly appreciated - I've been reading up on this stuff for days now without any success. If I'm just entirely out of line in posting here, maybe someone could point me towards a more appropriate online community? Anyways, thanks again!

mousetopher
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
May. 08, 2009, 06:35 PM
RE: New to Tor/Freecap etc.
Since you're headed in that direction anyway, you may be better off at the TOR project. http://www.torproject.org/

If you're not interested in URL or content filtering, you may prefer the Polipo proxy instead of Proxo because of its comparative simplicity. http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/polipo/

(May. 06, 2009 02:42 AM)mousetopher Wrote:  This is the proxy I'm using, I got it from a googled list of proxies: 67.69.254.247:80 - I believe this is an HTTP proxy, is there any way to tell?

You can find many thousands of them posted on lists by individuals and organizations. Most of the time those IP addresses are gathered by either mass probing IP ranges (like mine) and/or by implanting malware on innocent people and using their machines to vector connections. My network gets scanned many times each day by the jerks looking for a weakness in the security access to my proxy.

If all you have to go on is some IP that you've read from a list, then you should not be trying to use it. Even if it is an open HTTP or SOCKS proxy, the person you don't know who owns that machine could log everything you do through there to steal your accounts and passwords, and/or send you viral malware in place of web responses.

When you're using TOR then you won't need to be gathering lists of remote proxy IP addresses. However, you should still be concerned because you don't know who operates all of the Tor exit servers and you could still encounter security issues through there.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply