How to close Open TCP Connections using Proxo
Jul. 01, 2004, 03:28 AM

Hi !

Can anyone help me with a Filter to Close all open connections after say 5 sec. ?

There are too many Open connections when I browse and they don't sometime close at all, this is slowing down my Browsing as Proxo still Busy.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Garcot
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jul. 02, 2004, 08:49 PM

Garcot;
Quote:Can anyone help me with a Filter to Close all open connections after say 5 sec. ?

There are too many Open connections when I browse and they don't sometime close at all, this is slowing down my Browsing as Proxo still Busy.

Garcot
I'm surprised that no one else has taken this one. Hmmm, maybe I'm about to stick something in my mouth that won't taste too good.... Ah, what the heck, I'll do it anyway! :P

There are at least two ways I can think of doing what you're asking (and probably more that I can't think of! [angry]). The first is to ascertain whether you are using HTTP 1.1 or HTTP 1.0. Check both your browser and Proxo to make sure they are both set the same way. If they aren't, then putting them in sync could be the solution to your problem.

Just for drill, HTTP 1.0 closes each connection after one request (GET) has been made, and it's response (RESP) has been received. (At least, that's what's supposed to happen, according to the gurus.) HTTP 1.1, OTOH, keeps the initial connection open for several seconds, and sends many requests at one time, without waiting for individual responses. Those responses might come back on the same connection, or new ones might be opened, depending on various circumstances.

If experimentation with these settings doesn't help, let us know. But if you do have to ask for more help, please attach a Log file using the Browse... button found below, just above the Add Reply and Preview Post buttons. Please don't insert your Log file as part of the message, that takes up a lot of room on our screens when scrolling through a thread. Thanks.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Jul. 19, 2004, 07:56 AM

Hi Oddysey,

I found this filter and I have modified a little the "URL" and "Match" and it works brilliantly well for me.

Infact, I have set in the Internet Settings
MaxConnectionsPerServer=128
MaxConnectionsper1_0Server=512

And this filter closes all open connections in a flash. The speed of Browsing is very high now. ( for IE6 and its clowns)

[HTTP headers]
In = TRUE
Out = TRUE
Key = "Connection: Close all connections (in+out) {JakBeNymble}"
URL = "[a..z]|[0-9]|\q|\p"
Match = "*|"[#0-*]""
Replace = "close"

I don't know whether the entries are the right way to do but it works great!

If you find you can modify and make it better, please help me and the rest of Proxo users.

Thanks
Garcot
Jul. 19, 2004, 07:59 AM

Very strange filter...

Won't it slow down your browsing speed by closing all connections before they start?

Anyways, the entries look a bit incorrect, but I can't put my finger on it right now... (4:00 AM)

But if it works for you, then it works Eyes Closed Smile
Visit this user's website
Jul. 19, 2004, 08:14 AM

Hello Kye-U,

Thanks for your express comments.

Actually, the pages are displayed Full and Connections close very fast. This enables me to visit one site after the other OR visiting multiple sites at once much faster.

No, the connections don't close before the entire page is displayed. I have done the experiment for the last 10 days or so.

Please let me know the corrections required. I am no good at writing filters independently. It has been an experimentation. It doesn't speed up Opera 7.5x as it is fast already. But works well with IE and MyIE2.

I also use a firewall ( Zonealarm Pro ) and block Proxo Loopback.

Thanks again
Garcot
Jul. 19, 2004, 09:37 AM

Hi "garcot",
Try this and see if this works better for You,
Quote:[HTTP headers]
In = TRUE
Out = TRUE
Key = "Connection: Close all connections (in+out) {JakBeNymble}"
Match = "*|[#0-*]"
Replace = "close"

Best Wishes,
"Jak" =:-)
Jul. 19, 2004, 10:01 AM

Hi "Jak",

I am not seeing any modification in the filter proposed by you. Is it the same as what you have given under "Quote" or have you missed adding the modified Filter to your reply?

Thanks
Garcot
Jul. 19, 2004, 10:07 AM

I changed the "match" from "*|"[#0-*]"" to "*|[#0-*]"

I should have asked, is it "persistent connections" (Between Browser & Proxo), or is it connections between Proxo and Server? If so, are You using Remote Proxies to surf though? If You are using Proxies, are You "Rotating" them? If they are slow or are down, Proxo will keep trying to make a connection and then Pesistent connections can build up. You can set PRoxo to close these connections out by click on "Configure", then "HTTP" tab, there You can set Proxo close out the connection after so many seconds. By default Proxo is set to close persistent connects after 10 seconds.

Also if You are copying & Pasting the filter a line at a time(Header filters->New) You have to remove the " from the beinning and ending or the filter values. But if You are Copying the whole filter and "editing" Your default configs, You leave them. I know it can get kinda of confusing, . . .but then I'm "crazy" anyways, . .hahahahah

Best Wishes,
"Jak" =:-)
Jul. 19, 2004, 12:05 PM

Hi "Jak",

Thanks for your clarification. Actually, I have disabled Persistent Connection timer.
And secondly, I mean the connections between Proxo and Server/Servers. I have set 128 connections /server and that is a very large value and this filter helps me open almost about 10 of my favourite pages at a time and super fast. Infact, for Opera7.x if you are using HTTP1.1, the browser doesn't like Proxo's persistent connection timer setting.

By the way, did you try this filter and noticed any improvements in IE6 browsing speeds? if you have internet settings set for large no.of connections per server?

Thanks again
Garcot
Jul. 19, 2004, 12:21 PM

Yes I tried the filter out before that I posted My reply and its seems to work well. My "Max-connections" are still set at default. But I usually have them set at 16/32 or 8/16. I use a program called cable-nut to optomized my connection. http://www.cablenut.com/
I have Proxo setup to close all persistent connections after 5 seconds, that seems to work the best for Me with this machine.

Best Wishes,
"Jak"=:-)
Jul. 19, 2004, 12:38 PM

Thanks Jak for all the feedback. I just hope it would help all the proxo users atleast to an extent.

Regards
Garcot
Jul. 19, 2004, 09:10 PM

Very cool filter...I will use it from now on Eyes Closed Smile No slow down...
Visit this user's website
Jul. 20, 2004, 07:05 AM

Code:
Match = "*|[#0-*]"
What are the two dots do in a..z?
In that match, why would the check for a number ever be done?
The "*" matches everything.
Jul. 20, 2004, 07:07 AM

Oops. I meant, what do the two dots do?
Jul. 20, 2004, 10:38 AM

Hi "Guyz",
"Garcot"
If You disable the "Close Persistent Connections" in Proxo the connections can build and build as Proxo keeps trying to connect to the site or Proxy. You might need to enable it and set the seconds to some low value. That way the connections will be sure to be close after the alotted amount of time. This could be the source of the problem.

"Siamesecat", I'm not real good with "web-page" filters like some of the script-writers, so I'm not sure about the two "dots" between a & z, but I know that a & z set the perameter for the match. Also, I believe that the "|"("OR" character) in between has to do with "consuming" leading or trailing "white space" in the "MATCH". Maybe one of the other Script-Writers can shed some light on this. Me, ...I'm still learning. Smile!

Best Wishes,
"Jak"=:-)