German umlauts and other special characters
Jan. 26, 2009, 10:44 AM
German umlauts and other special characters
Bfilter can't handle German umlauts and other special characters. Its not possible to create filters that contain üäö etc., its also impossible to block URLs like http://www.südsee.org/. After restarting in the urls.local all umlauts are shown as ? (http://www.s?dsee.org/).
If you try to save filters with umlauts Bfilter says for example "The value for 'Replace' could not be converted to your local."

It is possible to change this in a further version?

Many thanks!
Einsteiger
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 26, 2009, 11:03 AM
RE: German umlauts and other special characters
Supporting international characters in filters would be very hard, because web content may be in different encodings, and we would need not only to decode them, but also re-encode them after filtering. Also it would mean switching the filtering engine to Unicode, which is not easy.

As with urls.local, it's more simple, but not exactly easy. In fact if your Regional Settings in Windows would be German, it might work as it is.

Having said that, I have to add that the project is pretty much abandoned these days. I was the only one working on it, but I lost my interest and moved to other projects instead.
Jan. 26, 2009, 11:54 AM
RE: German umlauts and other special characters
Thanks for your fast response!
(Jan. 26, 2009 11:03 AM)jart Wrote:  Having said that, I have to add that the project is pretty much abandoned these days. I was the only one working on it, but I lost my interest and moved to other projects instead.
Oh, bad news Sad
Unfortunately I have no programing skills and can't help. Will be Bfilter updated if there are any bugs or new technology like a new major Flash version? I hope Bfilter will not die, its the best program I know and works very well!
Which projects do you focussed on?

Quote:As with urls.local, it's more simple, but not exactly easy. In fact if your Regional Settings in Windows would be German, it might work as it is.
I switched for some month to Linux Big Teeth But unfortunately there it doens't work.