Block Scripts but Allow Prox Menu
Feb. 05, 2009, 02:06 PM
Block Scripts but Allow Prox Menu
I need to block scripts on some sites that take forever loading because they use a lot if it. Also, this is for an old, low-powered PC using Win 98. It was purchased in 2000 to give you an idea.

I know how to block all scripts on a site using IncludeExclude-U.ptxt. I just set the site for "$SET(0=i_script:2.)". This nixes the Prox Menu. I want to have the Prox Menu. Is there a way I can do this?

TIA
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Feb. 05, 2009, 04:34 PM
RE: Block Scripts but Allow Prox Menu
"i_script:2" doesn't affect Proxomitron's own script, hence the Prox menu should show up, unless you're in Minimal Mode.

Maybe other possible changes/additions that you've applied to the default config are interfering here, dunno.
Feb. 05, 2009, 07:12 PM
Sidki you are absolutey right of course. I coud have sworn it didn't appear. I guess it's possible that chugging along with a slow cpu sometimes might make the triangle appear slowly or not at all. I did downgrade my flash version just before I posted. It seems unlikely but perhaps the downgrade helped the menu problem some how. The downgrade did keep my browsers from crashing on certain youtube videos. Thanks for you reply and your configs.
Feb. 05, 2009, 07:38 PM
Good to hear that you solved it.

I've indeed changed something in the last beta that may or may not fit to what you're seeing: Under high CPU load the menu is waiting up to 25 seconds, trying to show up every 500 ms. If the load is still too high to get its x/y position right, it will rather fail silently, than popping up (at a mostly inaccessible spot). That doesn't affect the little triangle icon though.
Feb. 05, 2009, 08:45 PM
Well I did find your latest snapshot of IncludeExclude.ptxt and installed that shortly before or after I posted. I truly do believe the triangle was not appearing because this was going on for weeks. I have made no changes to your basic config of the 2009 beta. I am not worried about it but my guess is that it was flash related. I had version 9 installed and then found I was getting browser crashes on youtubes. Then traversed the adobe site to find that 9 was tested by adobe on a 2 core cpu with three times the speed of mine. Installed 8 and no more browser crashes on those youtubes.

I wanted to ask another question and will put it here. I'll post to another thread if that's preferred. In IE on certain sites the activex dialog appears asking me to install flash. This is happening because of the downgrade from 9 to 8. I have worked out a kludge that sort of works by setting the user agent to googlebot in IncludeExclude-U.ptxt. I'm not completely sure I'm doing this right but the line is:

example.com/ $SET(0=f_ua_gbot.)

The problem with the above is that the page never completely loads. There is always one item remaining to be downloaded whch I guess is the activex install dialog. The page is useable but apparently becuse it never loads completely the prox triangle will not appear. Now I don't want to block all scripts on these pages, just the one that brings up the activex install dialog. Of course there is no problem in my other browsers, firefox and opera, as neither uses activex.

Is there something you can suggest?

Thank you.
Feb. 05, 2009, 10:18 PM
You could try ID'ing as another user-agent.
Gecko: $SET(0=f_ua_moz.)
Any.other.user-agent: $SET(0=f_ua_§Any%2eother%2euser-agent.)
(dots must be replaced by "%2e")

Beyond that i don't know either.
Feb. 05, 2009, 11:12 PM
OK thanks Sidki. I tried it but the same thing happened.