Facebook: Prevent Link "Chaining"
Apr. 16, 2009, 03:23 AM (This post was last modified: Apr. 16, 2009 03:23 AM by Kye-U.)
Facebook: Prevent Link "Chaining"
In the new Facebook design, there is a Javascript function that adds an onclick call to all links ( <a> ), making it so that when you click on a link, the HREF value gets appended to the current URL (prepended with a #), such as facebook.com/note.php?note_id=1111111111&ref=mf#/home.php?ref=logo

Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "FB: Prevent Link Chaining"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(js)[^/]++(facebook.com|fbcdn.net)/"
Limit = 22
Match = "_ElementController\('a'"
Replace = "_ElementController\('foo'"
Visit this user's website
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Apr. 16, 2009, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: Apr. 16, 2009 05:26 PM by lnminente.)
RE: Facebook: Prevent Link "Chaining"
Hi Kye-U, just a question, how did you get to that function? Watching the code with patience or there is a addon/software by there wich can help us to see what javascript functions are executed and what they do?
(I wish the answer is the seconde one, and you tell me his name Smile!

BTW, i think depending of the browser you use the #/home.php?ref=logo would not be sent to the server. Sidki wrote about that a month ago aprox.

Thanks for sharing Wink
Apr. 16, 2009, 07:21 PM
Related with the anchor text "#*":
I was in panoramio.com and i saw the # in the url to specify the GPS position
http://www.panoramio.com/map/#lt=43.3183...&a=1&tab=1
I isn't sent with my browser (Shiretoko 3.5b4pre), it request for http://www.panoramio.com/map/
Anyway maybe some javascripts are taking that info to sent it as request in the later request http://www.panoramio.com/map/get_panoram...uester=map
Apr. 16, 2009, 07:24 PM
(Apr. 16, 2009 05:24 PM)lnminente Wrote:  BTW, i think depending of the browser you use the #/home.php?ref=logo would not be sent to the server. Sidki wrote about that a month ago aprox.

that discussion was only in regards to sidki's "Prox Menu" functions...
Apr. 17, 2009, 03:45 PM
(Apr. 16, 2009 05:24 PM)lnminente Wrote:  Hi Kye-U, just a question, how did you get to that function? Watching the code with patience or there is a addon/software by there wich can help us to see what javascript functions are executed and what they do?

Unfortunately it was the first one, where I went through the various external JS files and searched for anything that was either "onclick" or "href" Wink If there's a program that does that, I'd love to get my hands on it!
Visit this user's website
Apr. 17, 2009, 05:23 PM
:_( ...hehe Well, with firebug we can see when some changes occurs, they are marked for some seconds in yellow color. It's not the best solution but maybe moving the body onload to a button and using firebug it could be helpful. Don't know just thinking aloud... Wink
Apr. 17, 2009, 08:19 PM
A browser should be using '#' and whatever follows it for page positioning of the response. I haven't seen a browser send out '#' in a URL request. Does Chrome or some other browser send that portion?
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:08 PM
I don't know of any.

"#" is also used for cross-frame communication lately, often on map sites, but also by Live Search and the new Yahoo Mail.
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:02 PM
Kye-u;
(Apr. 17, 2009 03:45 PM)Kye-U Wrote:  
(Apr. 16, 2009 05:24 PM)lnminente Wrote:  Hi Kye-U, just a question, how did you get to that function? Watching the code with patience or there is a addon/software by there wich can help us to see what javascript functions are executed and what they do?

Unfortunately it was the first one, where I went through the various external JS files and searched for anything that was either "onclick" or "href" Wink If there's a program that does that, I'd love to get my hands on it!
I'm not sure if you meant that you go through each file manually, or if by searching, you meant that you use a text editor to search each file.... Either way, I'm certain that any text editor meant for use by programmers can do what mine can - I can say 'search in files', and it will look for my search term in whatever directory I give it. The results come up in tabbed windows, handy for repeated searches with different terms. I'm sure other editors can do this too, but I've been using MED (from Utopia Planitia) for something like 17 or 18 years.

The good editors not only find whatever, but they can replace it too. Handy for keeping your whole project up to date, not just the current file. Cool

MED comes from Germany, the main site is http://www.med-editor.com
The English page can be found at http://www.med-editor.com/indexus.html

HTH

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Jun. 02, 2009, 06:39 PM
(Apr. 17, 2009 03:45 PM)Kye-U Wrote:  
(Apr. 16, 2009 05:24 PM)lnminente Wrote:  ...or there is a addon/software by there wich can help us to see what javascript functions are executed and what they do?
...If there's a program that does that, I'd love to get my hands on it!

With Firebug is possible to trace what javascript modifies, we can define some stop points to run the javascript step by step.

Anyway i came here to speak about an extension i discovered yesterday, it worths a try Wink

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10345
Jun. 02, 2009, 07:46 PM
some of these Fx add-ons are actually kinda cool...
Jun. 02, 2009, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: Jun. 02, 2009 08:17 PM by lnminente.)
Yep! But we have to be careful and better installing them in a profile exclusively for debugging to not slow down it. I use two different profiles at the same time when debugging: the original with the really needed addons and another profile called debug wich i call using Firefox.exe -p debug -no-remote

To create new profiles use this: firefox.exe -profilemanager

BTW Chrome also has implemented something very similar to firebug Smile!
Jun. 03, 2009, 02:13 AM
IE8 has the developer tools preinstalled too.