What's with Google and Proxo?
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: Apr. 27, 2009 02:12 PM by ProxRocks.)
RE: What's with Google and Proxo?
if you add a reply to your own reply, with no "non-you" replies in between, then your two replies get "merged" by the form software...
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:23 PM
(Apr. 27, 2009 02:11 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  Uhhm... did anyone actually test my proposed changes?

I see a couple of downloads, but no confirmation that it works (as advertised).

i'm "in-process"...
first observation is that the IncExc entry doesn't fully match the 2/13/09 release unless i've missed an update (which would surprise me in and of itself, being OCD and "obscessed" with Proxo Big Teeth)...

for one, my IncExc file had this as my "before" -
Code:
# Google Search
www.google.[^:/]+/(intl/[^/]+/(^?)|search\?(^q\=cache:)|webhp|(^?))
  $SET(0=a_ads.a_rdlink.a_jslink.a_target.i_popup_b:0.i_timer:2.f_cookie.)
  $SET(1=dlink_b:0.)$SET(sCookieP=0)
  $SET(sCookieF=PREF=ID=3003added0032123:FF=4:NR=25:CR=2:SG=0)

and now this as my "after" -
Code:
www.google.[^/]+/(intl/[^/]+/(^?)|search\?|webhp|(^?))
  $SET(0=a_ads.a_rdlink.a_target.i_popup_b:0.i_timer:2.i_noscr:3.f_cookie.)
  $SET(sCookieP=0)$SET(sCookieF=PREF=ID=3003added0032123:FF=4:NR=25:CR=2:SG=0)

i change the NR=...
but on my to-do list is tracking down that "dlink_b" entry AND looking into that "i_noscr" entry...
because it seems i missed an update somewhere along the line...
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: Apr. 27, 2009 02:34 PM by Mele20.)
Thank you. I didn't realize that would happen. But something else screwy was going on also. I clicked on Edit a couple of minutes ago as I noticed I left out a word from a post. Well, instead of getting an edit window, DEP shut down Firefox! Luckily, I had recently saved the current tab session so I could restore it as Fx 1.5 won't do that automatically like Fx3 does.
I tried again after restarting Fx to edit my post here and DEP shut down Fx AGAIN! Sad I can't use the edit button or quote button here...quote causes DEP to shut down Fx also. Very strange. I guess I will I have to use Fx3 on a virtual machine when I come here.
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:49 PM
(Apr. 27, 2009 02:23 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  first observation is that the IncExc entry doesn't fully match the 2/13/09 release unless i've missed an update (which would surprise me in and of itself, being OCD and "obscessed" with Proxo Big Teeth)...

I've done the changes to my current config, not the default config.
"Old:" refers to my "Old:", not the default "Old:", how it should have been, sorry.

You didn't miss an update. I normally only post changes if major or requested.
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:56 PM
(Apr. 27, 2009 02:49 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  You didn't miss an update.

ah, that's a relief...
i thought my OCD was failing me - time to go Armor-All the mailbox...
Apr. 27, 2009, 06:36 PM
Fine, but again, can someone please take the time to test posted approach?
I mean an actual result. It really just takes one or two minutes!

"Willing to" or "being in process" is great for Kantian or Zen discussions. Let's stick to a more scientific one for this moment.
Apr. 27, 2009, 08:06 PM
i'm LOST as to finding in this thread what the fix was supposed to even fix...

i'm not getting a # in my address bar, whether i'm searching from by browser's search box (which is Google) or whether i'm searching from Google's "front page"...

the 1.. 2.. 3..'s are working for me, there's no goooooogle icon's, but i can't recall them ever being there...

i'm honestly trying to "catch up" with this thread, but reading it, i don't know what i'm supposed to be "looking for"... i honestly don't have a clue as to what "Ajax" is or how to 'look for' it, how to determine if the google search before me is "Ajax" or HTML...
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:30 PM
i've re-read the thread more closely...

the 4/26 fixes (JSProp, IncExc, three filters) does indeed have everything (Prox Menu, 1..2..3.., block sponsored ads) working for me in IE8, Opera, and Firefox...

should i be testing for "Ajax"? (whatever that is...)

i did see once, and only once, that "news" was not showed after a Google search, but that a "show options" link was showed instead... but i cannot get it to "repeat"...
Apr. 28, 2009, 03:33 AM
(Apr. 27, 2009 02:11 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  Uhhm... did anyone actually test my proposed changes?

I see a couple of downloads, but no confirmation that it works (as advertised).

For me, so far, from http://www.google.com,
IE6 usually gets the query version.
K-Meleon usually gets the # version.
Searching from 74.125.45.100 always gets me the query version.

Downloaded set and added only these mods.
Searching with K-Meleon and the # version of Google gets an acceptable page with no numbers, date range box, thumbnails, or modifier links.

Traveling tomorrow.

HTH
Apr. 28, 2009, 04:32 AM (This post was last modified: Apr. 28, 2009 04:33 AM by whenever.)
My test result:

(Apr. 26, 2009 06:20 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  To make the bottom flyover links and the Proxomitron menu work again...
When signed in:
Bottom flyover links didn't show. The Prxomitron menu icon moved to the bottom left. The menu lost its own background color but the menu item function did work.

.png  google_prox_menu.png (Size: 37.97 KB / Downloads: 621)

When signed out:
Both worked well.

(Apr. 26, 2009 06:20 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  To have the footer form, as well as the "1 2 3 ... Next" links shown again...
Wored as expected no matter signed in or out.

(Apr. 26, 2009 06:20 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  The ads can't be removed without major effort (see below), but they can be hidden.
Hidden successful.
When signed in, Toggle CSS made the ads appear again, which is expected. However, when signed out, I didn't see any ads no matter if Toggle CSS.

(Apr. 26, 2009 06:20 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  To have the Google themes work again, see updated "Google Search: Alternate Display" and ". + Google Dark Blue Theme" in attached file.

(Apr. 28, 2009 03:33 AM)JJoe Wrote:  Searching with K-Meleon and the # version of Google gets an acceptable page with no numbers, date range box, thumbnails, or modifier links.
No date range box, thumbnails on signed in or out.
Numbers appeared on signed out but disappeared on signed in.

When signed out, google logo, arrows and other image were not shown but would show in one place when toggle css.

When signed out, page looked like zoomed in.

.png  google_signed_in.png (Size: 28.63 KB / Downloads: 613)

.png  google_signed_out_nocss.png (Size: 27.76 KB / Downloads: 606)

.png  google_singed_out.png (Size: 21.18 KB / Downloads: 615)
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:42 AM
I disabled NoScript and installed the changes (except for the ones for the alternate Google theme since I don't use those). They work great on Fx3 on XP Pro SP2 on VMWare Workstation. I don't see the ads on the right or at the top now. The Proxo menu now has the correct style sheet. I haven't tried this yet on Vista or on my host XP Pro machine with Fx 1.5.

But I noticed the Google Remove Ad Blocks doesn't merge where it should. It merges to the top of Proxo web page filters. I vaguely recall ProxRocks telling me how to do it correctly some time ago. I'll have to go look for the post.
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:36 AM
Very informative, thanks for the feedback guys/gals! Smile!

whenever, "#" results work for me (styles, numbers) in signed-in mode, too. That is at google.com with German and US IP. So it seems that for the moment there's nothing i could improve from here.

Mele, when importing updated webfilters with Merge-O-Matic, those are always supposed to show up at the top. That's because the filter name has changed (different version string, e.g. "9.04.28").

Normally you'd need to move the merged filter above its previous version, untick latter, save the config.
However, for this test it didn't matter.
Apr. 28, 2009, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: Apr. 28, 2009 04:37 PM by sidki3003.)
Above new entry for the JSProperties list, as well as posted updated filter versions aren't really work-arounds for the Ajaxian layout, but an attempt to get things more robust towards code changes, and to provide a fall-back - instead of a broken page - on fail.

If someone is in need of a similarly modified "dark gray" or "light blue" filter, let me know.

(Apr. 27, 2009 02:56 AM)whenever Wrote:  Maybe we can just fool Google that the browser doesn't support javascript to fully disable the ajax thing.

Here is an entry for IncludeExclude-U, which works for me (right now). It requires this updated filter.

Code:
www.google.[^/]+/extern_js/f/[^/]+/[^.]+.js$SET(sUserFn=§ya§)$SET(sUserFnR==)
Apr. 28, 2009, 10:34 PM
(Apr. 28, 2009 04:35 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  If someone is in need of a similarly modified "dark gray" or "light blue" filter, let me know.

"light blue" please. And thanks for the offer Smile!

soccerfan
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: Apr. 28, 2009 11:19 PM by sidki3003.)
Light blue, fall-back version (also requires these changes):
Code:
[Patterns]
Name = ". + Google Light Blue Theme     9.04.26 (!nn) [...] (o.s)"
Active = FALSE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)www.google.(^$TST(hOrigUA=mozilla/4.[1-9](^*opera)*))[^/]+/(intl/[^/]+/(^?)|search\?|webhp|(^?))"
Limit = 32
Match = "<style id="themed">"
        "$STOP(Code by: JD5000, sidki, Kye-U, ProxRocks, OZO)"
Replace = "<style>\r\n"
          "/* Proxomitron light blue Google theme */\r\n"
          ".g {margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; line-height: 16px;}\r\n"
          "div.g, p.g {line-height: 16px; padding: 2px 5px 4px 5px;}\r\n"
          ".odd {background: #EFF6FF;}\r\n"
          ".even {background: #DFEFFF;}\r\n"
          "br.mainspace {line-height: 3px;}\r\n"
          "a {text-decoration: none;}\r\n"
          "a:link, .q a:link, a.toplink:visited {color: #0C5AA9;}\r\n"
          "a:visited {color: #087D7E;}\r\n"
          "a:hover {text-decoration: underline;}\r\n"
          "a:hover, .q a:hover, a.fl:hover {color: #1689FF;}\r\n"
          "a#topthumb, a.mainlink {font-size: 15px;}\r\n"
          "a.mainlink:hover, a.toplink:hover"
          " {color: #1689FF; text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 1px solid #1689FF;}\r\n"
          "a.ProXPref:hover {color: #379CCD;}\r\n"
          "a.ProXPrefJs:hover {color: #968AFF;}\r\n"
          "a.ProXPref.mainlink {padding-right: 20px; background:"
          " url(http://local.ptron/sidki_h_$GET(cfg)/Google/google-bug.png) no-repeat right center;}\r\n"
          "a.ProXPrefJs {padding-right: 0; background: none;}\r\n"
          ".j {width: 100%;}\r\n"
          ".s {max-width: none; width: auto !important;}\r\n"