JakBeNymble Wrote:New incarnation:
Code:
In = TRUE
Out = TRUE
Key = "Connection: Close all connections (in+out) {JakBeNymble}"
URL = "[a..z]|[0-9]|\q|\p"
Match = "*|[#0-*]"
Replace = "close"
Hmm, should I be using this new reincarnation of JakBeNymble's 'close all'?
Or stick with his "original" 'close all':
Code:
In = TRUE
Out = TRUE
Key = "Connection: Close all connections (In+Out) {JakBeNymble} [add]"
Replace = "close"

My hunch is to stick with the "original"...
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 20, 2004, 10:56 AM

JakBeNymble Wrote:Hi "Guyz",
"Garcot"
If You disable the "Close Persistent Connections" in Proxo the connections can build and build as Proxo keeps trying to connect to the site or Proxy. You might need to enable it and set the seconds to some low value. That way the connections will be sure to be close after the alotted amount of time. This could be the source of the problem.

"Siamesecat", I'm not real good with "web-page" filters like some of the script-writers, so I'm not sure about the two "dots" between a & z, but I know that a & z set the perameter for the match. Also, I believe that the "|"("OR" character) in between has to do with "consuming" leading or trailing "white space" in the "MATCH". Maybe one of the other Script-Writers can shed some light on this. Me, ...I'm still learning. Smile!

Best Wishes,
"Jak"=:-)
Hi Jak,

Thanks for your query. You are right when you are using remote proxy. I don't use them, as they tend to slow down the connection speed. I don't find any difference in speed of closing open connections with or without "Persistent connection" set to small numeric value.

Regards
Garcot
Jul. 20, 2004, 11:00 AM

"Alto-Sax" taught Me that simplicity was always the best, . . .works for me. But it's always nice to play around with filters and see if improvements can be made. Like some script-writers like to use the "*" to capture everything, but I've learned that for Me, If I just leave the match line "blank" the filter works faster.
Just My two "dracmas", . . .Big Teeth

Take Care & Best Wishes,
"Happy-Jak" =:-)
Jul. 20, 2004, 11:01 AM

ProxRocks Wrote:
JakBeNymble Wrote:New incarnation:
Code:
In = TRUE
Out = TRUE
Key = "Connection: Close all connections (in+out) {JakBeNymble}"
URL = "[a..z]|[0-9]|\q|\p"
Match = "*|[#0-*]"
Replace = "close"
Hmm, should I be using this new reincarnation of JakBeNymble's 'close all'?
Or stick with his "original" 'close all':
Code:
In = TRUE
Out = TRUE
Key = "Connection: Close all connections (In+Out) {JakBeNymble} [add]"
Replace = "close"

My hunch is to stick with the "original"...
Hi ProxRocks,

I am curious to know, whether this modified filter helped you to close the open connections faster?

Thanks
Garcot
Jul. 20, 2004, 11:30 AM

If You are on a dial-up connection it would be best not use the Connection filter. Using it makes You "appear" to be using a Remote Proxy, but it can slow You down to a "crawl".

Best Wishes and Have just the Best Day ever,
"JaK" =:-)
Jul. 20, 2004, 11:35 AM

Do you guys know that this filter is part of Scott's default config since Naoko 4.0? Big Teeth
Code:
[HTTP headers]
In = FALSE
Out = FALSE
Key = "Connection: Close all connections (In+Out)"
Replace = "close"

sidki
Jul. 20, 2004, 12:34 PM

Nope, did not know that...
I never used Scott's default config...

garcot, have no clue...
Not only did I not see the need to switch from the 'close all' already present in my config, but I'm afraid I wouldn't know HOW to test which one closes them faster... As long as they are closed, that works for me...
Jul. 21, 2004, 12:18 AM

This filter causes problems when I try to post a message or attachment.
Visit this user's website
Jul. 21, 2004, 12:38 AM

Thank You "Sidki3003" for pointing that out. I believe in giving credit where credits due. Like the "batch file" in the last "Jakxpack" was named after "SHea" who worked out the problem using it on win98x. And certainly "Scott" deserves all the credit due him for all the work he did. Once again, "thank You My Good Friend".

I had worked on this filter back over at "Arne's". I discovered that when using a remote proxy, the connections are closed, but some checker-sites, knew that I was using a browser faking a Proxy because the connections stayed open. "HpGuru" posted that it was not that big of a problem, because if an "Admin" really wanted to track You down, that there were other ways that it could be done. :o And also it can slow surfin' down to a crawl. So I decided to "disable the filter". but it was still posted where anyone could copy & pasted it in their defaults. I hadn't thought much about it since then.

Best Wishes,
"Jak" Smile!
Jul. 21, 2004, 12:49 AM

Hey Jak, i always love to look at your filters, and your JakXPack is awesome! Big Teeth
Jul. 21, 2004, 01:05 AM

Thank You "Sidki3003" Smile! You blew Me away with that last filter-Set of Yours. Cheers It's the most elaborate Filter-Set that I've have ever seen. I think that "Scott" would have been proud of You for it, . . .I know that I am. Smile!

Best Wishes,
"Jak" =:-)
Jul. 22, 2004, 06:20 PM

It's getting kinda Saccharin-y around here! Wink

While searching the net for an exact definition of Max-yadda-yadda, I found this tip on one of the forums: add additional MaxConnections to your registry like so:

MaxConnectionsPer2_0Server = [your favorite number here]

Keep doing that up to 9_0. For once, I have no idea what is being accomplished here. (I realize that its a shock to some of you, seeing me admit to a lack of knowledge, but you're all young - you'll bounce back. Trust me. <_<)

FWIW, I found that enabling or disabling the Kill Connections filter in Scott's default set, or using the modified sidki version has no effect on my surfing speed. I'm on a fractional T1, so your mileage may vary. Adding the above suggestion has also had no effect (so far), but I'll report back in a few days with my impressions of any improvements/deleterious effects.

Kye-U, I too thought that it looked like "Why would I kill a connection, before it's even done its job?" OTOH, I asked myself, "Why would Scott write a filter to do this very thing, if it was gonna cause people to go 'WTF'?" Ergo, it should work as advertised, but like I said, I don't see any difference. Yet.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Jul. 22, 2004, 06:49 PM

All right - that's the last straw... WTF does "FWIW"mean?
Jul. 22, 2004, 06:53 PM

For What It's Worth

http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/acron.html
Visit this user's website
Jul. 22, 2004, 07:16 PM

Or ".acr/fwiw" Wink

Quote:ProxRocks&nbsp;
Posted: Jul 22 2004, 07:44 PM
Proxomitron Novice
lol...