Late topic reply notification emails, Yahoo problem?
Jan. 27, 2009, 11:34 AM
Late topic reply notification emails, Yahoo problem?
Hello,

This isn't just specific to this site, but I thought I would post this here seeing as it does include this site;

I very often receive 'instant email notifications' of new topic replies pretty late, sometimes a day or so late.
I haven't yet extensively tested possible factors or srutinised headers, but does anybody else also find this when using any specific brand of free email? My relevant email accounts are Yahoo based, using either mail.btinternet.com or mail.yahoo.co.uk. I am using the SpamGuard Plus detection available in the webmail interface.

'Normal' emails don't seem to be delayed.

I'll try turning off the spam detection now for a while, in case that makes any difference, however I am still interested if any of you have a similar issue under any circumstances you've managed to pinpoint.

Thanks,
Lee
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 27, 2009, 12:26 PM
RE: Late topic reply notification emails, Yahoo problem?
I had problems with email notifications too, some of them 10 days later, for that reason i asked Kye-U to use post based feeds, instead of thread based feeds. To avoid the problem i disabled email notifications from here and suscribed better to the feeds.
Jan. 27, 2009, 12:32 PM
Hello Inminente,

Do you get the problem on other sites/forums too? It doesn't seem, for me, to be only specific to this site.
Which email provider and any spam detection are you using?

I did however receive this notification promptly. Turning off the Yahoo SpamGuard Plus may be making a difference, but I'm not sure. I'll monitor it for a few days or longer and see if the problem goes away with SpamGuard turned off.

Lee
Jan. 27, 2009, 02:23 PM
I only had late receptions from here and in a account from yahoo with SpamGuard enabled.
It's really strange, 10 days later!!... When it thinks is spam it should go directly to the spam folder, or maybe could be something related with their antivirus at yahoo servers, but no attachments in the emails.

Another possibility is yahoo receiving too much email notifications from our forum, and it's his way to saying we to use another method for notifications.

Anyway, the best is using Brief for Firefox and suscribing to the feeds
Jan. 27, 2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks Inminente,

It does indeed sound like we've hit upon a highly likely common cause; the Yahoo SpamGuard Plus. This notification and another just arrived promptly with it still turned off.
I previously tried searching the net for any mention of Yahoo users getting late email, but I'll now try again including the SpamGuard factor. Might at least be interesting to understand why it is happening on these kinds of emails and apparently not others.

I may look into web feeds (RSS feeds?). I previously have never fully grasped their purpose or use, but maybe it is time for me to look afresh into them.
Smile!

Lee
Jan. 27, 2009, 07:31 PM
Hi Lee, i'm pretty sure you will love the rss feeds, i'm addicted now Wink

A related post where i spoke about the problem about late notifications: Petition to improve the RSS feeds